Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
...as to mileage expiration, that’s great that HI is extending mileage expiration. I’d be interested to hear what the right direct response from UA should be, given MP mileage doesn’t expire at all.
UA at some point can “expire miles”. If no activity is observed for a (I imagine, significant) while, UA may attempt to solicit a response of some kind from the account holder. If no response after multiple attempts, UA can expire them.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I am curious what the deal will be with the Plus Points & if they will extend any into 2021? I have 420 still on the books for this year & I don't see myself needing to use any for Upgrades until later summer or early fall. Of course, by then there might be quite a few elites applying them to every reservation just to burn them. That could make CPU's harder to get.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Have you heard anything as to how companies view travel right now and if they'll view travel differently after COVID? Genuinely curious to hear what the higher up C-suite types are thinking right now.
This is starting to drift, so I'll make it short. Execs hate paying for travel. Very few individuals are traveling on cost plus contracts, so every dollar spent on travel is one less dollar that flows to the bottom line. Why is that significant? Assume the average company profit margin is 10%. That means every dollar of profit represents $10 of sales. Put another way, it's far easier to cut travel than it is to increase sales, and in times of economic stress regardless of reason, that's the lever they pull first.

I've been told more than once by CEOs that they know 20% or more of their travel is wasted, they just don't know which 20%. The way they fix that is to restrict travel when they can point to an obvious reason that employees will accept. Those restrictions will not go away quickly, since no one can point to a discrete event when the crisis will be over. Slowly over time, things may be relaxed in kind of a targeted fashion but it won't be a step change.

And to tie this back to UA, you could argue that the current situation was the fatal flaw in United's decision to emphasize business travel. I suspect VFR will recover much faster than business travel.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
The fact of the matter is that $18K + 54 PQF is a lower bar than $15K + 100K PQM for a lot of people, myself included. Would I like a bar that was lower still? You bet, and they might provide one, because they may not think that they'll be able to meet their traffic goals with the current system. But you'll never convince me that adding an additional qualifying metric makes it a more attractive proposition. (Now, if it were either/or? Sure! But I sense that's not what you're asking).
Perhaps I didn't make it clear.

IMHO, UA should back track and do 100K PQM OR $15K PQD.

They need people to fly. Low fares won't do much under current scheme. As one poster said correctly, current system has a fatal flaw in UA's decision to emphasize business travel. UA wants $7K per ticket but OPM is now gone. This is a big mess. I suspect even if business travel picks up, it will never be the same. Thus, it's wise to go back to PQM plus an option of PQQ.
Boraxo and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
That said, it is based on years of working with Fortune 50 C Level, SVP and Director types, so I know how they think. I fully accept that others may not share this view.

There's also no evidence that suggests that an individual will fly more if they have a higher status level. Up until a few weeks back, the objective had been to get those that are flying to spend more. Given today's lockdown and discussions about a single operating carrier for each route, it makes no sense to offer financial or status promotions. At some point people will start flying again (albeit at much lower levels), and UA will try to stimulate demand/spend using various promotions, but those will be targeted at generating future revenue, not based on what happened in the past.

My take is that the purpose of these gestures are not always aimed at extracting every last penny from the customer. Some organisations (travel and non-travel) are saying ‘we are in this together’ here is what we will help you with. As the post below yours state this might generate some goodwill which could help retain customers in the future. When this is all over we can get back to the business of squeezing every last penny from you.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by kilo
My take is that the purpose of these gestures are not always aimed at extracting every last penny from the customer. Some organisations (travel and non-travel) are saying ‘we are in this together’ here is what we will help you with. As the post below yours state this might generate some goodwill which could help retain customers in the future. When this is all over we can get back to the business of squeezing every last penny from you.
Yeah, we're all in it "together" now, now that they need us. I didn't feel we were "together" before this. The virtue signalling and "stay safe" is getting rather tiring now. For instance, my Fortune 100 company is forging ahead with its redundancies across two divisions of circa 20%. They have been asked not to do so by government and, naturally, the employees affected but delay it until this has all calmed down. Then I get emails about how proud my company is of its employees and I am encouraged to read about heroic stories of how someone fixed a computer somewhere. Heroes? Don't make me laugh. So, this whole "in it together" is bull in a majority of cases imho. Anyway. I have a long memory. Sorry for the rantle. And not having a go at you, just the gesturing and virtue signalling.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If nobody makes any exceptions, UA's status levels will be the easiest to reach of the US3, especially for top-tier status, because while it takes time to fly X number of status miles, it doesn't take any time to spend Y on airfare. The simple fact of the matter is, most passengers will not be on-track to re-qualify at last year's status level, because you're looking at a minimum of two months of cratered flying (but, realistically, it's starting to look like more). For someone with the means and desire to do it, UA's program provides an easier path to qualification -- once you start flying again, spend more on your tickets. Somebody wanting to re-qualify on AA or DL, OTOH, is looking at the possibility of mileage runs.

I'm not arguing that this is a good idea -- but I also think your assumptions are invalid, that the US3 will come out with programs that effectively mirror one another, and that a UA flyer will be no more or less inconvenienced by the PQP-only plan than they already would have been absent COVID.
This isn’t really a good comparison and would not take into account most high spend flights are spaced out. Example: Quarterly flights even for biz class travel the clock simply runs out.

Using the word “easy” for ANY carrier program for 2020 is a misnomer. None will be.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Global services benefits keep getting worse and worse. They are nothing compared to CK. Imagine spending 50k then being asked to spend another 450 for cheese cubes and if you want those cheese cubes for free your going to need to be a chairmen’s circle.
Off topic but as a former GS, the UA GS program is actually pretty good. During my GS years I got some awesome treatment including making flights and reroutes that never would have happened as a 1K.

If you don’t want your GS, Ill take it off your bands if you don’t like it
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
<snip>
UA management basically has the following choices:
  • Extend everyone's current status to the end of 2021 (Hilton was first out of the gate with this concept, and it is already building goodwill)
<snip>

I have been making most use of airline status with United, and I have been making most use of hotel-chain status with Marriott.
Strongly suspect exactly these two companies will be the holdouts in their respective industries and be one of the last ones to move away from any kind of status quo as far as loyalty programs are concerned.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:27 am

Instead of the current "fly and pay" model most carriers now have for elite status qualification, maybe "fly or pay" would be a good approach for a couple of years to get things started again.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just received an email from Singapore Airlines informing its loyalty members the status will be extended for additional 12 months (both PPS and Krisflyer).

I am glad my PPS will be extended until September 2021. There was no way I would fly enough to retain it by the September 2020 deadline.
Another datapoint:

My Hyatt Globalist status has been extended until Feb 2022. I did not ask or inquire about it and I am based in DC Metro area (not in AsPac).
I checked my App a couple of days ago and saw the extension. I have not seen Hyatt has made announcement (only the AsPac based members) to extend status systemwide for an additional year.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
IMHO, UA should back track and do 100K PQM OR $15K PQD.
Ah. Since they've never actually done that, I wasn't considering it as something they could "go back" to. But, yes, a PQM -or- PQD structure would presumably allow them to capture both the high-margin travelers they were originally looking for and the frequent / long-distance travelers they need to fill seats.

Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite
This isn’t really a good comparison and would not take into account most high spend flights are spaced out. Example: Quarterly flights even for biz class travel the clock simply runs out.
I mean, I think this is all moot, because I do suspect the airlines will do something to stimulate business once there's any point to doing so. But the answer is still the same: if your organic flight schedule does not get you to the status level you want, your options with UA are to fly more or spend more on each ticket. On DL or AA, you need to do both -- you don't have the choice. UA's is easier.

Whether or not airline status, UA or otherwise, is worth the cost is a separate issue. All I'm saying is that when time is limited, it's easier to meet a spending target than to meet both a spending and mileage target, even if the spending target is lower in the second case.
SPN Lifer and glbltvlr like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yeah, we're all in it "together" now, now that they need us. I didn't feel we were "together" before this. The virtue signalling and "stay safe" is getting rather tiring now. For instance, my Fortune 100 company is forging ahead with its redundancies across two divisions of circa 20%. They have been asked not to do so by government and, naturally, the employees affected but delay it until this has all calmed down. Then I get emails about how proud my company is of its employees and I am encouraged to read about heroic stories of how someone fixed a computer somewhere. Heroes? Don't make me laugh. So, this whole "in it together" is bull in a majority of cases imho. Anyway. I have a long memory. Sorry for the rantle. And not having a go at you, just the gesturing and virtue signalling.
i agree with your sentiment. In someways I was trying to make the same point which is companies should occasionally do things not because it improves their bottom line but because it is the ‘right’ thing to do. There are examples of a lot of companies that have already done so. I know that this is counter to some of the opinions in this thread that suggest UA’s handling of this matter should be based solely on them maximising revenue / profit.
Silver Fox and tomwhom like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kilo
i agree with your sentiment. In someways I was trying to make the same point which is companies should occasionally do things not because it improves their bottom line but because it is the ‘right’ thing to do. There are examples of a lot of companies that have already done so. I know that this is counter to some of the opinions in this thread that suggest UA’s handling of this matter should be based solely on them maximising revenue / profit.
There are plenty of recent examples of UA most definitely nt doing the "right" thing. This linked thread is but one shining example.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kb1992
Go back to PQM system and lower PQD bar in 2021.
This entered my mind this morning when I checked my account and still saw my FPQMs from Presidential Plus. They were supposed to have been converted to FPQPs on April 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.