Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I had an interesting one last night.

Our flights, EWR-MCO-EWR for late August were changed. Our outbound was changed from a 9:45am departure on a 752 to a 9:30am departure on a 739. Our return was changed from the last departure of the evening at 8:55pm on a 738 to the new last evening departure at 7:00pm on a 739.

Under trip management, UA gave me the normal one chance to make changes penalty free. I changed to the 10:35am outbound, to preserve the 752 (we'll see if that holds in 4 months), and changed our return to the 10:20am departure the next day, to be able to spend more time in Disney the previous day (We were originally going to get a hotel in EWR after the flight, now we'll just get the hotel in MCO before the flight). When I checked out, everything showed as a zero dollar change and all seemed OK.

When I submitted, I received an error, stating that my changes were saved but I need to contact UA to have our itinerary re-ticketed. When I contacted them, the agent told me I need to pay about $200.00 more per person. The agent said that my changes were too significant to warrent a free change. I had to point out that on the way down, all I want is the first flight AFTER my original departure time rather than the first flight BEFORE. For the return, I said that I don't have the ability to make it to the airport in time for a flight almost 2 hours earlier. I then made a math error and pointed out that since the return flight was more then United's 2 hour threshold (It was actually a 1' 55" difference), that I was entitled to a cash refund if I wanted one.

Thankfully I was successful in getting the changes approved without additional payment, but which rule governs? The website said no fare difference, one time only, but then the agent said I still have to pay.

If I'm reading the website right, the statement "... we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. ..." means they will make the change with out any payment. However we all know how friendly UA can be at times and I can see that statement interpreted a few different ways, and UA choosing to interpret in a way that is less customer friendly. Also, the statement "other flight options may be available." Keep in mind that other options are almost always available, for additional payment.

(Note: Deciphering very technical text and instructions and trying to determine the author's meaning and intention, with possibly needing to defend myself from discipline if I'm wrong, is a frequent task at my job.)

Schedule Change Policy

Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This are the formal instructions for travel agents on schedule changes of 30 mins to short of the 2 hour refund clause

Your change was well within the rules, the agent was wrong
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Yesterday I cancelled two roundtrips. (FRA-EWR, EWR-SFO-LAS-LAX-EWR booked in 07/2020)
FFC's were issued right away. Then I requested a refund for both because of a lot of schedulechanges (all under 2 hours) and the still in place travelban for Germans into the USA.
Today I received mails with ETC's.
Thats fine for me
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: United Airlines, National, Holiday Inn, Marriot
ETC Vs. Refund

This may not be the most accurate thread for this, but it is related to the issuance of an ETC. The original flight had a partner airline but they won't allow the ETC to be used on any flights that have a partner connection. I thought the original flight was cancelled (May 2020), but they are saying there were no issues and only an ETC applies. Does anyone know of a way to look up historical flights without purchasing a subscription? I've looked quite a bit. UA907 ORD-FRA on 5/26/20.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by The DooDah Man
This may not be the most accurate thread for this, but it is related to the issuance of an ETC. The original flight had a partner airline but they won't allow the ETC to be used on any flights that have a partner connection. I thought the original flight was cancelled (May 2020), but they are saying there were no issues and only an ETC applies. Does anyone know of a way to look up historical flights without purchasing a subscription? I've looked quite a bit. UA907 ORD-FRA on 5/26/20.
not entirely clear from your post. So if your flight was indeed cancelled in May 2020 then you should get a refund and neither an ETC or FFC. Did you already accept an ETC back in May 2020? And you are now trying to convert that to something else? That is not possible I am afraid. What you can do is use the ETC, buy yourself a refundable UA flight and then use the workaround. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by zappa42m
Yesterday I cancelled two roundtrips. (FRA-EWR, EWR-SFO-LAS-LAX-EWR booked in 07/2020)
FFC's were issued right away. Then I requested a refund for both because of a lot of schedulechanges (all under 2 hours) and the still in place travelban for Germans into the USA.
Today I received mails with ETC's.
Thats fine for me
So was this a two-step process? First you got a future flight credit, then you called in for the ETC?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
UA COVID-19 Cancellation Flight Change Policies

I've been out of the loop on the latest COVID-19 cancellation and flight change policies. I just received my AMEX Platinum and I need to meet the minimum spending requirement. There is probably no better way to do that than to book direct with UA and earn 5x MR points. I want to do some speculative bookings between now and the next few weeks for travel in Q1 2022. This will not only help me meet the MSR, but hopefully take advantage of some good deals. I fully expect to be vaccinated by the end of this year. Obviously no one here will know when borders will re-open. I'm looking at some USA-Canada fares and USA-Asia fares. In the event, I need to cancel due to border closure or other COVID-19 related issues, can I fully cancel and get a refund? If not, will I get a travel credit? If I need to change the flight dates, will I need to pay the fare difference if the fare cost more in the future or a refund if the fare cost less?

Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
... In the event, I need to cancel due to border closure or other COVID-19 related issues, can I fully cancel and get a refund? ...
No if the flight operates on schedule

... If not, will I get a travel credit? ...
Yes

... If I need to change the flight dates, will I need to pay the fare difference if the fare cost more in the future or a refund if the fare cost less? ....
If a voluntary change (anything not caused by UA) fare difference will be at issue

Involuntary changes greater than 2 hours or a cancellation and no alternative with 2 hours, then a refund is possible

Involuntary change of more than 30 mins but less than 2 hours -- fare difference will be if the following is followed
Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 100 mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
Voluntary (non-UA caused changes), you will be responsible for fare difference

Full details in the wiki

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2021 at 9:12 pm Reason: wiki
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No if the flight operates on schedule

Yes

If a voluntary change (anything not caused by UA) fare difference will be at issue

Involuntary changes greater than 2 hours or a cancellation and no alternative with 2 hours, then a refund is possible

Involuntary change of more than 30 mins but less than 2 hours -- fare difference will be if the following is followed

Voluntary (non-UA caused changes), you will be responsible for fare difference
Since you said I'll get a travel credit if I voluntarily cancel, I'm assuming I'll get a credit deposited into my travel bank? Then I'll have something like 5 years to use the credit? Let's say I book SFO-SIN for January 10, 2022, when is the absolute latest date to cancel and still get a travel credit? I'm assuming I'll receive a credit equivalent to the amount of the fare?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2021 at 9:15 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:20 pm

Since you said I'll get a travel credit if I voluntarily cancel, I'm assuming I'll get a credit deposited into my travel bank? Then I'll have something like 5 years to use the credit?
No
You will get a FFC good for two years from original flight purchase date. You may be able to change to an ETC good for two years after issued (but not usable for partner flights). No flights go into the Travel Bank (something many would like but not the way it happens today).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html

Fare differences (in your favor) are now handled as a new form of FFC.

Flights can be cancelled anytime prior to the GA closing the flight (but best not to push that limit too close).
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No
You will get a FFC good for two years from original flight purchase date. You may be able to change to an ETC good for two years after issued (but not usable for partner fligths). No flights go into the Travel Bank (something many would like but not the way it happens today).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html

Fare differences (in your favor) are now handled as a new form of FFC.
When is the absolute latest date to cancel and still get a travel credit?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:25 pm

When is the absolute latest date to cancel and still get a travel credit?
Flights can be cancelled anytime prior to the GA closing the flight (but best not to push that limit too close).
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you and that's good to know. Based on what you said, I feel pretty safe doing these speculative bookings. Since it doesn't appear that I'll get a full refund, I guess I can lock in my 5x MR and CC spend?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by The DooDah Man
Originally Posted by cfischer
not entirely clear from your post. So if your flight was indeed cancelled in May 2020 then you should get a refund and neither an ETC or FFC. Did you already accept an ETC back in May 2020? And you are now trying to convert that to something else? That is not possible I am afraid. What you can do is use the ETC, buy yourself a refundable UA flight and then use the workaround. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.
It is quite clear that The DooDah Man is seeking our assistance in determining whether or not UA 907 was cancelled or actually flew ORD-FRA on Tuesday, 26 May 2020 — and if so, the extent of any schedule change.

We may recall that early in the pandemic, UA was taking an extraordinarily hard line in wrongly denying refunds for cancelled or rescheduled flights (issuing ETCs instead), forcing many to file complaints with the USDOT.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I booked a business class ticket in early January (used FTC and cc for the balance) and about a week later the fare dropped $130 and remained there. I called 4/11 and they issued me a refund back to the cc for the difference, which was a pleasant surprise. I had a confirmation email from them on 4/15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.