Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Potential coronavirus on UA flight to UA901 SFO-LHR 14 Feb 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential coronavirus on UA flight to UA901 SFO-LHR 14 Feb 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by narvik
Have any children died of COVID-19 though?
SARS took no child's life back in 2003/4.

Looks like the best chance one has to survive coronavirus is to be a child!
I agree but that's why it is scary. I will never be able to have children, but I guarantee that everyone that does have children will do their best to keep them safe from whatever "this" is. Human Nature again..

There are children, just like adults who can have compromised/weak immune systems and can't fight back the virus. That's why we always here that crap happens to the very young and the very old.. It is unfortunate all around.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The scary thing is this thing is new so no one knows what will happen. Remember how scared we all were right after 9/11?

It seems one's survival rate is definitely related to immunity and lung health. I think there was a case where a new born baby got it from the mother. I can't find any statistic on the age of those who died.

I am a risk-averse person. I was in Taiwan the last week of January when at least 85% of the people started wearing masks in the Taipei Metro. On my UA 872 TPE-SFO, almost all the passengers (and some FAs in Y) wore a mask.

I did not wear a mask because I felt, between the situation in Taiwan at that time and my clean-freak hand-washing habit, the risk was very low. I also did not want to waste any masks as who knows how bad things will get (by the way, there is also a mask shortage in the US now).

Now that I am back in the US, I find myself staying home even more (I am a homebody to start with). There is just no need to expose myself to any unnecessary risk. On top of that, being Asian, I worry if I coughed or sneezed, people around me will get scared.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
The scary thing is this thing is new so no one knows what will happen.
But, we have a pretty good idea by now, A roughly 2% mortality rate (very high compared to flu (which has far more cases thus far more deaths) and not as high as some others). Some have mild symptoms - some severe.

I am very healthy at the moment - run several miles day - but, for whatever reason, I've gotten pneumonia twice, so I'd obviously be worried if I got it. I don't wear masks or have a different routine though.

I do hope it gets under control soon.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
How was the inflight service on Raya Airways?
Typo for TG, used to abreviate Thailand with TH....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.