Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked AC J But Now Wishing I Booked United

Old Feb 18, 20, 8:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Air Canada had some deals from LAX -> CDG this December for $2345 USD in J cabin over Christmas. I booked myself and my parents for our Christmas 2020 trip. Well now reading through all {moderator edit} which seems to be Air Canada and their customer service, I'm kind of wishing I'd had booked the United flight via SFO instead which was around same price. The only reason I booked Air Canada was because of the new Mileage Plus calculation which BTW Air Canada gives 2X miles for all J fares into mileage plus.

I swore off Air Canada after a dismal experience in 2017 but decided to give it a shot since United is rewarding you for flying someone else with their, Mileage Plus program changes. Now I'm actually wishing I booked the United flight with the unmodified Polaris Cabin, and based on what I'm reading regarding Air Canada, I'd rather have another United FA butt slam me as she passes through the cabin each time like on my flight from Santiago. Or have another FA with rolling eyes like the one I had going down to Santiago. The whole non existent call center and email response kind of worries me with my flight so far out in the future and if changes, (not mine) happen and getting it changed or resolved isn't as seemless as United.

How many others on here really long for the familiar no matter how many times you say, you won't fly United again because of so and so?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 20 at 9:09 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.; Unneeeded comment removed
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm booked on AC HNL-LHR via Toronto in April for the PQP leverage. Their customer service (phone and e-mail) is almost non-existent now with hours-long waits to connect to someone at times. If there is a North American airline that could compete with Smisek-era United, It's AC. AC customer service is a train wreck right now. Their reservation system changeover is the Y2K disaster that we didn't see in 2000.
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll keep this in mind next time someone tells me how easy it is to retain 1K under the new system by booking three or four long-haul J trips on AC.
SPN Lifer and seat38a like this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
It's a trade-off. I recently flew AC flight to maximize PQP but ended up with one of their deflated J seats and still waiting for a customer service response. I was always fine with UA, the seats and the non-stops from EWR, but booked a few AC flights just to pad the PQP and to use up some AC promo codes.
wrp96, Kacee, seat38a and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
yeah there phone service sucks at the moment, I called last week but once I got through they were able to change my MNL trip to route through ICN instead of HKG and seemed pleasant and super helpful.

I fly them a lot, and have noted their onboard product is superior to UA, and their flight attendants are WAY better than UA and I really like their old school pods the newer ones are about the same as Polaris.

Do not regret the decision, you will have a good trip.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post
yeah there phone service sucks at the moment, I called last week but once I got through they were able to change my MNL trip to route through ICN instead of HKG and seemed pleasant and super helpful.

I fly them a lot, and have noted their onboard product is superior to UA, and their flight attendants are WAY better than UA and I really like their old school pods the newer ones are about the same as Polaris.

From what I've been reading regarding deflate-gate, makes me want the backward facing 8 across J seats. I have sciatica running down my left side. I've not had issues flying in the old Business First seats. So if the seats deflate, are we talking like no padding at all in the cushion?
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
From what I've been reading regarding deflate-gate, makes me want the backward facing 8 across J seats. I have sciatica running down my left side. I've not had issues flying in the old Business First seats. So if the seats deflate, are we talking like no padding at all in the cushion?
Correct, it's like sitting and sleeping on a metal bench with a piece of cloth over it. The flimsy mattress cover doesn't do much either. I also have never mind the old UA/CO seats in terms of sleeping, they were well cushioned for a good rest. Besides the seat, I think the sleep products on UA are also much better than AC, including the distribution of pajamas and slippers.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'll keep this in mind next time someone tells me how easy it is to retain 1K under the new system by booking three or four long-haul J trips on AC.
With no PQF waiver that is only 5 round trips to CDG or LHR at about $11K spend with their sub $2500 J class fares. I thought I would throw one in for good measure but now kind of regreating it. Pretty sure no other * carrier gets 200% on all J class tickets.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:35 pm

I have never had the seat deflate on me and I have flown AC J maybe 10-15 times or so over the last few years TPAC and TATL, I do remember seeing about it here on FT a while back in the AC forum. I remember there was instructions for how to reset it too. Who knows how / if this is a big issue, we all know how FT'ers over complain/report about things like no PDB, no limes, etc etc etc (myself included) hahaha

Again I would prefer them over UA but to each his own...
Miggles and artvandalay like this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW I recently experienced a relatively short hold time (<15 min) and good service from a phone agent at AC's FRA/Germany call center for an upcoming AC res. I've also seen an anecdotal report or two that the MEX call center can be decent, and their hours are more aligned with US working hours.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:43 pm

Iíve had very good and also terrible experiences with AC. By and large, I try to avoid them now as their CLE<->YYZ flights (all of 30 minutes or so in the air) are cancelled so often that you canít count on them. And if things go wrong... well good luck getting through to them.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:46 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I'm booked on AC HNL-LHR via Toronto in April for the PQP leverage. Their customer service (phone and e-mail) is almost non-existent now with hours-long waits to connect to someone at times. If there is a North American airline that could compete with Smisek-era United, It's AC. AC customer service is a train wreck right now. Their reservation system changeover is the Y2K disaster that we didn't see in 2000.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Man I wish I'd figured out a way to fly that HNL-LHR fare.

I did have to call in for YVR-SIN (twice!) and both times, I waited about 50 minutes on the phone, but the agents were very helpful. The second one was actually incredibly helpful. He went looking for space through all the possible connecting cities before I could even ask; he tried escalating to SQ for space on one flight, and generally did his best to preserve my (albeit very weird) YYZ routing. Maybe I have low standards for phone service, but to be fair, new reservations system, then Coronavirus hits. I get it, they're probably slammed right now, and I wouldn't say it's customer service's fault by any means. I generally try to handle everything on my own online, but in this case, when I needed a human to intervene, they did exactly what I needed and more.

Now, if my seat deflates, maybe I will come back and complain later.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
FWIW I recently experienced a relatively short hold time (<15 min) and good service from a phone agent at AC's FRA/Germany call center for an upcoming AC res. I've also seen an anecdotal report or two that the MEX call center can be decent, and their hours are more aligned with US working hours.
I tried Skype-ing for some overseas numbers since the wait was so long but it kept saying I couldn't call from my area... Anyways I did get a message saying I couldn't even go on hold a few times on the main USA/CANADA ##, the trick is to hangup and call right back and eventually you will be put on hold. I think it was 1Hr 20Min hold for me but again agent was awesome.

I know they are hiring a bunch of more agents in the YUL area I saw it advertised a lot up here in the great white north, should help cut the hold times down in the next few months.
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post

I generally agree with the above, but I think you should also point out for folks (going out of this way to fly AC just to earn UA status) tradeoffs to consider. Having a good trip? Sure, if everything operate on time; traveling with AC and making the connection are much like playing Russian roulette. Do you feel lucky?
Old Feb 19, 20, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Pretty sure no other * carrier gets 200% on all J class tickets.
Maybe we now know why AC J flights earn 200%.
seat38a likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: