Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund,New DOT ruling,UA processing refunds

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund,New DOT ruling,UA processing refunds

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 31, 22, 2:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Old snapshots of jetstream
Spoiler

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 16, 20, 11:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That's wrong though. The traveler did not pay for a specific date, or flight. The traveler paid for travel consistent with the carrier's contract of carriage, which included a non-refundability restriction. Which, indeed means the traveler agreed to the gift card.

The traveler didn't have to do this. The traveler had the choice to pay more money and have a fully refundable ticket.

Credit card chargeback rules do not override contractual restrictions on refunds. They just don't. If the airline refused to give credit (as has happened with ULCC's who have failed and gone out of business), the traveler would have a valid basis for a chargeback. But simply holding the traveler to his argeement with the airline- that the ticket was nonrefundable- is not a failure to receive paid for services.
Are we talking about two different scenarios?

If a passenger has a non-refundable ticket and the flight is cancelled by the airline or becomes insolvent, a refund is due to passenger. Either the airlines refund from their end or passenger initiates a chargeback which would be a valid chargeback for the situation described in this paragraph.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, kb1992 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:41 am
Suspended

That's wrong though. The traveler did not pay for a specific date, or flight. The traveler paid for travel consistent with the carrier's contract of carriage, which included a non-refundability restriction. Which, indeed means the traveler agreed to the gift card.

The traveler didn't have to do this. The traveler had the choice to pay more money and have a fully refundable ticket.

Credit card chargeback rules do not override contractual restrictions on refunds. They just don't. If the airline refused to give credit (as has happened with ULCC's who have failed and gone out of business), the traveler would have a valid basis for a chargeback. But simply holding the traveler to his argeement with the airline- that the ticket was nonrefundable- is not a failure to receive paid for services.
Courts do not let businesses market to consumers (i.e. United.com saying refund after 2 hour schd change) in ways inconsistent with the an underlying contract the business is attempting to enforce. AMEX would have a similar position in deciding a chargeback request.
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:57 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Courts do not let businesses market to consumers (i.e. United.com saying refund after 2 hour schd change) in ways inconsistent with the an underlying contract the business is attempting to enforce. AMEX would have a similar position in deciding a chargeback request.
These policies are subject to change.

Indeed, I haven't read a CoC in awhile, but my recollection is that the 2 hour thing was never a written rule in the CoC. The written rule is a nonrefundable fare is nonrefundable with a fee for change (which has now been waived by the airline). It's a discretionary policy to waive contractual provisions, which is why UA can change it.

At any rate, good luck with your chargebacks. I suspect you will have better luck trying to convince UA to give you a refund.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
An extensive discussion of chargebacks probably belongs elsewhere and without some actual experiences is not going to be resolved here. So let's get back to UA focused discussion (and leave the debating lawyers discussion for another forum).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 16, 20, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These policies are subject to change.

Indeed, I haven't read a CoC in awhile, but my recollection is that the 2 hour thing was never a written rule in the CoC. The written rule is a nonrefundable fare is nonrefundable with a fee for change (which has now been waived by the airline). It's a discretionary policy to waive contractual provisions, which is why UA can change it.

At any rate, good luck with your chargebacks. I suspect you will have better luck trying to convince UA to give you a refund.
Yes, UA doesn't really have a specific schedule change that is eligible for a refund in their CoC. It only says that it will provide a free change should the departure/arrival change by 30 minutes or more. There is language that you are entitled to a refund if you are "not transported as provided" via one of their alternative options. It's not clear if the passenger refuses all offered alternative transport options, it will trigger the refund. I suspect they interpret the "as provided" part as meaning if you refuse all options, you aren't actually due a refund. DL makes it clear in their CoC that a flight cancellation or 90 minute change is sufficient for a refund if desired "at passenger's request" and so doesn't really have any wiggle room.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 16, 20 at 7:13 pm
Old Mar 16, 20, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm still not sure what to do with my UA tickets to Toronto. Borders were technically not closed, but you have to self-isolate for 14 days when you arrive? What kind of vacation is that? Problem is we bought the tickets last August for April so have a very small window to replace a trip.

Hang tight and hope they say "no travel to Canada"? Would UA have to give a cash refund then?
Old Mar 16, 20, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Hang tight and hope they say "no travel to Canada"? Would UA have to give a cash refund then?
UA is trying hard to avoid giving cash refunds at all. However, an outright travel ban might do it.

In the meantime, yes, I would hang tight and hope that something changes, and, at a minimum, that they agree to extend tickets beyond the normal one-year validity, as DL did yesterday.
TerryK likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 5:26 pm

Question Refund on cancelled ticket when paid with ETC

Hi All,

I had to recently cancel my trip to Florida and took benefit from United free cancellation due to Covid-19.
It is said that I need to call the airline and provide the confirmation number of my cancelled trip to reuse the amount paid.
Calling is not the easiest when you try to book a flight, always easier to do it online to see all the option.

Do you think I can ask for a refund, if the trip was initially paid with an ETC ?

