Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Looks like the PP are now extended, mine are good until July 31 2021 and I was able to use them for a March 2021 Reservation.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am currently gold but if you apply the new reduced requirements laid out I should be platinum. Will the new reduced requirements only be applied in 2021? Basically, will I get my new status now or only in 2021?

My current stats are:
PREMIER QUALIFYING FLIGHTS (PQF) 23
PREMIER QUALIFYING POINTS (PQP) 7,356
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by prncess674
I am currently gold but if you apply the new reduced requirements laid out I should be platinum. Will the new reduced requirements only be applied in 2021? Basically, will I get my new status now or only in 2021?

My current stats are:
PREMIER QUALIFYING FLIGHTS (PQF) 23
PREMIER QUALIFYING POINTS (PQP) 7,356
Gold is 8000 PQP, that's your spend. You'll need to get past that to get the next level up. Platinum is 12k in spend. You're short.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Gold is 8000 PQP, that's your spend. You'll need to get past that to get the next level up. Platinum is 12k in spend. You're short.
Not this year. 1K is 12k is spend. (or 9k and 36 flights)...
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WIRunner
this is the revised chart. What am I missing? It shows requirements of 18 PQF and 6,000 PQP.

Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prncess674
What am I missing?
Nothing; it's just that United hasn't updated their systems yet to take the new levels into account. They will, and then you'll be Platinum.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Nothing; it's just that United hasn't updated their systems yet to take the new levels into account. They will, and then you'll be Platinum.
I crossed the new reduced platinum threshold before the apocalypse - I guess I ll be getting 40 extra points expiring 12/31/2021? And a whole set of extra points if I manage to fly another 2020 vacation and cross 1K?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I crossed the new reduced platinum threshold before the apocalypse - I guess I ll be getting 40 extra points expiring 12/31/2021? And a whole set of extra points if I manage to fly another 2020 vacation and cross 1K?
You should get 40 PP expiring 1/31/2022.

Just wait few weeks for the system to update.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
System and dashboard has been updated, but PP sweep under new criteria has not happened yet.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:29 am
Suspended

My points initially extended to 30 April have now automatically been updated to 31 October.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I am Premier Silver. I will now have that status until Jan 2022.

Is there any incentive at all for me to fly UAL this year?

For example, if I need to fly to LAX-MCO in October, and Delta offers the same route at same price, and its my only planned trip for the year, I am not really buying myself anything in terms of qualification for 2021 right?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole

Is there any incentive at all for me to fly UAL this year?....
To make use of those benefits -- free bag, fee E+ access, possible upgrade (note unlimited service), ....

All those would be at extra cost with another carrier unless you have or will earn status on them.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ability to use your benefits?

For example, if I need to fly to LAX-MCO in October, and Delta offers the same route at same price, and its my only planned trip for the year, I am not really buying myself anything in terms of qualification for 2021 right?
Correct, it won't do anything for qualification, but you'll get a free checked bag and E+ at check-in... Presumably that's worth something to you, or you wouldn't have bothered to get UA status in the first place.

Now, if the DL route is substantially more convenient or something, then, sure, it makes sense to fly them. But if it's otherwise a tie, I'd think the scales would tip toward the program where you have status.
caseminole likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To make use of those benefits -- free bag, fee E+ access, possible upgrade (note unlimited service), ....

All those would be at extra cost with another carrier unless you have or will earn status on them.
Yes, thank you, makes sense. The elite status benefits for THIS year would be the only incentives.

I was just wondering if somehow i would gain something towards elite status qualification for next year, which I will not, since the extension granted
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Perhaps to use those Silver benefits? Otherwise, if another provider is offering you a better price, go there.
caseminole and Repooc17 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.