Search

P and Z fares to HNL (from NYC/PHL)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
P and Z fares to HNL (from NYC/PHL)

Are they gone? I'm search for either for midweek mid May from EWR to HNL - and NOT on the non stop and want to connect either in SFO or LAX overnight in both directions (airport doesn't matter). I can't find a flight with P or Z available.

I even tried cash + miles upgrade and those fares are absurd when mileage usage is figured in.

Should I just burn what I have and become airline agnostic like so many have done?

Last edited by Mary2e; Feb 14, 2020 at 3:52 pm Reason: clairty... I don't want to go to Nottingham right now :)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United doesn't fly to Nottingham from Honolulu, but there is a Sherwood Forest out Waimanalo way...

Not quite sure what non-stop you intend...

I see plenty of P between HNL and LAX, but there are quite a few days where P is restricted to one or two flights, and those might not work w/ connections.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 14, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry, the route is either EWR or PHL to HNL. The capital NOT was for emphasis. I'll fix it now
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the problem is P between West Coast and EWR, more so than P between West Coast and Honolulu. Is BWI an option for you?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much. BWI is a bit far for us.

I will look into the P fares between HNL and LAX. I can either book a different airline or just wait a bit longer.

Are you using Expert Flyer to search? I never signed up and I'm thinking I might for these situations.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
...Are you using Expert Flyer to search? I never signed up and I'm thinking I might for these situations.
No, just clunky old UA.com
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm looking at it now... Thank you for looking for me. I found one flight that would work.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA has gotten much tighter with discount inventory in the past year or so with its new revenue management software. Very common to see only J, C and maybe D in advance on popular routes.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has gotten much tighter with discount inventory in the past year or so with its new revenue management software. Very common to see only J, C and maybe D in advance on popular routes.
Worth noting that for most domestic routes, this coincided with adding an additional fare class for First, so Z and (now D) are each comparatively less expensive.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:43 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Worth noting that for most domestic routes, this coincided with adding an additional fare class for First, so Z and (now D) are each comparatively less expensive.
Yes, many of the routes I pay for first on cost about the same as they did 2 years ago (some even are cheaper) but now typically book into Z and D where before they were P.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:48 am
Original Poster

I did more detailed hunting, and agree with all that's posted above. The P, Z, or D fares are considerably more expensive than in the past. Unfortunately, I need a popular route.... which is turning out to be the EWR/PHL to LAX or SFO.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you lock yourself into UA, you are likely to pay a higher fare t-con. Expanding the options to B6, DL, and AA increases the odds you'll find something reasonably priced.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I’ve been checking all of them and I’m finding the prices pretty close. My hunt will continue.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Are they gone? I'm search for either for midweek mid May from EWR to HNL - and NOT on the non stop and want to connect either in SFO or LAX overnight in both directions (airport doesn't matter). I can't find a flight with P or Z available.

I even tried cash + miles upgrade and those fares are absurd when mileage usage is figured in.

Should I just burn what I have and become airline agnostic like so many have done?
not sure if it is an option for you but flying from YYZ instead of NYC is literally half the price in Business

For random dates mid may YYZ-HNL is 1366 CAD and EWR-HNL is 2800 CAD

I think even adding in a positioning flight to YYZ will save you a few grand for sure....
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll take a look. I can't do the non-stop from EWR anyway - I'll have my little dog with me and the flight is too long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.