Bottom line, they told me my credit is valid 1 year since the date of the ticket purchase. Which is a couple month additional than the validity of my ETC.
Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 16, 20, 5:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mitch82 View Post
... Do you think I can ask for a refund, if the trip was initially paid with an ETC ? ...
Generally UA is not providing refunds for "voluntary" cancellations.
...Bottom line, they told me my credit is valid 1 year since the date of the ticket purchase. Which is a couple month additional than the validity of my ETC. ....
You are probably better off with the credit vs the ETC if you will be rebooking in your name.
You can rebook online a cancelled flight credit (but it can have issues).
Old Mar 16, 20, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Generally UA is not providing refunds for "voluntary" cancellations.
You are probably better off with the credit vs the ETC if you will be rebooking in your name.
You can rebook online a cancelled flight credit (but it can have issues).
Thanks. They told me I had to do it by phone. I did not receive any receipt for the cancellation. I will have to use the previous booking reference.

It was special due to the Coronavirus. They will also not charge any fee for rebooking, for 2 persons, it would have been $800, and I paid the trip $849. LOL
I was wondering if there is any difference for booking if it is online or at the phone with them ?
Old Mar 16, 20, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA is trying hard to avoid giving cash refunds at all. However, an outright travel ban might do it.

In the meantime, yes, I would hang tight and hope that something changes, and, at a minimum, that they agree to extend tickets beyond the normal one-year validity, as DL did yesterday.

My outbound flight now just falls within the Schengen 30-day ban on incoming flights. Well, SFO-LHR-GVA-LIS.

I guess I should contact UA because they're not automatically going to cancel the flights. Will they say well SFO-LHR isn't officially canceled, even if I can't fly onward?
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. They told me I had to do it by phone. I did not receive any receipt for the cancellation. I will have to use the previous booking reference.
You can find the cancelled trips in My trips -> View all trips -> Canceled. It will give you the option there to re-use the flight credit, but (a) that tool doesn't always work well and (b) there have been reports that it's (incorrectly) charging the change fee if you do it online.

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
My outbound flight now just falls within the Schengen 30-day ban on incoming flights. Well, SFO-LHR-GVA-LIS.

I guess I should contact UA because they're not automatically going to cancel the flights. Will they say well SFO-LHR isn't officially canceled, even if I can't fly onward?
There is no ban on incoming flights. The ban is on inbound non-EU nationals without special authorization. I suspect that UA and/or LX will cancel those flights. I would give it at least a week for the schedule changes to propagate through the system.
Old Mar 17, 20, 6:21 am

Programs: nada
A quick update about my family's resolution:
Went in the early evening to IAD in person. Ticketing counters were the only ones with customers/pax.
I estimate it took 10 minutes to fix, plus a minute in line before an agent was free and a minute to explain/pull out a printed copy of the itinerary as booked.
They were very understanding, and moved our pax to the same UA+G3 flight combination as originally scheduled, just a couple of days before the IAD-GRU suspends. No additional fee - in fact, while the phone agent had repriced higher, the summary printed on ticketstock showed it as slightly less in both currencies.
jsloan and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 1:37 pm

Programs: United Plat
Have a 016 P ticket SFO-MUC-TXL.It was issued in September for April Easter weekend. Price is a little bit over $2000. All segments are codeshare and operated by LH.

LH already cancelled SFO-MUC segments when I go to LH website. On LH, I only have MUC-TXL-MUC left without flights from SFO to Germany. On UA, it still shows LH SFO-MUC segments.

I am waiting for UA to rebook me. Then I can check if the new schedule is within six hours of my original flights. Of course I am not going in April but it is a $2000 ticket.

Seeking suggestions:
1. It is still three weeks away. Will UA rebook me before my departure date? Will UA assume everybody will cancel their April EU trips?
2. I am not traveling in next 72 hours. When should I call UA to see what my options are? I don't have any travel plans this year. However, if UA does not rebook me, I can't see if the new schedule is within 6 hours. The ticket was issued in September last year. Not sure the pandemic can be totally over by September.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 20, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388 View Post
Have a 016 P ticket SFO-MUC-TXL.It was issued in September for April Easter weekend. Price is a little bit over $2000. All segments are codeshare and operated by LH.

LH already cancelled SFO-MUC segments when I go to LH website. On LH, I only have MUC-TXL-MUC left without flights from SFO to Germany. On UA, it still shows LH SFO-MUC segments.

I am waiting for UA to rebook me. Then I can check if the new schedule is within six hours of my original flights. Of course I am not going in April but it is a $2000 ticket.

Seeking suggestions:
1. It is still three weeks away. Will UA rebook me before my departure date? Will UA assume everybody will cancel their April EU trips?
2. I am not traveling in next 72 hours. When should I call UA to see what my options are? I don't have any travel plans this year. However, if UA does not rebook me, I can't see if the new schedule is within 6 hours. The ticket was issued in September last year. Not sure the pandemic can be totally over by September.

Thanks!
1. They usually make an effort to rebook, but they have a long queue of work from all the disruptions. They will probably get to you before your April 11(+/-?) departure and give you a call or just put something new in the reservation.
2. Since you don't have any actual plan to travel, I can't see any reason not to wait until one or two days before the booked date to call up and either ask for a refund or request some new rebooking that you prefer.
jsloan and Boraxo like this.

Search this Thread