Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Which type of free ticket changes (same dates, same origin/destination) are permitted by UA in the event of a 2+ hour change to departure or arrival time to one direction of a roundtrip flight? I do not want to refund and rebook, rather I want to book a (more expensive) routing without paying the fare difference.

-Am I permitted to make adjustments to both directions even if only one had a schedule change?
-Am I permitted to switch from a connecting flight to a nonstop?
-Am I permitted to use a co-terminal airport?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by third_wave
Which type of free ticket changes (same dates, same origin/destination) are permitted by UA in the event of a 2+ hour change to departure or arrival time to one direction of a roundtrip flight? I do not want to refund and rebook, rather I want to book a (more expensive) routing without paying the fare difference.

-Am I permitted to make adjustments to both directions even if only one had a schedule change?
1- Yes, I did that in the past
2- Yes
3- You could change the origin/destination airport within 150 miles radius from the originally booked one.

By the way, a kind reminder that only the first change would have the fare difference waived. If you would like to do a voluntary change after you have re-ticketed your booking with new tickets, you might be asked to pay a fare difference.
third_wave likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I permitted to make adjustments to both directions even if only one had a schedule change?
That would be at the discretion of the agent, but probably not. (ETA: if the schedule change results in changing the length of a trip, the agent will almost always allow you to make a corresponding change at the other end to maintain trip length)

Am I permitted to switch from a connecting flight to a nonstop?
Yes.

Am I permitted to use a co-terminal airport?
Also at the agent's discretion.
SPN Lifer and third_wave like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Jan 7, 2021 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 100 mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
Please see footnote below regarding the handling of United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.
third_wave likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thank you! (And thanks to others who have chimed in) I was able to rebook at no additional cost onto a non-stop from a nearby airport.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by jsloan
SOP is for them to issue an ETC with the same expiration date as the original one that was used. However, I know there have been occasional reports of people getting a brand new expiration date instead, which would be 2 years from the day the cancellation was made.
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
I asked a GS agent about this a while ago and she said a refund of a ticket bought with an ETC would always generate a new ETC with an expiration date 2 years from the refunding date. This has also been my experience
So my much anticipated schedule change happened and was offered "you can cancel and refund to form of payment" was the message online. The original FOP was a ETC and there was residual value left on that ETC. I went ahead and cancelled. It issued a new ETC with a two year expiry from today. The original ETC with the residual value is still there with the old date.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
I got an email regarding my next trip: "Your flight 29 on 2/2/2021 has been canceled. We know this was not part of your travel plans. Unfortunately, we do not have an option to re-book you on another United flight at this time."
So i cancelled the hole itin into an FFC (the only ckoice given)
After that I requested a refund.
Was that the correct way ? and why is the choice for a refund not given during the cancellation?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zappa42m
I got an email regarding my next trip: "Your flight 29 on 2/2/2021 has been canceled. We know this was not part of your travel plans. Unfortunately, we do not have an option to re-book you on another United flight at this time."
So i cancelled the hole itin into an FFC (the only ckoice given)
After that I requested a refund.
Was that the correct way ? and why is the choice for a refund not given during the cancellation?
That was not the correct way. You should have requested the refund right away. The system has gotten better offering refunds to the OFP right away, but it is not perfect. It should still work even with requesting flight credit first, but technically you accepted that solution.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
That was not the correct way. You should have requested the refund right away. The system has gotten better offering refunds to the OFP right away, but it is not perfect. It should still work even with requesting flight credit first, but technically you accepted that solution.
I disagree; I don't think it makes any practical difference. "Flight credit" is just an unused ticket retained on the account. Asking for flight credit is akin to asking them to do nothing at all. It should still be possible to get a refund in any situation where one is entitled.

Accepting Electronic Travel Credit, on the other hand, could cause problems.
SPN Lifer and StuckinITH like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:27 pm

The price of a non-refundable, round-trip ticket I purchased (in December) has dropped by 1/3 of the price that I paid. The itinerary has changed from when I purchased the ticket such that outgoing and returning flights have had departure or arrival shifted by more than 2 hours. I am actually okay with the itinerary change, but what would happen if I were to cancel, get a refund, and re-book the same itinerary at the lower price? Would there be any negative repercussions by doing this? Would I be abusing the relaxed change/cancellation policy too much and therefore hastening the return of high change fees?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by raytheyounger
The price of a non-refundable, round-trip ticket I purchased (in December) has dropped by 1/3 of the price that I paid. The itinerary has changed from when I purchased the ticket such that outgoing and returning flights have had departure or arrival shifted by more than 2 hours. I am actually okay with the itinerary change, but what would happen if I were to cancel, get a refund, and re-book the same itinerary at the lower price? Would there be any negative repercussions by doing this? Would I be abusing the relaxed change/cancellation policy too much and therefore hastening the return of high change fees?
No - you give UA a bunch o' money for a ticket. If you don't like the itinerary change, you can ask for a refund ('tho I suspect you'll get an ETC).

Whether with the returned cash or an ETC, book what you want.

David
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If there is a schedule change of more than 2 hours, you will definitively eligble for a refund to the original form of purchase. There will be no issue for you to repurchase the same itin. This is sufficiently an unique set of circumstances so doubt UA is going to change things to prevent this.

UA historically has had a policy to allow you to take advantage of a price drop within 30 days of the orginal purchase for a $50 fee (without needing a schedule change)
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:49 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies. If I log in to United and go to cancel my trip, I am given two options: 1) rebook later with FFC, 2) refund to original form of payment. The description under option 2 is as follows.

Select this option to refund the value of this ticket (less any applicable cancellation fees) to the original form of payment. Though there may be an active travel waiver which waives change fees, it doesn't waive cancellation fees.If cancellation fees apply, you may be eligible for a full refund if your flights have been severely adjusted or service to your destination has been suspended. Visit the Refunds page to submit your refund request.

In this instance (schedule change over 2 hours, economy ticket, no airline status), will I need to submit an additional request for refund of cancellation fees after cancelling the trip?

In regards to option 1 (FFC), it says travel must begin by December 2021 (one year after original ticket purchase). In this and other threads I have understood this to mean I must book my next flight by December 2021 and fly by December 2022. Is my understanding correct or in error?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks for the helpful replies. If I log in to United and go to cancel my trip, I am given two options: 1) rebook later with FFC, 2) refund to original form of payment. The description under option 2 is as follows.

Select this option to refund the value of this ticket (less any applicable cancellation fees) to the original form of payment. Though there may be an active travel waiver which waives change fees, it doesn't waive cancellation fees.If cancellation fees apply, you may be eligible for a full refund if your flights have been severely adjusted or service to your destination has been suspended. Visit the Refunds page to submit your refund request.

In this instance (schedule change over 2 hours, economy ticket, no airline status), will I need to submit an additional request for refund of cancellation fees after cancelling the trip?

In regards to option 1 (FFC), it says travel must begin by December 2021 (one year after original ticket purchase). In this and other threads I have understood this to mean I must book my next flight by December 2021 and fly by December 2022. Is my understanding correct or in error?
No, your understanding is unfortunately wrong, if you select option 1 ( FFC ) you must begin travel ( flying ) by December 2021. It's Electronic Travel Certificates that you must use until the date on it and you could fly at a future date.

As the new ticket is 1/3 of the old ticket, go for the refund route and purchase the same flights as another ticket. Then, you would have a ticket validity starting from the day you book the new ticket. When you press the refund button ( option 2 ), you wouldn't need to take any further action and your ticket would be automatically in the refund queue and you should see the refund in your bank/credit card statement within a couple of days.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
No, your understanding is unfortunately wrong, if you select option 1 ( FFC ) you must begin travel ( flying ) by December 2021. It's Electronic Travel Certificates that you must use until the date on it and you could fly at a future date.

As the new ticket is 1/3 of the old ticket, go for the refund route and purchase the same flights as another ticket. Then, you would have a ticket validity starting from the day you book the new ticket. When you press the refund button ( option 2 ), you wouldn't need to take any further action and your ticket would be automatically in the refund queue and you should see the refund in your bank/credit card statement within a couple of days.
Thanks for setting me straight.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.