Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Where do I view my United airfare credit?

Where do I view my United airfare credit?

Old Mar 2, 20, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Question Where do I view my United airfare credit?

We cancelled our ticket on a UA flight to Tokyo from LAX and received airfare credit without cancellation fees.

Where exactly in my UA account website do I view the amount of this credit? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I want to confirm that they didn't take out any cancellation fees.
Old Mar 2, 20, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by alocsin View Post
We cancelled our ticket on a UA flight to Tokyo from LAX and received airfare credit without cancellation fees.

Where exactly in my UA account website do I view the amount of this credit? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I want to confirm that they didn't take out any cancellation fees.
any fees are never taken out at time of cancelation - they are charged at time of reissue (ie, when you rebook).

to check that, best way would either be to call an agent (have your canceled PNR available), or to start a rebooking online, but donít complete it. To use it online, simply login to your MP account, view your itineraries and look in the Ďcanceledí tab. Going and selecting the one there will allow you to use the credit. When following through to search, the different options should show you the fee plus any additional price of the new itinerary (ie, beyond the value already there. So it will say something like Ď$300 fee plus $0í if there is a fee but no fare difference. I believe it should just have any fare difference number if there isnít a fee.

also note that the change tool is often a PITA and often doesnít show many of the standard options it should, or sometimes shows higher fares than a search for a new flight. So always search the cost of a new itinerary to make sure itís not overcharging you. Honestly, with rebookings, itís often easier just to call and have an agent rebook you over the phone.
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
When following through to search, the different options should show you the fee plus any additional price of the new itinerary (ie, beyond the value already there. So it will say something like Ď$300 fee plus $0í if there is a fee but no fare difference. I believe it should just have any fare difference number if there isnít a fee.
While this is true in theory, in practice it wouldn't surprise me at all if a fee were shown erroneously, especially if the change was due to a travel waiver.

OP: emcampbe is correct that you won't learn anything from looking the credit up online. The only time you'd discover a problem would be when you tried to use it; if they try to charge a fee then, a polite reminder about the circumstances of the cancellation should fix that. (Or, just hang up and call again).
Old Mar 3, 20, 6:15 am
Original Poster

So there is no way I can view written documentation of the credit minus the fee? This was all done on the phone and I'm afraid the agents are going to forget without any written proof.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I'm afraid the agents are going to forget without any written proof.
No agent is going to remember or forget. It will be documented in the record. You could call to verify that it's really there, but I've never heard of any written documentation you can get.

Remember that the credit must be used within a year. You can also call to find out the exact date it will expire.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Remember that the credit must be used within a year. You can also call to find out the exact date it will expire.
further clarification: the credit must be used within a year of the original date of issue. That can limit the time you have to use it.
jhayes_1780 and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So there is no way I can view written documentation of the credit minus the fee? This was all done on the phone and I'm afraid the agents are going to forget without any written proof.
The credited is documented in exactly the same way, and in exactly the same place, as the original eTicket that was going to be used for allow you to travel, and they are equally likely to forget either of those. (Which is to say, extremely unlikely, bordering on impossible).

As long as your reservation shows up in the 'Canceled' section of the website, there's nothing to worry about. (My Trips -> View All Trips -> Canceled, as emcampbe said).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Was this a partially taken trip?
or none of the segments had been flown?
Was the cancellation related to a travel waiver?
Old Mar 3, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
United won't let you see any confirmation that your reservation/credit has been flagged for a rebooking waiver. That would be too much transparency.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: