Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I Change the Fare Basis of a Ticket Within the 24-Hour Cancellation Period?

Old Feb 18, 20, 11:35 am
Original Poster

I am currently holding an international ticket booked at united.com, and I am within the 24-hour cancellation window.

The fare I booked is a K class fare, is non-refundable but can be used for another ticket with a $300 penalty.

I have now noticed that for $4 additional there is a "flexible" fare. It doesn't appear very flexible, but it provides for a refund with a $300 penalty rather than a credit with a $300 deduction.

The "flexible" fare that I want is, like the fare I booked, a K fare.

There are no more K seats available, so I can't rebook and cancel (and I don't want to risk cancelling in the hopes the K seat will go back into inventory.)

Can I get the telephone reservation people to refare the ticket at the "flexible" fare within the 24-hour period?

If the answer is yes, does the 24-hours start ticking again from the time of the issuance of the ticket at the new fare basis, do I keep the 24-hour period I already had, or does the ticket become non-refundable when the fare basis is changed.

And one more question - if the change is possible, can it be done by Twitter, or do I have to call?
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
I would call and ask all your questions for clarification. You can't get all your questions answered by Twitter, and mistakes do happen.
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post

If the answer is yes, does the 24-hours start ticking again from the time of the issuance of the ticket at the new fare basis, do I keep the 24-hour period I already had, or does the ticket become non-refundable when the fare basis is changed.

And one more question - if the change is possible, can it be done by Twitter, or do I have to call?
IME the 24hrs is a one time thing. If you change your existing ticket you're still only entitled t the same initial 24hrs. If you cancel and rebook you get a fresh 24hr period.

I'd doubt very much that UA would be willing to change your ticket via Twitter. I would call in.
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call. Do not use Twitter.

If you cancel for a refund and then purchase the new ticket, you will have 24 hours to cancel that new ticket. Purchase the new ticket first, just in case the fare basis disappears while you are mid-transaction.

If you change your existing ticket, you will not be able to change it further and you will not be able to cancel it without penalty once the 24 hours runs.
Old Feb 18, 20, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There are no more K seats available, so I can't rebook and cancel (and I don't want to risk cancelling in the hopes the K seat will go back into inventory.)

Can I get the telephone reservation people to refare the ticket at the "flexible" fare within the 24-hour period?
No, you cannot. The change will not price if there is no longer K space on your existing flight. You might be able to call and beg on the basis of you "holding" the K space, but this would be an uphill battle to get a favor done.

You maintain 24 hours from the original purchase. I would definitely never trust this to Twitter.
TerryK likes this.

Last edited by findark; Feb 18, 20 at 2:57 pm
Old Feb 18, 20, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Can I Change the Fare Basis of a Ticket Within the 24-Hour Cancellation Period? ...
Yes, IF available for purchase. But if not available for purchase, No.
And if you cancel the existing ticket, there is no certainty the K inventory will return.

Yes, but as you sure it will be processed in the needed timeframe. I prefer to make sure it is done now vs tommorrow (which could be too late)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: