Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact Uniteds Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:15 am

Getting points back after flight canceled for weather?

I have a flight paid for with miles. If United cancels my flight I am sure they will offer an alternative in the next few days. If I don't want what they have available, can I just cancel and get my points back? This would be after the "departure" of the canceled flight.

They are forecasting 40mph wind gusts tomorrow, and the plane might be coming from someplace even worse.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingtoller
I have a flight paid for with miles. If United cancels my flight I am sure they will offer an alternative in the next few days. If I don't want what they have available, can I just cancel and get my points back? This would be after the "departure" of the canceled flight.
Assuming the total delay is at least two hours, yes.

Even if it isn't, as long as you cancel prior to being marked a no-show for the flight, you'd be able to get a refund without paying the no-show fee. (And even if you do get marked as a no-show, if the delay was significant enough, you may be able to talk your way out of the fee after the fact).

In all cases, it will be easier to manage if you are able to reject the new itinerary before it departs. The United app has a 'canceled / delayed flight' mode where it will present options, including cancellation.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Invol Refund of Ticket Paid With A Travel Credit

We had F class tickets on a flight yesterday which cancelled due to a mechanical. The earliest UA could get us on our way is today and in economy class. This would cause us to miss a meeting this morning so we elected to purchase tickets at our own expense on Delta. The tickets had been purchased using a "travel credit" from another ticket which I had purchased in February but had to cancel.This credit has a "travel by date" of 2/19/2024. My understanding of DOT rules is that if UA cancels a flight for reasons within their control they are required to refund the price of the flight. My question is: since this ticket was paid for with a travel credit (which was still my money, not compensation for something like an oversale) am I entitled to a cash refund of the value of the travel credit? We will not be traveling on UA before the expiration of the credit so I would be out almost $800 if I have no financial recourse from UA's cancellation yesterday. Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
put in a refund request. The old 'travel by date' is not relevant anymore ... when you bought the 'new ticket' with the FFC sets the new 'fly by date' for any FFC.

It becomes complicated w/ such refunds, but I have been able to get them.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
My question is: since this ticket was paid for with a travel credit (which was still my money, not compensation for something like an oversale) am I entitled to a cash refund of the value of the travel credit? We will not be traveling on UA before the expiration of the credit so I would be out almost $800 if I have no financial recourse from UA's cancellation yesterday. Thanks for any advice.
Refunds are to the original form of payment, which in this case is a credit and not money. You will get a refund in the form of a credit.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.