Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight change to protect customer. How would that impact PQP ?

Flight change to protect customer. How would that impact PQP ?

Old Feb 20, 20, 11:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Flight change to protect customer. How would that impact PQP ?

In the past when it was MQM and it was simple. Now with PQP I'm curious what happens.

Example A
Origional Flight from YUL > LAX Direct as type cancelled because of mechanical issues (Would have been 2470 MQMs)
United protects me and routes me YUL>IAH>LAX on same fare type. New MQM is 2950MQM.

I would do nothing and get the higher MQMs
Now with PQP if the YUL to IAH to LAX was a higher "cost" would I get the increased PQP amount? What if it was less? Would I get less PQP?


Example B
Origional Flight fromYUL>IAH>LAX but my flight to IAH is delayed that I'd miss the LAX connect and they put me on a direct (Would have been 2950 MQMs)
United protects me and routes me on same fare type YUL > LAX New MQM is 2470 MQM

Typically I would call and they would credit me the MQM that I should have received on my origional fare.
Now with PQP the direct flight is probably a more expensive fare. Woul they give me the increased PQP amount?


Example C
Origional Flight from YUL > LAX Direct as type cancelled because of mechanical issues (Would have been 2470 MQMs)
United protects me and routes me YUL>IAH>LAX on same fare type. New MQM is 2950MQM

I would do nothing and get the higher MQMs
Now with PQP what if there were not the same type of S fare for example and they booked me as a Y. Would I get the higher PQP/Multiplier/Etc?
tilhas is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 11:36 am
  #2  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 50,480
A little mixed metaphor here -- MQM were for non-UA programs, UA used PQM

PQMs is a dead metric and not longer used by UA.

On rerouting on a UA ticket and *A carriers, your PQPs will not change. just like PQDs did not. These are based on what you paid. regardless if rebooked into a higher fare class.

If you get routed off of *A in the case of Irrops / INVOL, then you need to request Original Routing Credit (ORC)

PQF may or may not change depending on the routing -- again if post lower than purchase routing, ask for ORC

Lifetime miles is another metric some are concerned about and if moved off of UA metal, it may post lower -- once again ORC to fix.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 20 at 11:42 am Reason: lifetime miles
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 11:51 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Thank you!

I'm just thinking if I can increase the PQP during IRROP/INVOL taking advantage of a bad situation. Is there a way?
I know it happens 2-3 times a year and I will be about 2000PQP short of Gold :/ (I fly domenstic around 65 segments a year)
tilhas is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:00 pm
  #4  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 50,480
Originally Posted by tilhas View Post
....
I'm just thinking if I can increase the PQP during IRROP/INVOL taking advantage of a bad situation. Is there a way? ...
Short Answer, No
PQPs on an 016 UA ticket is what you paid. If you got re-issued an non 016 ticket, the posted PQPs might be higher or lower (mileage & fare class based), could be either -- ORC would give what the original ticket was.

Once things have posted, you can then decide what to do. But things like rebooking in a higher fare class with PQM multipliers are gone.


Originally Posted by tilhas View Post
.... I know it happens 2-3 times a year and I will be about 2000PQP short of Gold :/ (I fly domenstic around 65 segments a year)
Paid upgrades now count for PQPs
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:15 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,502
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
PQPs on an 016 UA ticket is what you paid. If you got re-issued an non 016 ticket, the posted PQPs might be higher or lower (mileage & fare class based), could be either -- ORC would give what the original ticket was.
I have gotten slightly more PQDs than I paid on multiple occasions due to IRROPS. However, there's no strategy for it; it's just a matter of what UA's computer comes up with after rebooking. I suspect it would only happen on connecting flights.
jsloan is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:27 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I have gotten slightly more PQDs than I paid on multiple occasions due to IRROPS. However, there's no strategy for it; it's just a matter of what UA's computer comes up with after rebooking. I suspect it would only happen on connecting flights.
I'm flying out of CLT, so almost everything needs a connection to a hub. Keeping my fingers crossed lol

How much higher?
tilhas is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:28 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,252
Mid-trip reissues tend to mess up the calculation, yes. With ORC you at least get the higher amount of the two (choose whether to ask for ORC).
jsloan and tilhas like this.
findark is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:38 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,502
Originally Posted by tilhas View Post
How much higher?
One trip posted with about a 60% bonus. Another one posted with about a 25% bonus.
jsloan is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:41 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
One trip posted with about a 60% bonus. Another one posted with about a 25% bonus.
Awesome! Can you check to see if it was a different class of fare?
tilhas is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:46 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,502
Originally Posted by tilhas View Post
Awesome! Can you check to see if it was a different class of fare?
For PQD purposes, fare class isn't relevant, but I don't remember being pushed into a different fare class anyway. The computers just got confused about how much credit to allocate to each leg, and I ended up with more than 100%.
jsloan is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 1:28 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,695
Originally Posted by tilhas View Post
I'm flying out of CLT, so almost everything needs a connection to a hub. Keeping my fingers crossed lol

How much higher?
To keep this in perspective, your PQP for a trip is going to be solely based on what you actually paid for the ticket. Yes, there might be an odd exception due to an IIRPOP but I can't recall getting a different PQP when that happened to me.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 3:20 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 530
Iíve had this happen already this year. Ticket was in K and re-issued in Y (this was a non 016 ticket). There isnít really any way to know if or when this might happen, so if it does then itís just good luck, and maybe better compensation than a 15% off base fare coupon from AC
david_oz is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:23 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Here is another question.
If I booked a very cheap W fare in economy and I'm only getting 100PQFs on 2 segments

1)
If I do a switch to a different flight 24hrs in advanced on checkin, would it be possible to go for a higher fare (when I check online for next day the PQF are in the 8xx level) and get higher PQF or will the system use what I booked not what I flew?

2) If I change flight at ticketing? to an earlier flight? (Same story as above)

3) If I change the flight at the gate? to an earlier flight? (Same story as above)

Thank you
tilhas is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:27 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,502
Originally Posted by tilhas View Post
1)
If I do a switch to a different flight 24hrs in advanced on checkin, would it be possible to go for a higher fare (when I check online for next day the PQF are in the 8xx level) and get higher PQF or will the system use what I booked not what I flew?

2) If I change flight at ticketing? to an earlier flight? (Same story as above)

3) If I change the flight at the gate? to an earlier flight? (Same story as above)

Thank you
For all three, the answer is, if you pay the fare difference, sure.

However, reading between the lines, I suspect you're asking if a flight change would reissue your ticket using the lowest currently-available fare but without charging you more, and the answer to that is no.
jsloan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: