GRU-???-LAX

Old Feb 24, 20, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
GRU-???-LAX

Need to get from GRU-LAX on UA metal in a few months in J. Routings right now are exact same price GRU-ORD-LAX and GRU-IAH-LAX. GRU-ORD has new Polaris seats, but privacy is a bit less of a consideration as I'll be traveling with my partner. I find the old seats pretty comfortable but I don't remember having flown the 767 since the recliner days (probably 2010?!).

Any particularly reason to go with ORD or IAH as a connection point? I haven't cleared customs in either airport in several years, prob. 3-4, but my general inclination is I like IAH much more. We both have GE.

Which airport would have easier access to the Polaris lounge during my layover?
Old Feb 24, 20, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
IAH is an easier transit (noting that you may be better off not using the dedicated transit security checkpoint). It's also less likely to be weather delayed.
Old Feb 24, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
IAH is an easier transit (noting that you may be better off not using the dedicated transit security checkpoint). It's also less likely to be weather delayed.
International to domestic connection is much easier in Houston. Chicago immigrations is usually worse and then going from T5 to T1 by bus is never fun
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
I like ORD for the 777-200 New Polaris which is now frequently on the route (and may be guaranteed in a few months?) - unless you're a huge fan of the older seats. That said, it makes the trip to LAX in Domestic F a bit longer for you, so if that's a factor, stick with IAH. Weather in ORD is also always a risk.

Both Polaris lounges are accessible.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by nw6338 View Post
Need to get from GRU-LAX on UA metal in a few months in J. Routings right now are exact same price GRU-ORD-LAX and GRU-IAH-LAX. GRU-ORD has new Polaris seats, but privacy is a bit less of a consideration as I'll be traveling with my partner. I find the old seats pretty comfortable but I don't remember having flown the 767 since the recliner days (probably 2010?!).

Any particularly reason to go with ORD or IAH as a connection point? I haven't cleared customs in either airport in several years, prob. 3-4, but my general inclination is I like IAH much more. We both have GE.

Which airport would have easier access to the Polaris lounge during my layover?
I'd have to think connecting at IAH would make it a shorter trip. Immigration and customs likely isn't much of a problem at 6 AM either way you go.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

IAH is shorter by a couple of hours indeed. I think that's what we will do and hope to get lucky and get the new J on the route, although the seat map does not reflect that now...

The trip is in May so my main weather consideration was actually in IAH for thunderstorms.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Immigration and customs likely isn't much of a problem at 6 AM either way you go.
That's when nearly all the SA and LA flights arrive. It can be extremely crowded. GE is a big plus.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

That's when nearly all the SA and LA flights arrive. It can be extremely crowded. GE is a big plus.

This is what I was thinking too. I'd imagine this is more of a factor at IAH than ORD?
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:55 pm

I'd vote for IAH. Super simple. I doubt security @ connections would be bad at that time, but if it is just head like you're going outside. Once you're out in the "lobby" ... take the escalator up 1 level and security in front of you will be a piece of cake. TSA Precheck is available there as well.
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I did ORD recently. As a non-US citizen who is not eligible to use the APC kiosks, I was grateful to find an empty immigration hall coming off UA844. I gather this is a semi-normal circumstance, as the only other overlapping international arrival seems to be the AI flight from DEL. The bus transfer to T1 was also fine, though I knew what to expect, and the terminal transfer experience should get better once the inter-terminal train finally comes back online.

The one downside was that UA844 arrives at ~5:30am in the northern winter months, but the Polaris lounge does not open until 7am. Given my seamless arrival experience, I was at the door of the Polaris lounge by 6am, meaning I had to wait a full hour in the overcrowded adjacent UC to get into the Polaris lounge. Further, the showers--the one thing I needed coming off a 10+ hour overnight flight--did not open until 7:15am for reasons completely beyond understanding (the attendant was already at the desk at 7am).

I will be doing the IAH 6am I-D transfer coming in from LIM in a couple weeks and will see how that goes.

Last edited by dkc192; Apr 3, 20 at 4:10 am
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
While a bit out of the way, I do prefer the EWR connection given that you can hop on a 787-10 domestically. The worst is an intl flight into the US followed by a domestic connection on a 737.
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
While a bit out of the way, I do prefer the EWR connection given that you can hop on a 787-10 domestically. The worst is an intl flight into the US followed by a domestic connection on a 737.
I thought the same thing..but it was significantly more expensive + a lot more travel time. Same with IAD.

Thinking I'll go with IAH on this one.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old Feb 24, 20, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
There's typically an internationally configured aircraft (lie-flats) IAH-LAX timed to connect with the SA/LA arrivals.
Old Feb 24, 20, 3:47 pm

There's typically an internationally configured aircraft (lie-flats) IAH-LAX timed to connect with the SA/LA arrivals.
Yep. I just checked a random day and 3/8 of the IAH-LAX flights were 777 or 787, spread pretty evenly throughout the day. If you want to fly on a widebody for the entire LAX-IAH-SA journey you can do it without too much of a layover.
Old Feb 25, 20, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS View Post
International to domestic connection is much easier in Houston. Chicago immigrations is usually worse and then going from T5 to T1 by bus is never fun
This. Transfers at ORD are a PITA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: