Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19 / UA to Change or Extend Premier Status Levels for 2020?

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
QUOTE=Fims;32219352]Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....[/QUOTE]

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 13, 20, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat

I wonder how Corona virus is going to affect the qualification numbers. 80% of my travel is to China, so the slim chance I had of requalifying for 1K is pretty much gone.
Old Feb 13, 20, 2:49 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by thedon View Post
I wonder how Corona virus is going to affect the qualification numbers. 80% of my travel is to China, so the slim chance I had of requalifying for 1K is pretty much gone.
If the virus scare goes on awhile, it wouldn't surprise me if all the major carriers do some status waivers next year.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
If the virus scare goes on awhile, it wouldn't surprise me if all the major carriers do some status waivers next year.
Possibly. I don't think UA has a particular minimum target for 1K status. More a ceiling. I also suspect they are pretty confident they can manage the supply side with schedule and aircraft changes. When the current problem passes, demand won't turn back on overnight. It will be a slow rise and those going at first are going to be the ones that really, really need to go. Read that as those willing to pay for the privilege.
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thedon View Post
I personally know 8 GS/1Ks. They all travel heavily to China.

Under the new qualification, possibly 3 might barely make 1K in 2020.

With the current virus crisis, their employers have suspended all China travel indefinitely.

This will also affect Japan, Korea etc. as well.

I think only 1 of them will qualify for 1K. Even that is not a given. Without enough OPM, $24,000 is a lot to spend.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:53 pm

It’s a big deal if you go to China but only about 0.3% of UA/UAX flights go there on normal days.

edit: Math error — it should be 0.6%
I didn’t account for the return flights.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Feb 14, 20 at 5:21 am
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
It’s a big deal if you go to China but only about 0.3% of UA/UAX flights go there on normal days.

edit: Math error — it should be 0.6%
I didn’t account for the return flights.
I'd be interested in the spread of seats rather than flights. A 772 will hold a lot more than an ERJ. I wouldn't think United is going to do a status waiver because of this virus unless it goes Pandemic and stops most worldwide travel.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mrmoo View Post
I'd be interested in the spread of seats rather than flights. A 772 will hold a lot more than an ERJ. I wouldn't think United is going to do a status waiver because of this virus unless it goes Pandemic and stops most worldwide travel.
I think the real question is revenue and the linkage between that and how UA feels about compensating MP members for The China suspension. I've seen seats on ERJ145s go for prices that probably exceed some TPAC fares. No doubt flights to/from China are more than 0.6% of UA's operations revenue but we can only assume they weren't making a killing on those routes. Why else did they start retrenching before this outbreak? I' recalling those ORD-HKG flights used to be full 744s.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG Pt
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
With the current virus crisis, their employers have suspended all China travel indefinitely.
I see a lot of businesses also starting to look at travel in general to conferences or meetings where the risk to their employees might not be insignificant - not just Asia but also the other way round.

Look at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona being scrapped, yes lots of folks from Asia attending, but from allover the globe - so the impact goes beyond simply Asia-travel.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Apple's contract alone is estimated at ~$150 million (presumably the vast majority to Asia). That is ~0.3% of Unite's yearly revenue, and Apple employees clearly don't take up half of the average plane.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jupper View Post
I see a lot of businesses also starting to look at travel in general to conferences or meetings where the risk to their employees might not be insignificant - not just Asia but also the other way round.

Look at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona being scrapped, yes lots of folks from Asia attending, but from allover the globe - so the impact goes beyond simply Asia-travel.
I fear that the worst has yet to come.

This will create recession type impact to airlines worldwide. There will be less travel funded by OPM.

This is the economy downturn some FTers have been hoping for, to teach UA management a lesson for their arrogance
Dhamal, jupper, Slurve30 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
typically we see bonus promos when airlines need to stimulate travel. I don’t recall ever seeing “waivers” of status requirements. In the past we saw 2x EQM promos but of course that won’t work now. Maybe 2x EQP?? Also very easy to award 2x RDM or threshold bonuses.

Nothing so far as airlines are managing the situation by simply cancelling flights and thus cutting costs. But at some point that won’t work if people stop flying globally
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
.... I don’t recall ever seeing “waivers” of status requirements. ...
Been awhile but

UA's SoH modified qualification
1K(R) STATUS:
84,000 paid flight miles or 90 paid segments instead of
100,000 miles or 100 segments

FOR PREMIER EXECUTIVE(R) STATUS:
42,000 paid flight miles or 54 paid segments instead of
50,000 miles or 60 segments

FT Exclusive: New Premier qualification levels for next year Randy Petersen on Oct 23, 2000

First time I got 1K
SFHokie and Jkrun03 like this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Been awhile but

UA's SoH modified qualification
1K(R) STATUS:
84,000 paid flight miles or 90 paid segments instead of
100,000 miles or 100 segments

FOR PREMIER EXECUTIVE(R) STATUS:
42,000 paid flight miles or 54 paid segments instead of
50,000 miles or 60 segments

FT Exclusive: New Premier qualification levels for next year Randy Petersen on Oct 23, 2000

First time I got 1K
Nineteen years ago is definitely “been awhile “.
Old Feb 20, 20, 10:15 pm

Programs: United 1k
with travel being curtailed due to coronavirus-surely the united 1k ranks etc will be decimated after the changes from the start of this yr?
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
with travel being curtailed due to coronavirus-surely the united 1k ranks etc will be decimated after the changes from the start of this yr?
Depends on what you mean by decimated and what UA you might do to "adjust"

Pacific / Asia is 15% of UA's ASM and 10% of passenger revenues. China was less than half of those numbers. There are many UA elites that never go to Asia. Those that do will be significantly impacted but most will not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: