Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight booked with previous airline credit

Old Feb 21, 20, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

I have a complicated issue and would like to ask around. I booked a trip to Honolulu using eCredit using a previous airline flight cancellation. However, due to the situation in Coronavirus in Honolulu, I would like to cancel it as I don't trust the local health agency response even though both local governments and airlines have not declared travel restriction to Hawaii.

When I contacted Chase travel agent (where I booked my trip), they said because my current booking is through the eCredit, and United Airline does not allow rebooking/cancelling for eCredit trip. I wonder is it true? I can't find any info online regarding cancellation on eCredit trip, and don't understand why they don't allow me to pay another $300 to save the credit. Any help would be really appreciated!
Old Feb 21, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Many factors in play here, but my general question is to give a little more info on who or what is the "eCredit" you reference. Is that an actual company or product or was it a travel certificate from UA?
Old Feb 21, 20, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!, Zhekai Deng

There is not such UA rule BUT as Chase was the travel agent for the original purchase (?) and the rebooking, Chase makes the rules not United. Note eCredit is not a UA term, but may be a Chase term. (appears DL uses the term eCredit)

This seems to be an issue with your travel agent and not UA.

As a start, I would call back and ask Chase again.

One question, when was the original now cancelled trip first purchased. You may be running into an issue about ticket extendability / life.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 20 at 11:52 am Reason: DL?
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Many factors in play here, but my general question is to give a little more info on who or what is the "eCredit" you reference. Is that an actual company or product or was it a travel certificate from UA?
Sorry for the confusion. It was an electronic airline credit from previous cancelled flight. Basically, I pay $300 to reuse my credit on UA flights within a year.

I booked my initial trip through chase, so i need to go through chase agent. But they keeps referring to UA policy. I might need to speak with them again.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Welcome to FT!, Zhekai Deng

There is not such UA rule BUT as Chase was the travel agent for the original purchase (?) and the rebooking, Chase makes the rules not United. Note eCredit is not a UA term, but may be a Chase term. (appears DL uses the term eCredit)

This seems to be an issue with your travel agent and not UA.

As a start, I would call back and ask Chase again.

One question, when was the original now cancelled trip first purchased. You may be running into an issue about ticket extendability / life.
Initial ticket was bought around Feb 2019. I made the change in Jan 2020.

Chase is the agent, but usually they go with Airline rules. As for eCredit, please see my explanation above.

i agree with you that I might need to keep bugging chase. I know sometimes different customer representatives give different answers.....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 20 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zhekai Deng View Post

However, due to the situation in Coronavirus in Honolulu, I would like to cancel it as I don't trust the local health agency response even though both local governments and airlines have not declared travel restriction to Hawaii.
There are no travel restrictions to Hawaii because nobody has Coranavirus in Hawaii. The Japanese visitor was diagnosed after he left Hawaii and was last in Hawaii Feb 7, so we are now outside the incubation period.

It'll be 80 and sunny this weekend
jsloan, FlytheTail and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:10 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
When I first read the title to this thread, I thought it was a situation where you used a credit to book a flight that the airline then cancelled, and you were running into an expiration date for the validity of the credit. But instead, it appears that you want to cancel your flight voluntarily. Unless UA posts some travel restriction to Hawaii, and you wait until that travel restriction is posted before you cancel, I don't see what options you have other than to book a replacement flight within the time validity of your credit.
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
When I first read the title to this thread, I thought it was a situation where you used a credit to book a flight that the airline then cancelled, and you were running into an expiration date for the validity of the credit. But instead, it appears that you want to cancel your flight voluntarily. Unless UA posts some travel restriction to Hawaii, and you wait until that travel restriction is posted before you cancel, I don't see what options you have other than to book a replacement flight within the time validity of your credit.
Yes, I just want to cancel my flight voluntarily before the flight. But Chase refers UA policy that UA donít allow rebooking if your flight is booked with cancelled flight credit. I am posting this to ask around because I donít find any UA police regarding this, and I definitely hear some people book and cancel it again just to extend the duration of the credit (They pay change fee twice).

I am looking for if other people might know where is UA policies on this or have similar experience can share
Old Feb 21, 20, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Zhekai Deng View Post
Yes, I just want to cancel my flight voluntarily before the flight. But Chase refers UA policy that UA don’t allow rebooking if your flight is booked with cancelled flight credit. I am posting this to ask around because I don’t find any UA police regarding this, and I definitely hear some people book and cancel it again just to extend the duration of the credit (They pay change fee twice).

I am looking for if other people might know where is UA policies on this or have similar experience can share
There is no such UA policy. However, your travel agency is within their rights to apply their own policies.

Is it possible your new travel is in Basic Economy?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: