Best option to Dubai

Old Feb 21, 20, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Best option to Dubai

What are the best options to get from NYC area to Dubai. United surprisingly doesn't fly direct there. What would others choose? Air Canada connection? Lufthansa? Swiss Air? I'm on a quest for GS this year so it pains me not to fly UA metal...
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
As long as you're not on UA metal for GS qual, may as well fly the EK nonstops. Great product and both early and late timings.
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:22 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Gold
Emirates
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
ASKING not stating: But if you used LH purchased via UA I *thought* the Transatlantic portion counts toward spend?

Side note, its not surprising UA doesn't go there... if they did they couldn't whine about the ME3.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
ASKING not stating: But if you used LH purchased via UA I *thought* the Transatlantic portion counts toward spend?

Side note, its not surprising UA doesn't go there... if they did they couldn't whine about the ME3.
The LH flights do count towards United PQP if purchased on a United 016 ticket... But from what I hear, total spend alone does not qualify for GS, it is total spend on UA metal. I am hopeful for $50-$60k this year and hope its enough. But if this $10k flight is on LH, not sure how that impacts...
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:43 pm

Is this in paid J I'm assuming? I would fly EWR-FRA-DXB so you'd at least get the 787-10 Polaris seats on UA metal for the TATL portion.
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Seph87 View Post
Is this in paid J I'm assuming? I would fly EWR-FRA-DXB so you'd at least get the 787-10 Polaris seats on UA metal for the TATL portion.
Agreed.
Old Feb 21, 20, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I like to fly UA to LHR on one ticket, and then take an Emirates flight to DXB. LHR is typically a very competitive fare, at least from SFO. And LHR-DXB is quite competitive as well.
Old Feb 21, 20, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by tvhead View Post
I like to fly UA to LHR on one ticket, and then take an Emirates flight to DXB. LHR is typically a very competitive fare, at least from SFO. And LHR-DXB is quite competitive as well.
Reading between the lines... OP wants more spend not less since it's a paid J ticket on OPM.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by JCrew7384 View Post
What are the best options to get from NYC area to Dubai. United surprisingly doesn't fly direct there. What would others choose? Air Canada connection? Lufthansa? Swiss Air? I'm on a quest for GS this year so it pains me not to fly UA metal...
None of the airlines you mentioned offer direction connection to Dubai neither, so why book away from United when you are “on quest” to achieve GS. It does not make sense to me.

It seems making GS is important to you (since you expressed it pains you but would consider connections on other airlines), so why not just fly UA to FRA, ZRH and then connect onto LH, LX flights to Dubai.

I am not excited about flying AC, LH or LX, but am impressed with TK. If you would like to stick with *A, then that is my preference to fly TK if it does not pain you not to fly UA to achieve GS.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post

It wasn't long ago that UA did fly to Dubai (and Doha, Kuwait, Bahrain). Perhaps as late as 2016?
Flights were filled with (ie.subsidized) flyamerica OPM pax, private and govt.

I agree with Emirates obviously for superior... well everything... and if Star TK>LX/LH>AC
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:27 pm

Programs: United
Last year I did iad-yyz-dxb on air Canada
I am sure there are many options to get to Toronto and ac to dxb wasn’t too bad.....
all *A
Old Feb 21, 20, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
ZRH and FRA are the only one-stop options that get you on UA over the Atlantic and Star the rest of the way. Both require ~4 hour connections in both directions. Of these two options, ZRH gives a better connecting experience and LX J > LH J. However, EWR-FRA is guaranteed Polaris whereas ZRH isn’t. So that’s the gamble you take it you route through there.

Alternatively, you can buy a UA ticket to virtually anywhere in Europe and then connect to Emirates using a separate ticket. This will cut down the connection wait time if you transfer to EK at LHR, CDG or MUC, for example.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 12:43 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Planning a trip for this year to Dubai but no UA legs planned as no longer chasing 1K. Quite liberating not having to work out how to ensure I meet the (former) PQD and now PQP requirements. There are much easier ways to get to Dubai than via LHR/MUC/ZRH from the USA. 🤔
rankourabu likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 7:14 am

Emirates J might be better than Polaris but not by that much. I'd take the "suffering" of having to sit in a Polaris seat and connect in FRA for a single trip, if it guaranteed me GS. Easily.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: