Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA forces POS to credit card billing country -- restricts which site/card can be used

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
POS ==> Point of Sale. For UA, this determines pricing, inventory, fare rules, (in some cases - change fees) ....

Originally Posted by emcampbe
united handles point of sale by credit card billing address. So will change the price to the local point of sale, based on billing address. If your CC is Canadian with Canadian address, and you start searching from US site, you’ll get the pricing swotcheroo. Sometimes, it’s not much of a difference. Sometimes it is. There can be different class availability, and exchange rate isn’t necessarily up to date.

Online OTAs should let you bill to whatever card you want, so that’s one solution.
Related threads
Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale
Price delta between united.com/ United app / second phone? (Guam is billing country?)
Print Wikipost

UA forces POS to credit card billing country -- restricts which site/card can be used

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mitsley
Each time I landed on United.com, the cheap fare was shown, then either didn't go through or jumped up when I tried to book it, depending on the device.
Carriers differ in how well their IT enforces point of sale restrictions. On many carriers, all you have to do is book through the local (foreign) website. UA's IT by contrast is very good at restricting sales based on credit card address. Another workaround is to buy from an OTA in the originating country.

I've flown so many point of sale restricted fares I couldn't even begin to count.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:20 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Giving a fake address is not a workaround, it's actually fraud.
How exactly? What country's laws define that fraud and what court/agency would prosecute it?? What are the stated penalties?
zombietooth likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
How exactly? What country's laws define that fraud and what court/agency would prosecute it?? What are the stated penalties?
Obviously, this is a death penalty level offense.

Seriously though, I used to do this all the time in Japan by just walking into the No. 1 Travel by H.I.S office in Shinjuku and buying tickets in person. I used to get great deals this way, although sometimes I would end up with orphan segments and have to close loops with awards.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
No.

There is no relevant rule. The only enforcement of point of sale restrictions comes at the point of sale. If you can buy it, you can fly it.
I have not seen one in the last five years but there definitely used to be fares valid for residents of specific countries. United Japan had some on their website. Fare rules required proof of residence in Japan. How they determined that I don't know, I never bought one of those tickets. I have bought JR passes for domestic travel in Japan as a foreigner, when I picked up the ticket in Narita JR checked my passport very carefully to make sure I was not a resident. Having an expired Japanese work visa in my passport required a lot of explaining.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
That's just POS differentiation (point of sale, not the other POS)

​​​​​Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale

There are resident-only fares which go further than POS, as described by this thread. How often are those restrictions enforced? Ymmv
I am not clear, is the OP talking about point of sale differences in the air fare or is has he actually stumbled on a fare restricted to residents of a certain place?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can anyone who's posted about "resident" fares which require proof of residency to travel post a UA example of such a fare currently on offer through UA's website?

I'm 99.9% confident that what OP encountered is a point of sale restriction. Those are very very common.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 14, 2021 at 8:55 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Higher airfare with US address

When I search a HAN-USA fare on UA.com, it shows options for $545. At the final booking page, after I entered the (US) CC info, it comes back saying "We have updated the prices and/or currency shown to match the country you selected", and the price increased to a whopping $780. Is there any way to get the original cheaper price? I tried Paypal with a Vietnam address, but it still generated that message.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I have only been able to find a way around this (admittedly a few years back) by changing the addresses in my profile to all - in my case - from UK to US - and then for added peace of mind I used a VPN to pretend I was in the US. I haven't tried using paypal or this method recently. What happens if you try to book using for example, Kayak, to see if that ups the price?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
OTAs should help
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:03 am

UA's IT is very good at imposing point of sale restrictions. As already suggested, using an OTA is the way around this (but brings with it all the associated issues, including necessity of using the OTA to make changes).
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Silly question, what is OTA? Other word for VPN?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by VRFast
Silly question, what is OTA? Other word for VPN?
Online Travel Agent
lsquare and VRFast like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:24 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I ran into a analagous problem trying to book flights found on Google. UA not only updated the price when I tried to use a US credit card, but it would also only give me a basic economy class fare when every window up to the final one had been showing the correct (eight times as large) business class fare that I wanted.

There was no way I could find to make it revert to a business class fare, so I gave up on it in the end and found a different itinerary that didn't have that problem.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:57 am
Suspended

Don't do it. The OTAs are a nightmare.

Book through a partner airline like ana.co.jp
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
United as of last year didn't validate credit card billing address. You should be able to make up a billing address in the country of desired sale.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign
When I search a HAN-USA fare on UA.com, it shows options for $545. At the final booking page, after I entered the (US) CC info, it comes back saying "We have updated the prices and/or currency shown to match the country you selected", and the price increased to a whopping $780. Is there any way to get the original cheaper price? I tried Paypal with a Vietnam address, but it still generated that message.
As discussed, the credit card used sets the Point of Sale on UA. This issue can work both ways, in the sense a non-USA credit will force a non-USA POS

Have merged into a prior discussion as suggested earlier to provide more situations and alternatives.

As this has plagued many over the years, mMight be handy for someone to summarize the potential workarounds and place in the thread's wiki

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2022 at 12:49 pm Reason: call for wiki suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.