Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or maybe addressing elite status is about number 1,000 on the priority list?
Yet, of course, it shouldn't be that low, and apparently DELTA doesn't think so either.

All airlines are [almost] equally struggling right now.
NOT all airlines will struggle the same way when flights resume. It's called "planning ahead". And yes, one can [and should!] plan ahead even in a crisis!
Silver Fox and manstein58 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I don’t understand how you think this is gonna happen. I highly doubt travel will even be remotely near 2019 levels over the next 24 months. If that’s the case, who cares if there are a lot of elite members who got extended? Most wont be flying.
Agreed. Even if the economy fully recovered (unlikely), I suspect many people will simply refuse to fly for business or fun, unless it is REALLY necessary (to minimize risk of exposure). And if COVID-19 is seasonal, and returns...
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Of course now UA needs to follow DL's lead, no question. However, I sure hope they will not be as incredibly irresponsible and stupid to do more than extending status. The full 2020 rollover of MQMs into 2021 will cause a huge issue down the road in 2022 and while it will appease customers today, it actually doesn't offer that much incentive to fly once this is all over. Hopefully UA will be coming up smarter ways to get folks back on their planes once this is all over; something that does not create a monster problem 2 years down the road.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cfischer
Of course now UA needs to follow DL's lead, no question. However, I sure hope they will not be as incredibly irresponsible and stupid to do more than extending status. The full 2020 rollover of MQMs into 2021 will cause a huge issue down the road in 2022 and while it will appease customers today, it actually doesn't offer that much incentive to fly once this is all over. Hopefully UA will be coming up smarter ways to get folks back on their planes once this is all over; something that does not create a monster problem 2 years down the road.
I predict travel will not come back strong enough even in 2021 to make a difference in how many elites there are even if they did roll over.
iluv2fly, JetAway, kb1992 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by villox
I predict travel will not come back strong enough even in 2021 to make a difference in how many elites there are even if they did roll over.
My sense is that's correct, and it's why DL is rolling over. Many of the international travel restrictions will likely remain in place for a good chunk of the year. And business activity (along with travel budgets) will not recover for quite some time (certainly not in 2020). It's going to take years for loads to return to where they were before COVID-19.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
UA management is so disconnected from the real world of serving customers and having the arrogance to sending out the previous communication not doing anything.
Yup. I assume UA will eventually extend my 1K for another year, but it won't matter, because everything they've done in the past few months (especially the attempted theft of their passengers' money) has just confirmed my prior decision to leave.
blueman2, Silver Fox and narvik like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:49 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Of course now UA needs to follow DL's lead, no question. However, I sure hope they will not be as incredibly irresponsible and stupid to do more than extending status.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
As a byproduct of this, in late 2021 and all of 2022, everyone will be elite....
Originally Posted by villox
The concept of monetary velocity "V" is useful to try to think about the impact on the elite experience.

Consider "elite velocity" which is the number of times an elite member is in a position to use an elite benefit - say to score CPU or request to redeem PlusPoints for an upgrade.

If UA made every single American a GS through 2021, but no one flew, the elite velocity would be zero (0) and even though a wide array of elites exist and are eligible for a CPU, none of them are in a position to actually use the benefit. It would like if the US Treasury deposited $1,000,000 in every American's checking account but people were too afraid to spend the funds. The base money supply will have shot up but (hyper)inflation will not have taken hold as those newly created dollars are being saved/hoarded and not chasing the same amount of goods and services meaning prices remain stable. This is how I read DL's logic here: demand is shot and even if the elite ranks swell on paper but the actual number of medallion members flying is low, there won't be an erosion of benefits.

If UA accurately forecasts demand not rebounding to late 2019 levels until after 2021 then they should juice the elite ranks to drive business on the margin to themselves. The low demand implies people are flying less and therefore the large paper uptick in elites won't actually result in harder benefits (e.g. upgrades) due to a low elite velocity. Now if UA, or DL, get it wrong and demand roars back, they'll be issues as there won't be the limiting effect of low elite velocity and you'll have a very large pool of premiers/medallions going after the same number of benefits.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or maybe addressing elite status is about number 1,000 on the priority list?
It's always easy to quarterback from the armchair but I'd argue UA's comms on this subject have lagged behind their industry peers. Their initial communication in early March was tone-deaf and a simple "we're focused on other issues right now but we are actively reviewing ideas to help our loyal premiers retain their status...bla...bla...bla..." was certainly doable as evidenced by other major loyalty schemes doing just that.
Hopefully, UA will be coming up smarter ways to get folks back on their planes once this is all over; something that does not create a monster problem 2 years down the road.
If you were in charge of M+, how would you respond in a smarter way?

