Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
We're not in manufacturing, so the vast amount of business travel are things that could be done via either teleconference, phone calls, video telepresence, Webex or whatnot.

Besides building "stuff" or putting hands on "stuff" - what REALLY needs to be done in person?

Face-to-face meetings are important, and develop deeper relationships with ones' clients, but - in a global pandemic - I think we can get by with doing those things virtually, without a revenue impact.
There are probably lots of traveling sales people who feel otherwise. But right now the people they visit might actually prefer they'd stay away and instead "phone it in".
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It's really unfair to United, which has a minimum 31 inch pitch internationally, lots of E+, PP, and even high density J configurations, to blame it for virus transmission. There are A LOT of airlines out there who stuff far more people onto a plane than UA does.
I am happy to agree that aluminum tubes with other liveries on them are likely equally risky. Doubtful that 9-across vs 10-across is making a difference if your neighbor is coughing or sneezing.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
We are specifically forbidden to attend any international meetings where people from multiple continents are congregating - even if in our home city. Consumer Electronics Conference, or other big huge meetings represent significant risk, as noted above with the British visitor to Singapore. We have a wwide travel ban for intercontinental travel. Intracontinental is OK (for now). But with Italy and Korea showing increases, will it be long before EU countries worry about open borders?

Regarding question, no chance i hit >$120k this year, as my international commuting has been shelved, for now. I am shockingly ambivalent about status - lifetime gold is a good floor, 1K is guaranteed, and eating dinner at home for around a month has been kind of nice. (probably driving my wife crazy tho..)
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by fivevsone; Feb 24, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
There are probably lots of traveling sales people who feel otherwise. But right now the people they visit might actually prefer they'd stay away and instead "phone it in".
Exactly the business I’m in (traveling sales guy) and exactly the thought. My customer relationships are strong enough that we can survive a few months of virtual meetings and phone calls vs in person. Especially if it’s because of health. Any levelheaded person would understand that.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am happy to agree that aluminum tubes with other liveries on them are likely equally risky. Doubtful that 9-across vs 10-across is making a difference if your neighbor is coughing or sneezing.
And what if your neighbor is just under the weather with a common cold? At present time, with everything happening before one even boarding a flight, that tube you are describing may be one of the safest places.

Are there any widespread passenger transmission?

There are plenty of other threads to take jabs at UA.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
And what if your neighbor is just under the weather with a common cold?
Then you might catch a cold. Look, the post you quoted simply said that United’s planes are not riskier than others with less dense configurations when it comes to transmission of viruses.

At present time, with everything happening before one even boarding a flight, that tube you are describing may be one of the safest places.
Perhaps, I don’t know and haven’t seen any studies about it. I try to touch as little as possible in airports, especially during the cold/flu season anyway. And don’t stand super close to strangers in security and boarding lines.

Are there any widespread passenger transmission?
I don’t know of any, but I see little magic that would prevent it in an aircraft compared to other environments. Still, I am scheduled to fly six segments within North America in the next two weeks and then a trip to Europe later in March and currently plan on traveling. But... things may change.

One thing to not forget is that it isn’t just the time at the airport and in the (United) airplane that is causing companies to cancel international travel, but also the risk at the destination. Hotels, conferences, business meetings, ...
There are plenty of other threads to take jabs at UA.
How does this thread (or my post perhaps) take a jab at UA?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Then you might catch a cold. Look, the post you quoted simply said that United’s planes are not riskier than others with less dense configurations when it comes to transmission of viruses.

Perhaps, I don’t know and haven’t seen any studies about it. I try to touch as little as possible in airports, especially during the cold/flu season anyway. And don’t stand super close to strangers in security and boarding lines.

I don’t know of any, but I see little magic that would prevent it in an aircraft compared to other environments. Still, I am scheduled to fly six segments within North America in the next two weeks and then a trip to Europe later in March and currently plan on traveling. But... things may change.

How does this thread (or my post perhaps) take a jab at UA?
Notwithstanding the c virus, we would have never started a conversation about someone sneezing/coughing in an airline forum otherwise.

As I said before, planes are probably one of the safest places to be these days.

No jabs in this thread? "United Airlines ultra tight slimline seats and micro-mini lavs".

People are dying, and we are talking about 9 across ,10 across, oh can UA extend my status for another year?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17

People are dying, and we are talking about 9 across ,10 across, oh can UA extend my status for another year?
In the UA forum, yes we talk about UA related issues such as the impact on people’s status (mine won’t be affected).

There are several other threads on FT that talk about more serious covid-19 impacts. You might find this one useful:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...ona-virus.html
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:44 pm

0000100517-20-000007 - 8-K - United Airlines Holdings, Inc.

As a result of the coronavirus ("COVID-19") outbreak, as of the date of this report, United Airlines, Inc. ("United"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of United
Airlines Holdings, Inc. ("UAL", and together with United, the "Company"), has suspended flights between the United States and each of Beijing, Chengdu,
Shanghai and Hong Kong through April 24, 2020.

These routes represented approximately 5% of the Company's 2020 planned capacity and the Company's
other trans-Pacific routes represented an additional 10% of the Company's 2020 planned capacity.

As a result of COVID-19, we are currently seeing an approximately 100% decline in near-term demand to China and an approximately 75% decline in near-term demand on the rest of our trans-Pacific routes.
We are managing our business to minimize the operational and financial disruption.

For the first quarter of 2020, we currently expect the reduced revenue on our trans-Pacific routes to be partially offset by the related decline in fuel prices and
other cost savings. The incremental earnings headwind is also expected to be offset by higher earnings from our recently extended co-brand partnership with
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and Visa U.S.A. Inc. Accordingly, we expect first quarter adjusted diluted earnings per share ("EPS") to remain within our
previously provided guidance range of $0.75 to $1.25.

Beyond the first quarter, we believe the range of possible scenarios is too wide to provide earnings
guidance at this time. If COVID-19 were to run its course by mid-May, and normal travel patterns on trans-Pacific routes resume gradually over five months,
we would expect to be tracking to deliver 2020 adjusted EPS within our previously provided guidance range of $11.00 to $13.00.
However, due to the heightened uncertainty surrounding this outbreak, its duration, its impact on overall demand for air travel and the possibility the outbreak spreads to other
regions, the Company is withdrawing all full-year 2020 guidance issued on January 21, 2020.

Despite these short-term impacts, the Company continues to believe it will be in a strong position to deliver earnings growth in 2021 and beyond. We
currently expect 2022 adjusted EPS
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The are probably close to 100 threads across FT on coronavirus, the reason for the separate thread is to focus on specific topics. The topic of the is thread is will "UA to change/extend status levels for 2020 in response to the situation", let's try to stay reasonably close to that topic here in the future.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
reinballe likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2020 at 9:14 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
I’m currently in the middle of a GS challenge as I was just shy of GS renewal. My travels take me to Asia but obviously that’s not happening. About half of my UA rev comes from business class apac travel.

I was going to email them this week and see if there is anything they can do. If I did my usual spring Asia trip I would have hit the challenge no problem. Now I 100% will not
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Life Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Now with flights to Milan turned around and my colleagues were not allowed to visit the sites inside the red zone in Italy, most of us will be facing WWide intercontinental travel restriction sooner or later by our business as fivevsone stated in his thread. That might force United's hands to extend the status as people will not travel or allowed to travel for business.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: HA KE OZ UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jsloan
Of course not. I think it's neither an appreciably higher nor lower risk than just about anything else.

That at least makes sense, although it's really sad. "Governments are acting out of ignorance, so therefore we need to guard against the possibility that our employees will be detained pointlessly."

Oh, come on. Nowhere did I suggest that a UA plane was any safer than anywhere else.

If being on a plane with an infected person for 12-18 hours were a major risk, we would have had major, worldwide outbreaks months ago.

I mean, sure, that's great, but I wonder how you're going to feel when the lost revenue trickles down the employee salary or bonus pool.
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Already confirmed cases of flight attendants with virus.
An airplane is most definitely a risky place to be now anywhere in the world. I'm not getting on one for a
​​​while.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Scrubbing or mass withdrawal from the Summer Olympics would be a game changer - perhaps to roll everyone over to 2021 as is.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kimChee
An airplane is most definitely a risky place to be now anywhere in the world. I'm not getting on one for a
​​​while.
No more or less than anywhere else. Flight attendants (and international passengers) take the subway, go the grocery store, watch movies, etc. There's a reason that the WHO recommends against travel bans. They're ineffective. Avoiding a plane to avoid the coronavirus is like avoiding the aquarium to avoid a shark attack.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Scrubbing or mass withdrawal from the Summer Olympics would be a game changer - perhaps to roll everyone over to 2021 as is.
Were you planning to go to the Olympics? I suspect most frequent flyers weren't.

As a symbolic measure, sure, it would be problematic -- and it would also be a fairly strong indication of a prolonged travel slowdown. But I don't see what it would have to do with UA status, in and of itself. And I still don't think that any airline is ever going to roll over someone's status from year to year. And they definitely won't do it in February. There's little advantage to UA to tell people that they needn't bother trying to qualify for 2021 status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.