Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb

I wonder how Corona virus is going to affect the qualification numbers. 80% of my travel is to China, so the slim chance I had of requalifying for 1K is pretty much gone.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by thedon
I wonder how Corona virus is going to affect the qualification numbers. 80% of my travel is to China, so the slim chance I had of requalifying for 1K is pretty much gone.
If the virus scare goes on awhile, it wouldn't surprise me if all the major carriers do some status waivers next year.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
If the virus scare goes on awhile, it wouldn't surprise me if all the major carriers do some status waivers next year.
Possibly. I don't think UA has a particular minimum target for 1K status. More a ceiling. I also suspect they are pretty confident they can manage the supply side with schedule and aircraft changes. When the current problem passes, demand won't turn back on overnight. It will be a slow rise and those going at first are going to be the ones that really, really need to go. Read that as those willing to pay for the privilege.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by thedon
I personally know 8 GS/1Ks. They all travel heavily to China.

Under the new qualification, possibly 3 might barely make 1K in 2020.

With the current virus crisis, their employers have suspended all China travel indefinitely.

This will also affect Japan, Korea etc. as well.

I think only 1 of them will qualify for 1K. Even that is not a given. Without enough OPM, $24,000 is a lot to spend.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA MM
It’s a big deal if you go to China but only about 0.3% of UA/UAX flights go there on normal days.

edit: Math error — it should be 0.6%
I didn’t account for the return flights.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Feb 14, 2020 at 5:21 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It’s a big deal if you go to China but only about 0.3% of UA/UAX flights go there on normal days.

edit: Math error — it should be 0.6%
I didn’t account for the return flights.
I'd be interested in the spread of seats rather than flights. A 772 will hold a lot more than an ERJ. I wouldn't think United is going to do a status waiver because of this virus unless it goes Pandemic and stops most worldwide travel.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mrmoo
I'd be interested in the spread of seats rather than flights. A 772 will hold a lot more than an ERJ. I wouldn't think United is going to do a status waiver because of this virus unless it goes Pandemic and stops most worldwide travel.
I think the real question is revenue and the linkage between that and how UA feels about compensating MP members for The China suspension. I've seen seats on ERJ145s go for prices that probably exceed some TPAC fares. No doubt flights to/from China are more than 0.6% of UA's operations revenue but we can only assume they weren't making a killing on those routes. Why else did they start retrenching before this outbreak? I' recalling those ORD-HKG flights used to be full 744s.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by kb1992
With the current virus crisis, their employers have suspended all China travel indefinitely.
I see a lot of businesses also starting to look at travel in general to conferences or meetings where the risk to their employees might not be insignificant - not just Asia but also the other way round.

Look at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona being scrapped, yes lots of folks from Asia attending, but from allover the globe - so the impact goes beyond simply Asia-travel.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Apple's contract alone is estimated at ~$150 million (presumably the vast majority to Asia). That is ~0.3% of Unite's yearly revenue, and Apple employees clearly don't take up half of the average plane.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jupper
I see a lot of businesses also starting to look at travel in general to conferences or meetings where the risk to their employees might not be insignificant - not just Asia but also the other way round.

Look at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona being scrapped, yes lots of folks from Asia attending, but from allover the globe - so the impact goes beyond simply Asia-travel.
I fear that the worst has yet to come.

This will create recession type impact to airlines worldwide. There will be less travel funded by OPM.

This is the economy downturn some FTers have been hoping for, to teach UA management a lesson for their arrogance
Dhamal, jupper, SEA777GUY and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
typically we see bonus promos when airlines need to stimulate travel. I don’t recall ever seeing “waivers” of status requirements. In the past we saw 2x EQM promos but of course that won’t work now. Maybe 2x EQP?? Also very easy to award 2x RDM or threshold bonuses.

Nothing so far as airlines are managing the situation by simply cancelling flights and thus cutting costs. But at some point that won’t work if people stop flying globally
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
.... I don’t recall ever seeing “waivers” of status requirements. ...
Been awhile but

UA's SoH modified qualification
1K(R) STATUS:
84,000 paid flight miles or 90 paid segments instead of
100,000 miles or 100 segments

FOR PREMIER EXECUTIVE(R) STATUS:
42,000 paid flight miles or 54 paid segments instead of
50,000 miles or 60 segments

FT Exclusive: New Premier qualification levels for next year Randy Petersen on Oct 23, 2000

First time I got 1K
SFHokie and Jkrun03 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Been awhile but

UA's SoH modified qualification
1K(R) STATUS:
84,000 paid flight miles or 90 paid segments instead of
100,000 miles or 100 segments

FOR PREMIER EXECUTIVE(R) STATUS:
42,000 paid flight miles or 54 paid segments instead of
50,000 miles or 60 segments

FT Exclusive: New Premier qualification levels for next year Randy Petersen on Oct 23, 2000

First time I got 1K
Nineteen years ago is definitely “been awhile “.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
with travel being curtailed due to coronavirus-surely the united 1k ranks etc will be decimated after the changes from the start of this yr?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
with travel being curtailed due to coronavirus-surely the united 1k ranks etc will be decimated after the changes from the start of this yr?
Depends on what you mean by decimated and what UA you might do to "adjust"

Pacific / Asia is 15% of UA's ASM and 10% of passenger revenues. China was less than half of those numbers. There are many UA elites that never go to Asia. Those that do will be significantly impacted but most will not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.