Best way to handle untrained agent?

Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Best way to handle untrained agent?

We had a series of flight delays yesterday and today and in the course of trying to get rebooked for the second time we encountered an agent at the ticket counter at IAH who kept insisting that because we were on an award ticket (YN) she could only rebook us on flights with YN availability.

After a few minutes of back and forth the agent next to her took over and did the best he could (flights IAH-BOS were very very full). What I am wondering is are there any magic words to say to an agent to let them know they can rebook onto anything with available space? Or is just asking for a supervisor the best option?
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. In the same way that one politely ends a phone call, just say that you want to regroup and will be back when you are ready. Then walk away and find someone else. At a fortress hub such as IAH this ought to be relatively easy. Admittedly a bit harder at a small station. In the latter situation, just politely say that it hasn't been your experience and ask the agent to call or find a supervisor.

The key is to disengage without a confrontation.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat
At an outstation, you can always ask that they call the help desk to double check. One person said an agent actually called a coworker at home to prove them wrong but of course, they were right. So that's also worth a shot.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Also, you can call and rebook over the phone. While some might say airport agents have more flexibility, I’ve almost always not had a problem getting what I want via a phone agent.

In fact, I will get in the line, and call at the same time, and have the first person to be available win. Usually, when it’s a problem with a specific flight Delay/cancelation (as opposed to a systemwide issue, or say, all flights to [insert hub here] issue), I can usually get the phone agent faster to rebook.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael Sackton
We had a series of flight delays yesterday and today and in the course of trying to get rebooked for the second time we encountered an agent at the ticket counter at IAH who kept insisting that because we were on an award ticket (YN) she could only rebook us on flights with YN availability.
If you were actually in YN, you could safely ignore her and let her do what she wants. YN has last-seat availability anyway. (YN = Y).
PVDtoDEL and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Good advice for any unsatisfactory customer service experience.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Also, you can call and rebook over the phone. While some might say airport agents have more flexibility, I’ve almost always not had a problem getting what I want via a phone agent.
This has been my experience - I get to call the 1K desk so the agents there are usually very clueful, but I've never found a case where a phone rep couldn't do the same thing as a gate agent... I've had phone agents grab me seats on an alternate flight down to ~15 minutes before a departure (during IRROPS)...
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you were actually in YN, you could safely ignore her and let her do what she wants. YN has last-seat availability anyway. (YN = Y).
Only for elites & credit card holders, tho, I think?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Only for elites & credit card holders, tho, I think?
The inventory itself always equals Y.

If you're referring to accessing YN inventory, yes access is limited to elites and cc holders, but obviously not an issue here given that OP was already booked into YN.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
The inventory itself always equals Y.

If you're referring to accessing YN inventory, yes access is limited to elites and cc holders, but obviously not an issue here given that OP was already booked into YN.
Good point!
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by emcampbe

In fact, I will get in the line, and call at the same time, and have the first person to be available win. Usually, when it’s a problem with a specific flight Delay/cancelation (as opposed to a systemwide issue, or say, all flights to [insert hub here] issue), I can usually get the phone agent faster to rebook.
Right, especially since with a specific delay, the line forms up fast, and you may do better with a phone call. While it may get heated, that disengaging without confrontation isn't so hard, "let me discuss with may party," or "call my spouse about pickup," that harried agent will be along with the next unhappy passenger very quickly.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The general recommendation is use an agent at the United Club, but also know when to disengage and use the phone, especially if they were not helpful or if there is a long line.

Case in point: We had a IRROP in NRT where the inbound flight was delayed by 3 hours, which means that we were going to miss our connecting flight. There was an alternate flight with business class seats available for 2 of us, but UC agent would not make the change because R space was not available for the new flight. It took 3 calls to the 1K line to have an agent rebooking us on the new flight in business class (partly helped because there was a cabin-to-cabin waiver available due to weather).
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
I thought the magic words were “revenue management”

My serious answer is that I stay very polite but discuss the rule in question clinically using the lexicon as much as possible (e.g. saying IRROPS). I’ve found more often than not that this will lead to the agent willingly checking on the rule and then letting me do whatever it is I wanted to do. Conversely, I’ve noticed that when people make the situation about what they’re owed instead of making it about what the rule is, things often don’t go well.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:30 pm

I had IRROPS at ATW and BIS last summer. Agents proactively called the help desk without prompting to resolve the issues at hand. Now, at outstations, if an agent was having an issue, I would not hesitate to suggest, in a friendly manner, to the agent to contact the help desk.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Often1

Unfortunately often easier said than done, especially if the agent's very act, refusal to give you consideration, or attitude is itself confrontational. The rules are the agents can be as unhelpful, nasty, uncompromising, ignorant and/or inconsiderate as they wish, but the customer is supposed to keep smiling and say thank you....
FlyingNone, iskingolf and lhrsfo like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.