Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ticket cancelled if not through security 90 mins before flight @YYZ??

Ticket cancelled if not through security 90 mins before flight @YYZ??

Old Mar 2, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I just got this text. Not surprised there is already a thread. What I can't understand is how they would somehow enforce this, nor how it is anything resembling reasonable? Also, my wife is on AA later in the day and didn't get the same text.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I know for certain that baggage cutoff for UA at YEG and YYC is 60 minutes.
Yes, the check in cutoff is 60 minutes for US preclearance, though they can get manager approval to go into that time (usually happens when there was a delay in the line at check in and you were there). Of course, no checked bag and OLCI means that isn't really an issue.

Originally Posted by dvo1029 View Post
I have global entry and got this message and to be safe I got through immigration with more than 90 minutes (the regular line is always crazy there so surely you do need to arrive 3 hours before to make the flight). The next time I was curious so I tested this so called cutoff and was through immigration with less than 60 minutes before the flight and no issues of boarding whatsoever. I think United should not send a message like this unless factual and they should merely state the facts that immigration lines are very long and you should arrive 3-4 hours early and if not at the gate 15-20 mins before flight time you will not be able to board.
I got this too, with a KTN in the reservation. It is a bit surprising.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
From the way it's worded, I'm sure this has everything to do with the U.S. travel restrictions (which are only going to increase) due to COVID-19.
Sure, though you'd think the Canadians would be more interested in restricting Americans.

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
LHR has this "conformance" system where they won't even allow you to go through security if you present yourself less than x minutes before departure, no matter if you could still make it. Last year, at the entrance of the fast lane security, I overheard an UA agent pleading the case of an elderly couple that was past conformance time. The LHR security officer gave the UA agent a stern "no" and she sighed and took them back to the check-in desk (presumably) to rebook them, suggesting even the airlines have few if any control over this system.

I'm not a fan of this system and definitely hope YYZ isn't making this a commonwealth thing.
Remember, the UK has the airports, which are stupidly privately owned, handle security. In Canada, where airports are owned by local authorities, they are contractors to a federal government agency. They are not there to serve the airline tenants or airport owners. As long as you haven't missed your flight, they let you in.
Old Mar 3, 20, 5:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Data point - No conformance check, no nothing. Just the regular. In fact, traffic was quite light this morning at YYZ. I'm not sure why United is scare mongering this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Data point - No conformance check, no nothing. Just the regular. In fact, traffic was quite light this morning at YYZ. I'm not sure why United is scare mongering this.
It's not just United. Here's Delta's "through security" and "at gate" times YYZ. I'm not going to look at the other airlines, but I think UA is just following someone else's rules, not making stuff up. It might not always be enforced, but if it is....

:
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
It's not just United. Here's Delta's "through security" and "at gate" times YYZ. I'm not going to look at the other airlines, but I think UA is just following someone else's rules, not making stuff up. It might not always be enforced, but if it is....

:
IME, that's crazy requiring 90 minutes at YYZ, though I could see it being desired for those who don't have trusted traveller. Like I said, I can often be from curbside to past customs in 10 minutes on a good day.

A note that DL is in a different terminal, so goes through different security/customs. But more than that, looks like this is officially an exception on DL. UA still doesn't make an exception in their published check in requirements. If they're going to require people to be there 90 minutes prior, they not only need to officially make the change, but also publicize the change. Sending a text message a day before isn't going to cut it, especially since there are folks who might not get text updates when they are in a foreign country.

For the record, AA still lists 60 minutes on their check in page, with no exception for YYZ. .https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nd-arrival.jsp. Air Canada also still lists 60 minutes to the US - https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ing-times.html. Thought they do have this note about YYZ departures to the US:

For departures before 10 am, wait times are longer than usual at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Canadian Air Transport Security Association (CATSA) pre-board screening. You should arrive at the airport
three (3) hours before your flight's scheduled departure time. Pre-board security screening for departures to the U.S. opens at 4:00 AM.
I'd guess this is just to push people through earlier so they aren't arriving too close to departure at peak times, and to just blanket it to protect themselves. Part of me wonders if its gotten worse lately, and they've seen more people miss flights by cutting it to close.
Old Mar 3, 20, 1:57 pm

I am pretty sure no conformance checks, as some others have said, but I also have seen huge backups at YYZ transborder CBP in the past four or five months, since even before COVID19. Particularly relevant, I have seen people stuck in CBP still 20 minutes before their flight departure who were not permitted to cut the line (they were pleading with staff), and seemingly they missed their flight.

So I am guessing UA has had some passengers miss flights recently and adopted more scary language as a result.
Old Mar 3, 20, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just a FYI, the boarding pass scans are not sent to the airlines, but just confirming your boarding pass is valid for the day of travel. The scans are not being transmitted back to UA, and the airline has no idea where you are at any time until you show up at the gate. The only *possible* exception is CBP doing something to the APIS list shared with the airline as they clear you, which the airline would be able to access, but would United then have the technical capability of cross-referencing that list in real time to your PNR? I highly doubt it given United IT's legendary incompetence.

So I think this is bogus in terms of your ticket actually being affected, but as mentioned upthread, depending on your day of travel and time of day at the airport, a 20 minute trip through Nexus security+GE could easily be 90+ minutes, so plan accordingly.

Back before the T1 security renovation, there were mornings that were so bad even with Nexus and GE, that I purposely took food with me that I needed to declare so I could be sent to secondary because exiting the secondary room would bypass 90% of the line waiting to enter the old security area and I could shave 45+ minutes off my experience.
Old Mar 3, 20, 4:12 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
Maybe they are going to start enforcing it soon, as valuable time was being wasted on identifying and removing luggage (and re-doing the upgrade list). If you don't meet the deadline, then they can start offloading your bags and reduce delay in departure.
they won't. they're not going to pull a BA at LHR conformance Bull Silliness where you're denied boarding if you show up to security on a saturday night at 0:59 no exceptions, or where your flight is delayed 2 hours but you show up to security 0:59 before STD (so 2:59 before ETD).

the dumb double scanning at catsa is for their own performance management (time from entering queue to making to to the xray)

the ua contractors will know if their pax are in secondary and the ua contractors frequently interface with the cbp officers (eg: "yah (s)he will get in, it'll just be a couple more minutes" "no (s)he is not going anywhere, so you can offload them". i highly doubt they're going to pull pax at 90, or maybe new cbp policy is not to interface with CSAs any more, so they just have that silly blanket policy. and the contractors in yyz are absolutely clueless (one time i was 1st on upgrade list yyz-sfo, on an RPU, as a 1k and they sent the flight out 2 mins early with 3 empty seats up front). but 90 minutes is silly because bags are not sent to the bag room until you clear cbp so no manual bag sequencing needed. you could figure everything out in yyz at -0:30 without having to get ramp to pull bags. but again the agents in yyz are inept.

this is just telling people to show up extra early because of the new cbp under president mayhem. a lot more ostensibly innocuous travelers, particularly canadian citizens, are getting pulled in to secondary and getting I-275'd post-2016.
Old Mar 3, 20, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've never flown to/from YYZ before, but will be next month.

On our return we are on UA, leaving at 9:40 am. I don't want to get there SO early that I clog up with people who have earlier flights but I also don't want to miss ours.

We're staying at the Sheraton on airport so will have to take that tram over to UA - what time advice do you have for us?
Old Mar 3, 20, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post

On our return we are on UA, leaving at 9:40 am. I don't want to get there SO early that I clog up with people who have earlier flights but I also don't want to miss ours.

We're staying at the Sheraton on airport so will have to take that tram over to UA - what time advice do you have for us?
What day of the week? Do you have NEXUS or Global Entry?
Old Mar 3, 20, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

What day of the week is your flight, and do you have any *A status? Or Priority Plus membership? Do you have Global Entry and/or Nexus?
Old Mar 3, 20, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
What day of the week is your flight, and do you have any *A status? Or Priority Plus membership? Do you have Global Entry and/or Nexus?
Our flight is on a Wednesday morning, we have no status whatsoever with United or GA or Nexus.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:17 pm

Our flight is on a Wednesday morning, we have no status whatsoever with United or GA or Nexus.
Wednesdays aren't that busy and 9:40am is towards the end of the morning rush. I'd be comfortable with arriving at Terminal 1 90 minutes before departure, a bit earlier if you need to check-in and/or check luggage.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2hrs is probably sufficient - without any status, or GE, you will be in the longest lines for both security and US CBP, so expect to complete the process pretty close to your boarding time, which leaves you 90 minutes to get to the gate for boarding, and 2hrs before your flight leaves without you.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:55 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Just a FYI, the boarding pass scans are not sent to the airlines, but just confirming your boarding pass is valid for the day of travel. The scans are not being transmitted back to UA, and the airline has no idea where you are at any time until you show up at the gate.
I cant speak for UA, but at Canadian airports, Air Canada can see if your boarding pass is scanned at security.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Particularly relevant, I have seen people stuck in CBP still 20 minutes before their flight departure who were not permitted to cut the line (they were pleading with staff), and seemingly they missed their flight.
IME UA flights tend to keep their door open past 30 mins (and even past 15 mins) at CBP pre-clearance airports if there's a huge mess and a significant amount of checked-in pax are still missing. They subsequently try to catch up with the lost time en-route (easier if coming from DUB than Y**). Makes sense as most pax would have been CBP processed by the time all the bags would have been offloaded, assuming PPBM still applies on pre-cleared INTL flights.

Search this Thread