(FWIW uptread I suggested a [ x ] PQP promo would allow UA to discount the premier thresholds while maintaining the published levels and could be extended again in 2021 if needed. Don't know if that will work now seeing as DL was the first to move here.)
Originally Posted by narvik
Would it have been so difficult for UA to be the leader here?
UA leadership's philosophy rests upon the cornerstone idea of "customers need us more than we need customers". This illusion can be papered over only as long as demand is strong. When demand fails the illusion cannot be maintained and now leadership is having to grapple with the idea of "what do we do if customers are actively lining up to fly us?".
LondonElite and narvik like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
..... now Delta is getting all the goodwills and praises for being sensitive to customers’ needs and a leader in customer services and rewarding loyalty!

UA management is so disconnected from the real world of serving customers and having the arrogance to sending out the previous communication not doing anything.

I have been flying United for 3+ decades and this is probably their worst in terms of PR and being sensitive to the changing environment. I remember UA was a leader post 9/11, and was the first to come out of block to extend status for one extra year while leaving the competitions behind in negative publicity.

It is inevitable that loyalty status would be extended judging from decisions made by hotel chains and international airlines. UA management is just not smart enough see the writings on the walls and dragging its feet.

I guess Marriott and UA truly deserve each other in the Reward Plus partnership.
Indeed.

It is truly amazing that UA and Marriott have not done the smart thing, to extend elite status.

I haven't flown DL for more than a decade, but DL's move earns lot of respect from me. So does Hilton.

Oscar sent an email calling us part of "United family". But that's just lip service.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by kb1992
Indeed.

It is truly amazing that UA and Marriott have not done the smart thing, to extend elite status.

I haven't flown DL for more than a decade, but DL's move earns lot of respect from me. So does Hilton.

Oscar sent an email calling us part of "United family". But that's just lip service.
Agree. I am UA 1K and DL Silver and DL has done a significantly better job at communicating and thinking about its loyal customers. Maybe more DL in my future.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, DL panicked, and therefore UA isn't "smart"?

It is April. I believe the world's entire population* of people who are worried about 2021 MileagePlus status are congregated on this thread. Considering that the vast majority of tickets are purchased within, say, six weeks of departure, the smart move is to wait and see how things proceed before making any decisions. DL may have made that impossible -- I think UA and AA will have to follow suit -- but it doesn't mean that they were smart to do so.

At the end of the day, I don't care whether or not United appreciates me as a customer. The more they dislike my low-yield spending, the better a job I feel I'm doing. I have ignored / laughed at countless messages from businesses saying how important I am to them -- DL's included -- because I understand that what they're really saying is "we want your money." UA isn't any different, and I don't expect them to be.

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Agree. I am UA 1K and DL Silver and DL has done a significantly better job at communicating and thinking about its loyal customers. Maybe more DL in my future.
I promise, you represent exactly the same value to DL as you do to UA: You're a credit card number. (So am I. So is everyone on this thread).

* OK, a slight exaggeration. But not much of one.
SPN Lifer, glbltvlr and Repooc17 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't think DL panicked. This pandemic is like WW3. I don't think there is any dispute that 2020 is done for airline travel.

It is an unprecedented crisis. DL has created lot of goodwill and assurance to SM members at a difficult time. In that sense DL is smart.

Perception is important. You know that's called PR.
uastarflyer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM

It is April. I believe the world's entire population* of people who are worried about 2021 MileagePlus status are congregated on this thread.
<snip>
You say "panic", I say "position themselves favourably" when this is over.

You aren't incorrect in any of your points IMO, but there is a pattern of UA behaviour that has emerged in this crisis that is what UA has been critizised for when they were doing so well (financially).
Some thought they might rise to the occasion.

At least they're consistently horrible; in good times and in bad!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:22 am
Suspended

I don't think DL panicked. This pandemic is like WW3. I don't think there is any dispute that 2020 is done for airline travel.

It is an unprecedented crisis. DL has created lot of goodwill and assurance to SM members at a difficult time. In that sense DL is smart.

Perception is important. You know that's called PR.
2020 is done for airline travel? I think not. I certainly am planning to have near normal levels of travel resuming by June to July.
jsloan, manstein58 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It is April. I believe the world's entire population* of people who are worried about 2021 MileagePlus status are congregated on this thread.

* OK, a slight exaggeration. But not much of one.
especially from individuals keep wanting to "leave" UA

Originally Posted by KEJABEDSM
2020 is done for airline travel? I think not. I certainly am planning to have near normal levels of travel resuming by June to July.
Ditto. Flying is a passion for me. I don't care if it is UA, DL, or any other airline. I will get back on a plane when it is responsible to do so. Status is only a by-product for me (given I have no top status with any airline but lots of them because I fly all of them), and almost all travels are out of my own pocket.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Repooc17; Apr 5, 2020 at 11:36 am
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KEJABEDSM
I see some disappointments in your future. There is no chance travel will be back to anywhere near normal in two or three months.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I see some disappointments in your future. There is no chance travel will be back to anywhere near normal in two or three months.
overall volumes? Totally agree. But my personal travel is a different story.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.