Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Potential coronavirus on UA flight to UA901 SFO-LHR 14 Feb 2020

Old Feb 14, 20, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver

This from The Telegraph and Sky News:

"A passenger fell ill with suspected coronavirus on a United Airlines flight from San Francisco to Heathrow this morning. The unnamed passenger was reportedly isolated at the back of the plane, but staff dealing with the incident were not said to be wearing face masks or protective clothing.

Other passengers were later released from the plane, but Andy West, from Henley-on-Thames, told Sky News that they were not given any advice about what to do next."

It doesn't sound as if UA staff are fully prepared to deal with this sort of situation.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS | Marriott Titanium / LT Gold
What are they basing suspicion of coronavirus on though? Was the person recently in China? If so, why were they not quarantined in the US previously? Hopefully this wasn't just an asian person who fell ill and people are causing hysteria over unconscious racism...
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Get ready for any inflight medical emergency (especially respiratory distress) to become a case of "suspected coronavirus"...
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I'm on CX to HKG right now and half the cabin is sniffling (including me). Alert the media!
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:44 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 View Post
What are they basing suspicion of coronavirus on though? Was the person recently in China? If so, why were they not quarantined in the US previously? Hopefully this wasn't just an asian person who fell ill and people are causing hysteria over unconscious racism...
I was wondering the same thing. Flu seems much more likely.
EWR764 and downinit like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:14 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
https://nypost.com/2020/02/14/eight-...navirus-fears/

Eight planes locked down at Heathrow Airport over coronavirus fears

Coronavirus fears sparked a lockdown of eight planes Friday morning at Heathrow Airport — including a flight from California — after passengers complained they were suffering from symptoms, according to new reports.

Passengers on United Airlines Flight 901 from San Francisco were told by the captain to stay put after landing because someone on board might be infected, the Daily Mail reported.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 14, 20 at 1:19 pm Reason: snipnet added per FT rules
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:41 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Ha, well my son dropped his CX flights BKK-HKG-BRU this week and bought last minute tickets for his family of 3 (child 2 years old) BKK-CDG with TH...
panic settling in? They flew 11 feb to CDG.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'm on CX to HKG right now and half the cabin is sniffling (including me). Alert the media!
I left Beijing two weeks ago.
My biggest worry was/is that I get a cold or flu here in the freezing East Coast, as I'm on a United flight next week to Europe.
It's a tad awkward to conduct business with a cold these days with people who know one often travels to China (or even "Asia").
Strange times.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by tartempion View Post
Ha, well my son dropped his CX flights BKK-HKG-BRU this week and bought last minute tickets for his family of 3 (child 2 years old) BKK-CDG with TH...
How was the inflight service on Raya Airways?
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Miles&More, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
It doesn't sound as if UA staff are fully prepared to deal with this sort of situation.
That's also up to Authorities of the arriving country.
UK has issued a guidance shortly after the incident and they state that pax searing in the 2 previous / next rows should also be quarantined : https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ansport-sector
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
I left Beijing two weeks ago.
My biggest worry was/is that I get a cold or flu here in the freezing East Coast, as I'm on a United flight next week to Europe.
It's a tad awkward to conduct business with a cold these days with people who know one often travels to China (or even "Asia").
Strange times.
Yup, I live in China, but haven't been there in a month. I have a tiny sniffle and am so worried about what people will say. Last week I had no sniffle, but almost everyone I was meeting with said "should we meet on the phone?" to which I said, it's up to you and I don't want you to be uncomfortable, but I haven't been in China in 3 weeks.
narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
By the way, if this is United's modus operandi [to take passenger suspected of SARS-CoV-2 to the rear of the plane], it's even MORE important nowadays that those PlusPoints upgrades clear!!!
SS255, JetBunny, DMSFCA and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:57 pm

What does "suspected of Corona virus" even mean? Likely just a flu or cold. Up to 50,000 people die in the US of flu every year.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is so absurd. the plane was held because people (passengers?) were scared. If you're terrified, don't get on the plane in the first place and inconvenience others.

I hearby swear on the giantflying(!) spaghetti monster that I will make sure to cough and sniffle loudly on the next flight to create a nice buffer zone of empty seats next to me on the flight.
iluv2fly and leoo like this.

Last edited by ryman554; Feb 15, 20 at 12:21 am Reason: Removed blaspheme
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:08 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
This is so absurd. the plane was held because people (passengers?) were scared. If you're terrified, don't get on the plane in the first place and inconvenience others.

I hearby swear on the giant spaghetti monster that I will make sure to cough and sniffle loudly on the next flight to create a nice buffer zone of empty seats next to me on the flight.
Blasphemy.. He is the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM).

I do agree that fear without confirmation will continue to grow with this virus. But you also need to be prudent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: