Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
So was this a two-step process? First you got a future flight credit, then you called in for the ETC?
Something like this. But I didn't call in, I requested a refund online.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I forgot to ask earlier. If I book a UA flight with the travel bank credit and I need to voluntarily cancel or UA is unable to fly the flight, then what?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:44 am

Sorry, but I think this was answered above but I need some clarification.

Again, want to get some bookings done for winter vacation (Feb.2022) in hopes that things will open up?

Want to book Business Class from YVR - IAH - SCL......If I need to voluntarily cancel with United, Is it fair to say I do not get a full refund but I will receive a full balance back as a travel credit?

This travel credit is valid from the time I cancel or from the time I purchased the ticket? For two years? (If I purchase now I almost lost a year already!)

...just confused with all the airline / Covid cancellation changes etc., - I know Aeroplan right now allows you to book a rewards flight before May 31 and you can receive a full refund if you want to cancel anytime.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I forgot to ask earlier. If I book a UA flight with the travel bank credit and I need to voluntarily cancel or UA is unable to fly the flight, then what?
Two very different questions
Voluntary change -- you will get an FFC good, presently that is good for 2 years 1 year from purchase data

UA change, and unable to reschedule within 2 hours of original departure or arrival, you are due a refund. Appears for Travel Bank purchases, that is done as an ETC.

As with all of this, the policy at the time of the change will determine the outcome.

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Want to book Business Class from YVR - IAH - SCL......If I need to voluntarily cancel with United, Is it fair to say I do not get a full refund but I will receive a full balance back as a travel credit?

This travel credit is valid from the time I cancel or from the time I purchased the ticket? For two years? (If I purchase now I almost lost a year already!) ...
Voluntary changes receive a Future Flight Credit (FFC) presently good for 2 years 1 year from original purchase date.
Originally Posted by Bravada04
.... I know Aeroplan right now allows you to book a rewards flight before May 31 and you can receive a full refund if you want to cancel anytime.
Award flights and paid flights have different rules. UA also allows free award flight cancellation and mileage redeposit if done 30 days before departure.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2021 at 8:17 am Reason: correction
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:14 am

Thank you very much!
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
United just rejected a refund request approved by their phone agent. No explanation just this:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this schedule change has caused you.

I have reviewed your refund request. While I truly regret that you are disappointed with our future schedule changes, there is no refund due.
We try to deliver and accommodate the schedule you need. Sometimes, unexpected circumstances come up. If you need any assistance with the changes, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) and we'll do all we can to help.
As a valued MileagePlus member, we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board your next United Airlines flight.
They haven't even offered a Future Flight Credit - pretty shoddy experience for their schedule change.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
United just rejected a refund request approved by their phone agent. No explanation just this:...
Did it meet the two hour arrival or departure shift?

.... They haven't even offered a Future Flight Credit - pretty shoddy experience for their schedule change.
That is automatic, even if you voluntarily cancel
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
United just rejected a refund request approved by their phone agent. No explanation just this:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this schedule change has caused you.

They haven't even offered a Future Flight Credit - pretty shoddy experience for their schedule change.
Was this a grey area one or a clear-cut > 2 hr change?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Two very different questions
Voluntary change -- you will get an FFC good, presently that is good for two years from purchase data

UA change, and unable to reschedule within 2 hours of original departure or arrival, you are due a refund. Appears for Travel Bank purchases, that is done as an ETC.

As with all of this, the policy at the time of the change will determine the outcome.

Voluntary changes receive a Future Flight Credit (FFC) presently good for 2 years from original purchase date.
Award flights and paid flights have different rules. UA also allows free award flight cancellation and mileage redeposit if done 30 days before departure.
On United.com I just read that the FFC's are good for 1year. Did I miss something? (I'm getting older +smile*)
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by zappa42m
On United.com I just read that the FFC's are good for 1year. Did I miss something? (I'm getting older +smile*)
No my brain freeze
1 year is correct, there were a few months they were 2 years/ ETCs are two years.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2021 at 8:38 am Reason: No my brain freeze
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Was this a grey area one or a clear-cut > 2 hr change?
Clearly a greater than 2 hour change and a re-route LHR-ORD rather than LHR-EWR.
They continue to refuse, despite agent offering a refund. Apparently their agents error is my problem.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:39 pm

Did it meet the two hour arrival or departure shift?

That is automatic, even if you voluntarily cancel
Nothing has appeared in my account for it! I've chased by email to see if they will issue it.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:57 pm

Clearly a greater than 2 hour change and a re-route LHR-ORD rather than LHR-EWR.
They continue to refuse, despite agent offering a refund. Apparently their agents error is my problem.
I'm still confused, was the reroute under 2 hours (from the original).
What was the agent error? (Did the agent promised a refund but did not qualify under UA's policy?)

UA has generally (since last summer) been very good on refunds.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 12:59 am

I'm still confused, was the reroute under 2 hours (from the original).
What was the agent error? (Did the agent promised a refund but did not qualify under UA's policy?)

UA has generally (since last summer) been very good on refunds.
It was a greater than 2 hours change, I was promised a refund by the agent but Customer Service are now refusing.
(In addition they have not given me a Future Flight Credit, although they are not refusing to do this).
I suspect it's now the the credit card chargeback route or small claims court in the UK.
I wonder if this is something to do with me being in the UK?
Old Apr 24, 2021, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a greater than 2 hours change, I was promised a refund by the agent but Customer Service are now refusing.
(In addition they have not given me a Future Flight Credit, although they are not refusing to do this).
I suspect it's now the the credit card chargeback route or small claims court in the UK.
I wonder if this is something to do with me being in the UK?
File a DOT complaint: https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint

This will get your request looked at by an agent trained in regulatory compliance. If the departure or arrival time changed by two hours or more, and you didn't cancel the reservation prior to the delay being posted, then this is a very straightforward issue. And filing the complaint takes only a few minutes.

As WineCountryUA said, this is really surprising, because they've been quite good at refunds for almost a year now. (They were abysmal for a month or two, starting from March 2020).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.