Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Any idea yet if people holding status the entire year of 2020 based on a 2019 status challenge will be included in the extensions? The fine print gives UA the right to exclude this case, but doesn’t expressly say they will do so. In my case my 2019 flying would have earned me a lower tier of status the “hard way” even without a challenge, so at the very least I hope they give me that level through the end of next year...
I'm still waiting on an answer for this too. If they follow DL's lead, it will be extended. DL clearly states status matches are included. Frankly, it would be a very bad look if they didn't and you could argue it. Sure we didn't fly as much as a published status, but just like everyone else we agreed to certain criteria in exchange status for X amount of time. That X amount of time is the same as anyone else who qualified normally in 2019 and we are receiving the same reduced flying situation this year to try to re-qualify. Not a difficult argument to make that status matches should be included IMO.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Forgot about the differing flights. I just saw the 9k and thought that it was a gimmie. 26 flights is still a lot, but I suppose I could do it.

This is madness - I could actually hit elite on all three airlines this year based on my planned travel. I suppose it speaks to how important elite status really is to the airlines. Give it away like candy and everyone gets shafted because of the influx of new elites.

The people who earn 1k the hard way this year should get way more out of this - I hope they give them GS or something. It seems downright unfair for someone to fly 18k and 54 flights and get what I can with just a few partner flights.
All assuming there will be flying in 2020....
Domestic I can see, but I cant see countries opening up borders soon, even if the actual danger passes.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Has anyone confirmed the extension of their Plus Points? Mine still show expiration dates of 30 April 2020 and 31 January 2021. I'm sure that United Mileage Plus employees have more pressing things to worry about, but it would be nice to actually see the extension. I would have to imagine that pushing that out wouldn't take too much time for someone to update all that in some database and push it out.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by iapetus
Has anyone confirmed the extension of their Plus Points? Mine still show expiration dates of 30 April 2020 and 31 January 2021. I'm sure that United Mileage Plus employees have more pressing things to worry about, but it would be nice to actually see the extension. I would have to imagine that pushing that out wouldn't take too much time for someone to update all that in some database and push it out.
MP confirmed in writing - see this thread: COVID19: UA Extended 80 JAN 31 2020 PlusPoints → APR but NOW → OCT 2020
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Well, yes, there's that, of course. But has this actually been reflected in your account? That's what I was trying to ask.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... But has this actually been reflected in your account? That's what I was trying to ask.
UA did say
The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.
and it has been less than 4 days.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA did say and it has been less than 4 days.
Ah, thanks! I missed that part (over the next few weeks). I was wondering why the expiration dates hadn't changed. I may not be am not the most savvy FTer, but I know better than to assume that United IT operates flawlessly.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Ah, thanks! I missed that part (over the next few weeks). I was wondering why the expiration dates hadn't changed. I may not be am not the most savvy FTer, but I know better than to assume that United IT operates flawlessly.
I would expect it to be done as one of their Saturday early AM system updates.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richie9
I know this is a stupid question, but does United award status immediately upon qualification? If I hit platinum in May for example, do I get the status immediately?

thanks!
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not immediate; it usually takes a day or two.
With the faster flight credit postings, there was one report of someone getting status updated before leaving baggage claim.

But mileage posting can sometimes take a day or two still, and I don't have any knowledge of whether status currently updates with flight credit always, or just sometimes.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... and it has been less than 4 days.
One more thing: was that really just four (now five) days ago?!!? I don't know about y'all, but I am having the hardest time keeping track time these days. And I even have my usual slate of work meetings ... they're just all remote now.
wcj1 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
One more thing: was that really just four (now five) days ago?!!? ... .
yes, 5th April, Sunday (late in the day east coast)
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone been able to use their PP past Jan 31 2021 ??

I see the PP do not show the new expiry and I want to book a trip next march with open PZ space at the moment

thanks
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Anybody already sees the extension of PP expiration? Mine are still showing the usual exp dates, 4/30/2020 and 1/30/2031. I thought both of them are extended by extra 6 months?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by seanp7
The number of 1K's regularly flying in 2021 may not be huuuuge. 1K's can lose their jobs too. We just don't know.
Quite possible there will be fewer flights for a looong time, making FC upgrades much tighter. I also wonder just how fundamentally this crisis will increase video conferencing and reduce flying in the long term. Maybe 1K's will realize they can spend more time at home...and like it.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tommys888
Anybody already sees the extension of PP expiration? Mine are still showing the usual exp dates, 4/30/2020 and 1/30/2031. I thought both of them are extended by extra 6 months?
I asked about that a few posts upthread. WineCountryUA was courteous enough to point out that the announcement did say that the extension would take a few weeks. bluedemon211 speculated that it might have happened this morning ... it didn't, at least not for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.