Heading to Kilimanjaro

Old Feb 22, 20, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG
Heading to Kilimanjaro

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have 825K lifetime miles on UA, and I'd like to push for 1 million. I'm planning a trip to Kilimanjaro at the end of July. I can use miles I have on UA (250K), AA (150K), or BA (150K), although I know that I don't get credit for miles toward UA lifetime gold status of 1 million. The UA tickets are generally expensive to Tanzania/Africa.

Are there suggestions as to how to creatively use miles and dollars to maximize the UA lifetime miles I can get without paying a fortune for it. I'd like to keep out of pocket spend to $1000.

I know this is a tricky question, so all help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 20 at 6:24 pm Reason: split post
Old Feb 22, 20, 6:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The second part of OP's post on MMer status has been split off as Is it even worth it to go for million miler lifetime status?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

For the Kilimanjaro query, suggest checking out Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Old Feb 22, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Lamour View Post
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have 825K lifetime miles on UA, and I'd like to push for 1 million. I'm planning a trip to Kilimanjaro at the end of July. I can use miles I have on UA (250K), AA (150K), or BA (150K), although I know that I don't get credit for miles toward UA lifetime gold status of 1 million. The UA tickets are generally expensive to Tanzania/Africa.

Are there suggestions as to how to creatively use miles and dollars to maximize the UA lifetime miles I can get without paying a fortune for it. I'd like to keep out of pocket spend to $1000.

I know this is a tricky question, so all help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Not sure where you are starting from or where you want to sit on the plane(s) but you can get to Kili in the the front on UA an Ethiopian for 250k via Bru and Addis from IAD - much less in the back - Maximizing UA LT miles for the money will be a challenge , you will only earn them from your connection (if you do not live on a hub and the TATL) and you will not be be getting a fare at $1000 for those sectors- you can buy a coach ticket on Ethiopian for the about $1000 return
Lamour likes this.

Last edited by wanderingkev; Feb 22, 20 at 7:29 pm
Old Feb 22, 20, 8:35 pm

Maybe set some alerts on google flights? I have been watching south/southeast Africa fares for a few months and *A airlines seem to have quite a few deals that pop up for a day or three. Especially to DAR. As an example, they were around $600/650 from SFO a couple weeks ago and have seen them around $750 from AUS - off and on. [In Y] Most flights where United to either the east cost or somewhere in Europe before connecting to a *A Africa airline - which would earn MM credit for the United portion and come in at under $1000
Lamour likes this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 2:01 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
Also consider Turkish to use your points as they fly to Dar. Also Nairobi is a major airport and the flight to Killimanjaro from Nairobi is around the same distance as Dar.
Old Feb 23, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Gold & Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by wanderingkev View Post
Not sure where you are starting from or where you want to sit on the plane(s) but you can get to Kili in the the front on UA an Ethiopian for 250k via Bru and Addis from IAD - much less in the back - Maximizing UA LT miles for the money will be a challenge , you will only earn them from your connection (if you do not live on a hub and the TATL) and you will not be be getting a fare at $1000 for those sectors- you can buy a coach ticket on Ethiopian for the about $1000 return
Chiming in, having done this trip last July from BOS. Would be helpful to know where you are flying from. Can't comment on AA but had a bunch of trip mates who routed through AMS on Delta. Otherwise as others in this thread have pointed out, you are looking at a few options:

To London, then connecting into Ethiopian flights through Addis, or through BRU, or IAD directly to Addis. Then on to Tanzania. FWIW, it was very efficient connections and easy to manage. Definitely fly right into Tanzania vs other airports. As noted, the other alternative is Turkish Airlines via DAR.

I booked BOS to EWR, EWR to LHR, then LHR to ADD, onward to JRO. Due to flight issues, United switched me to BOS to IAD, IAD to ADD then to JRO (all same connections). On way back as I wanted later flight in day, did JRO to ADD, ADD to BRU, then BRU to EWR and home to BOS.

Hope this helps, my BIS miles ended up being about 25K round trip, realize you are also trying to use miles FWIW.
Old Feb 23, 20, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams View Post
Also consider Turkish to use your points as they fly to Dar. Also Nairobi is a major airport and the flight to Killimanjaro from Nairobi is around the same distance as Dar.
There is also TK567: IST-ZNZ-JRO-IST.
Old Feb 23, 20, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG
Yes, so sorry - Flying from LAX, living in SAN. That was a major omission from my post. Thank you!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: