Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United raises first baggage fee to $35 at airport, still $30 if done online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

United raised their baggage fees again, matching what Jet Blue did. Still $30 if you pay online before check in.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...nd/4831976002/

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Feb 22, 2020 at 2:22 pm Reason: Added link
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Noticed the online option became more visible recent, expected this was coming.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA has not raised its fees (yet), but the prepay option is more prominent now as well.

Doesn't seem to be much question that once B6 did it and it didn't fail the next day, that the legacies will follow suit.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Interesting...Fees for bags to Canada seem to be remaining the same as before, at $30/$50. Seems that checking 2 bags as a gm now costs the same (if paying at the counter) whether flying domestically or transborder. Never understood why, when they changed it last, Canada got the shaft on second bag (at $50 vs. $40). Of course, Mexico/Caribbean went up as well. Guess this really is following B6...coincidence that UA isn’t raising bag fees to the one country that JetBlue doesn’t fly?

and wow, 2nd bag to MEX is pricey...currently $55, going to $60. That seems crazy.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Ugh what garbage. One more way United doesn't deserve to be considered a legacy airline.
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I think UA could raise it to $40, with lots of complaints but still fly full. Demand exceeds supply on my routes. I’m a former 1K and dropping $35 for a piece of luggage if needed is a nothing if you ask me.

This always surprises me, people will spend $10,000 on a vacation but get upset about a luggage fee...
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I think UA could raise it to $40, with lots of complaints but still fly full. Demand exceeds supply on my routes. I’m a former 1K and dropping $35 for a piece of luggage if needed is a nothing if you ask me.

This always surprises me, people will spend $10,000 on a vacation but get upset about a luggage fee...
This. Sometimes the things people get upset about...
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by halls120
Or look at it another way, why should I subsidize others packing habits? If I can travel for a week of business meetings with carry-on, I'm happy with no subsidies for others.

Age old difference between people who want a ticket with everything included and those who will pick what they want.

For those who do care, this also makes "loyalty" more valuable. For someone who travels just 2x per domestic month and checks a bag, status including a bag works out to $1,680 per year.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120
Exactly. I predict an increase in oversize carryons.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Age old difference between people who want a ticket with everything included and those who will pick what they want.
And the age-old myth that unbundling produces lower base fares. Did fares go down $5 in conjunction with this (hint: no). There are no winners when UA increases a fee.
AeRoSpaceman and Halo117 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
And the age-old myth that unbundling produces lower base fares. Did fares go down $5 in conjunction with this (hint: no). There are no winners when UA increases a fee.
Other than Kirby
AeRoSpaceman and leoo like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

The cost of many tickets are high you would think the cost for checking bags should be included. To many people try and cram big bags as carry on.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Exactly. I predict an increase in oversize carryons.
Why....under the current bag fees, is there any evidence that people aren't bringing on oversize (or more than the allowed number of) carryons to avoid fees.

I only bring on what the rules allow me to. But if UA isn't going to bother to enforce their own carry on rules, which they barely do, then there are a good number of folks that will just ignore them. I'd bet under the $5 increase, there aren't many more that are going to bring oversize bags on that weren't already doing it.

UA should enforce their publicized limits (but cue the folks complaining about use of sizers, etc.)

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, but if people pay online, the fees aren't increasing either. It's also possible that a $5 additional bag fee prevented an additional attempted fare increase of $5 (of course, there is complication since not everyone pays a bag fee, etc.).

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The cost of many tickets are high you would think the cost for checking bags should be included. To many people try and cram big bags as carry on.
Some airlines do this. AC, for example, includes bags on higher economy fares (definitely latitude, and I think flex). There's no reason why UA couldn't include them on Y, B, M and E fares, for example. Of course, anyone that can afford a full Y fare can certainly afford the bag fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.