Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
My flight was now scheduled to leave at 0910 instead of 0720. Since I needed to be in DC earlier than the delayed flight would get me there, I eneded up flying Delta and cancelling my United flight. I wholly expected a credit for the fare, which would have been fine with me. However, I ended up recieving a refund, less the $30 that was a flight credit that I also got back as a nother credit.
In this specific instance, when the delay is under UA's control and a competing airline can get you to your destination meaningfully earlier, you may have been able to get UA to fly you on DL rather than refunding your UA ticket and buying a last-minute DL ticket instead.

Just FYI in case it comes up again in the future.
SPN Lifer and coolbeans202 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
In this specific instance, when the delay is under UA's control and a competing airline can get you to your destination meaningfully earlier, you may have been able to get UA to fly you on DL rather than refunding your UA ticket and buying a last-minute DL ticket instead.

Just FYI in case it comes up again in the future.
OK, thanks. I didn't think of that. I just used my Skypesos for the Delta flight, so I wasn't out any cash.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The problem is the COC does not provide an passenger entitlement, it is solely at UA's discretion on the circumstances. The DOT requires refund for cancellation and no replacement. So refunds for schedule changes is discretionary but defined outside of the COC as 2 hours. This unclear situtation was the source of refunds dispute during early days of COVID.

The COC allows UA to do refunds (to protect UA from having to delivery transportation when it is unable). The COC does not protect the passenger from unreasonable schedule changes. The DOT required airlines to have a "significant delay" threshold and not to change after the fact.
None of that is in dispute. The op asked if they were entitled to a refund instead of a flight credit due to the mechanical delay. That is covered by the coc. Nothing really to do with covid in this case. Yes the rules you state give the specific guidance enumerated by the coc. These rules used to be spelled out in the coc.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Lets hope if DOT enacts this new rule UA does not adopt 3 hours for flight cancellation domestically and 6 hours international.

Transportation Dept. Proposes New Rule to Ease Air Travel Chaos for Passengers - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The proposed policy defines “significantly changed” as a three-hour delay for a domestic flight and a six-hour delay for an international flight. The new rule would also entitle passengers to full refunds for any switch in the departure or destination airport, the addition of a layover or a change in aircraft that causes a significant downgrade in seat class.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Lets hope if DOT enacts this new rule UA does not adopt 3 hours for flight cancellation domestically and 6 hours international.

Transportation Dept. Proposes New Rule to Ease Air Travel Chaos for Passengers - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The proposed policy defines “significantly changed” as a three-hour delay for a domestic flight and a six-hour delay for an international flight. The new rule would also entitle passengers to full refunds for any switch in the departure or destination airport, the addition of a layover or a change in aircraft that causes a significant downgrade in seat class.
I would wager the odds are nearly 100% that if this rule passes, all domestic airlines will adopt the specific time limits it includes. I intend to file a comment in opposition, but I don't expect to prevail.

I'd prefer a rule that said that they had to disclose the rules in advance and that they couldn't change them after a purchase -- that was the real issue in 2020.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If a flight booked with flight credit has a >2hr schedule change, can it be cancelled for an actual cash refund or only flight credit? (Which would be the same as just cancelling the flight with no schedule change, no?)
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If a flight booked with flight credit has a >2hr schedule change, can it be cancelled for an actual cash refund or only flight credit? (Which would be the same as just cancelling the flight with no schedule change, no?)
Flight credit - only the actual cash you paid gets refunded.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Flight credit - only the actual cash you paid gets refunded.
Does it reset the flight credit expiration? (Not relevant right now since expiration is Dec 2023, but will be relevant if there's a schedule change after Dec 31 2022). I understand voluntary cancellation doesn't reset the flight credit expiration.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a fun one. They cancelled my ASE-DEN flight yesterday. They first re-accommodated me on a flight this morning, and then when I called, agreed to drop the first leg and reinstate my original DEN-AUS flight, which I drove to DEN to meet.

After I landed, I put in a refund request for the ASE-DEN leg. They've already denied it (!). It seems that because I accepted "re-accommodation," I'm not eligible for a refund. Yes, if I'd gotten re-routed from EGE or GJT, sure, that'd be an even exchange. But I didn't, I dropped a leg, and it seems that UA's position is 'oh well, as long as you got to your destination, we're good."

DOT complaint filed, but I'm honestly shocked they'd play hardball over something so trivial as an ASE-DEN leg that'll probably work out to be $60.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:43 pm

Refund vs. Travel Credits on Cancelled Trip

We are faced with having to cancel a one-way paid UA economy ticket from Queenstown (New Zealand) to Auckland (segment on Air NZ) to SFO and SMF. I know we can get future travel credits on UA but am wondering whether we can make the case for a cash refund. When we booked the trip in May 2022, we were to arrive back in SMF at 929am. Later, this was changed to 154pm, and then to 525pm, as United thinned its SFO-SMF schedule.

We also paid for Economy Plus seats separately. Are those charges refundable?

Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
We are faced with having to cancel a one-way paid UA economy ticket from Queenstown (New Zealand) to Auckland (segment on Air NZ) to SFO and SMF. I know we can get future travel credits on UA but am wondering whether we can make the case for a cash refund. When we booked the trip in May 2022, we were to arrive back in SMF at 929am. Later, this was changed to 154pm, and then to 525pm, as United thinned its SFO-SMF schedule.

Thanks for any input.
Yes, you should be eligible for a full refund for such a large change of schedule. And, yes, E+ is refundable.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan (Post # 3195)
Yes, you should be eligible for a full refund for such a large change of schedule. And, yes, E+ is refundable.
Yes, E+ is refundable, for an involuntary cancellation such as this. Would it be refundable for a voluntary cancellation?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:11 pm

We were able to cancel the ZQN to SMF (via AKL and SFO) flight and will receive a refund of $2282.14, which covers the airfare and the Economy Plus seat fees, so we are thankful to FT for the helpful advice. The agent was very helpful and did not attempt to offer a lesser option, such as flight credits.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After I landed, I put in a refund request for the ASE-DEN leg. They've already denied it (!). It seems that because I accepted "re-accommodation," I'm not eligible for a refund. Yes, if I'd gotten re-routed from EGE or GJT, sure, that'd be an even exchange. But I didn't, I dropped a leg, and it seems that UA's position is 'oh well, as long as you got to your destination, we're good."

DOT complaint filed, but I'm honestly shocked they'd play hardball over something so trivial as an ASE-DEN leg that'll probably work out to be $60.
Thanks to SPN Lifer, as I tried to find this thread when UA responded to me, but I couldn't find it.

The DOT replied back to me around a month after I submitted my complaint, and UA called me about three weeks after the DOT email came. He offered a refund (although somehow still seemed to say that he didn't think it should have been refundable because the cancelation was due to weather, which simply isn't the way it it works...) or an ETC for about $100 more than the refund amount would have been. I took the ETC and it was in my inbox within minutes.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yes, E+ is refundable, for an involuntary cancellation such as this. Would it be refundable for a voluntary cancellation?
Yes, E+ charges are refundable if you do not end up sitting in an E+ seat, unless the reason that you didn't get E+ is that you got a CPU. I'm not 100% sure if you can refund just the E+ fee without changing flights, but if you have a voluntary flight cancellation, your E+ fees will be refunded.

-----

Incidentally, I've had yet another refund denied by UA -- this time, I misconnected at IAH due to a mechanical delay on the inbound, resulting in another unplanned overnight. Rather than taking the rebooked flight to AUS, I rented a car and drove, and then called 1K Voice to have the flight taken off of my record. Somehow the agent pushed through a FFC (?!) based on an INVOL calculation -- but it's one of the old-style FFCs that is going to require rebooking via the existing PNR. I went to the refunds site to ask for a refund instead, and it was denied because they said no schedule change had occurred. I swear, the people in the refunds department don't really read half the stuff they get.

Since it's such a small amount and I do have an FFC, I don't think I'll bother the DOT again, but I admit I was tempted...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame

Thanks for any input.
By contrast, I booked my intra-NZ flights on NZ's website. They similarly changed the schedule radically, making my itinerary impossible, but will not refund my tix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.