Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it even worth it to go for million miler lifetime status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it even worth it to go for million miler lifetime status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I am at 974k, and currently 1K, so definitely yes. ASAP
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Getting off the hamster wheel

Agree with the other posters that the MM benefits, while they last are good and liberating from "needing" to book on UA.

SFO/SJC based and do fly PS 757 E+ domestic, good product. Norwegian in Premium get all my TATL business these days. The United CC miles are a backup for last minute booking when Norwegian are having a bad day. I have zero interest in densified 777 E+ though and would rather stay home!

Sadly I got sucked into the Southwest A List a couple of years ago, where there is no fooling around with upgrades and the free standby is all you get. This is already a United benefit. United unable to do intra California and even coast to coast to smaller airports, Southwest a is a good choice.

I had promised myself never to do this again!

Originally Posted by iapetus
But this could also be used to justify obtaining MM status, no?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I lost my 1K on 2/1 and with the 1 MM status (and no aspiration for 2 MM even though I am over halfway there), I am free from the status game and can still get all the *A Gold advantages.

It is definitely worth it to have it - especially now as it is harder to get status via flying. Yes, people say UA can change the rules, *A might get another tier and Gold will be "lower", etc. However, it is still better than nothing - especially for those doing international trips in Star Alliance.
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Definitely! The *G AND companion benefits make it the worth the efforts. Lifetime *G benefits of E+ on UA, lounge access in *A system when on international itinerary, and 2 check bags are great. On top of that you can nominate a companion to receive the same benefits. The companion share the same status as you. But not the plus points. It is a great deal. I recommended to all my friends to achieve mm status on UA before they retire.
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I don't know what your route to it looks like, but I am glad I have it. I am a similar distance from 2MM and I will let that happen organically rather than chase it. For me (LHR/SFO 99.9999% of the time) the other options do not thrill me. I won't fly BA unless it is a dark day in hell, and VS is great in PE but I am not flying them in any flavour of their regular economy. I will lose 1K next year and, while moderately disappointed at that, I will value the soft landing of *G "lifetime" status. I am under no illusion that will be diluted down at some stage so will make hay while the sun shines. But I am not in a position where I feel locked to United as I have it already and like this "best of both worlds" approach now.
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Once I was within 100K of 1MM, I definitely worked to reach that goal. And it was worth it, for many of the reasons already noted by others upthread.

If I was sitting at 825K today, I’m not so sure I would go out of my way to reach 1MM. When I Was in your shoes and I looked at UA - before they started slashing service and benefits - I was reasonably confident it was worth the effort. Now, I look at UA the way Charlie Brown looks at Lucy holding the football, wondering if she’s going to yank the ball away once more.
coolbeans202 and Lamour like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have much further to go than any poster so far, but have 3 times as many lifetime miles on UA as DL (mostly earned on NW) and 6 times as many as AA.

I am already retired. No way will I ever get any higher airline lifetime status than UA 1 MM.

So I am putting most of my flights on UA if not too much more expensive, with some *A segments as sold on united.com .

In the meantime I am earning Marriott Titanium occasionally, for the United Silver benefits, and considering a United Explorer card for Group 2 boarding and free luggage.

I was going for the old lifetime Marriott Platinum (now Titanium), but they did away with that! So now when I hit the new lifetime Marriott Platinum, I may start chasing lifetime Hilton Diamond instead. The Aspire card could buy an E+ subscription.

And my spouse & I are making good use of our lifetime United Club and Admirals Club memberships.
Dublin_rfk and Lamour like this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Feb 23, 2020 at 3:24 am Reason: Add E+ sentence.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I think if you can get there organically, it is nice to have. I got to MM status about 3 years ago and immediately stopped flying for work. Now I fly UAL maybe 1-2 times a year. I prefer SW or AS, even without status on either. But when I have to fly UA due to my destination, it's nice to have early boarding and seat selection. And my family doesn't know how to pack, so it is nice to have the free checked bag. Even as Gold, UA is indifferent to me as a customer (at best). I'd hate to fly them without any status.
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
As someone above already mentioned, it depends on how close you are. In my case I believe it will be worth it--966,815 and counting....
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
As others have noted, whether or not to commit to achieving 1MM status is up to you. In my opinion, if your situation allows you to project travel several years into the future and flying United is a good choice for you, go for it.

My only regret is that when I was younger and flying a lot, I split my travel between United and Delta. When circumstances changed, I stuck with United and achieved 1MM status. Now at 1.8 million miles, I regret flying so much on Delta - not because it was bad, but because if even half of those Delta miles had been on United, I would now have achieved UA 2MM+ status - which would have put me in an even better place!

Choose wisely!
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
As others have noted, whether or not to commit to achieving 1MM status is up to you. In my opinion, if your situation allows you to project travel several years into the future and flying United is a good choice for you, go for it.

My only regret is that when I was younger and flying a lot, I split my travel between United and Delta. When circumstances changed, I stuck with United and achieved 1MM status. Now at 1.8 million miles, I regret flying so much on Delta - not because it was bad, but because if even half of those Delta miles had been on United, I would now have achieved UA 2MM+ status - which would have put me in an even better place!

Choose wisely!
Well, if you were at 2.5 million miles, those DL miles would make a huge difference because of the potential lifetime 1K status. The benefits of lifetime Platinum status are not much different from those of the lifetime Gold status, however.
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by worldtrav
The sooner you liberate yourself from the shackles of airline frequent flyer programs the better your life will become.
That could be interpreted as both yes to pursuing lifetime status or to not bother
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only regret is that when I was younger and flying a lot, I split my travel between United and Delta. When circumstances changed, I stuck with United and achieved 1MM status. Now at 1.8 million miles, I regret flying so much on Delta - not because it was bad, but because if even half of those Delta miles had been on United, I would now have achieved UA 2MM+ status - which would have put me in an even better place!...
Well, you can always hope UA and DL will merge on day I had no aspiration for UA MM at all - I think I was maybe 300K LT. When UA and CO merged, it brought me to I think 650K. Then suddenly it looked doable - and that was about 1M miles ago
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM

Choose wisely!
Same sad situation for me. 1.33 mm on UA and 0.81 mm on AA. Wish they were all on UA. I am not chasing the mm status on AA as the benefits are no better than getting a credit card but UA mm status is different.
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Same sad situation for me. 1.33 mm on UA and 0.81 mm on AA. Wish they were all on UA. I am not chasing the mm status on AA as the benefits are no better than getting a credit card but UA mm status is different.
I have been preaching to stick to one program for awhile in the forum but I get push back by some that it is not worth it or the flexibility to fly other airlines. I respect those opposing views.

I have over 1 MM BIS on other *A airlines and about 1/2 million on none *A airlines over the years because I wanted to try other airlines. Looking back I could have made my 4MM (lifetime GS) 4 years earlier and enjoy all the benefits instead of sweating it out each of those 4 years on GS requalifications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.