2021 Global Service Speculation

Old Feb 14, 20, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
2021 Global Service Speculation

Is it time to start guessing what it will take under the new system to become invited to Global Service?
How many PQF's or How much PQP will it take?

Where is the Magic point?

Let the Guessing begin.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by shelby101 View Post
Is it time to start guessing what it will take under the new system to become invited to Global Service?

Let the Guessing begin.
Will be the same as before and not directly related to PQF or PQP. It is an unknown threshold of $ spent on non-discounted United only fares.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Why speculate when we don't know what the criteria are today? It's like speculating what income or spend will be required for a Centurion Card invite next year.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:38 am

The issue I wonder if many GS will face is meeting the spend.

i know many GS who make it primarily on 6-8 J trips a year to China. With China flights suspended into q2 it could make it hard to pick up the number of flights need it
LAXOGG, jnb_tx and eric.chen3742 like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:43 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by shelby101 View Post

Let the Guessing begin.
Won’t change. $50K USD spend plus or minus 10-20% and based on your market. Why would it change? It works well and changing how things are counted doesn’t change a company’s revenue generation strategy or P&L.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
My guess is the forced companion upgrade goes away.
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:03 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
My China team has already accepted they will not make it back to GS next year. They have postponed all of their travel there until August already. They will only have two China trips this year, but at least make 1K. I do wonder if GS will take into account regular China travelers who will not travel as much this year? I myself am a little miffed, because I am in the middle of my challenge right now to get it back, and I canceled my regular Q1 HKG trip.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'll claim I was planning on travelling to China to 8 times this year in Polaris, full fare
Xyzzy, wxguy, ekwang and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post

i know many GS who make it primarily on 6-8 J trips a year to China. With China flights suspended into q2 it could make it hard to pick up the number of flights need it
I was hoping my wife would hit it and we would both be GS in 2021 (we are both MMers) but the tech company she works for has shut down all travel to basically all of Asia. She has a few Euro trips but that's about it. I suspect we will both make 1K again but anymore with UA that doesn't get you much over holding their credit card.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
I do wonder if GS will take into account regular China travelers who will not travel as much this year?
The program is 100% transactional at this point. What have you spent with us this year?

I wouldn't expect any accommodations.
nomad420 and twomonger like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably roughly the same as years past: Top Premier members by revenue and yield over recent consecutive years. And probably some forgiveness and latitude for some existing members members due to 2019-ConV. Not rocket science.
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post

I experienced something similar with route contraction, when UA dropped DOH and DXB and the onward flights from NRT ( BKK,SIN,SGN) I kept GS but my spend UA went down from north of $110k to the
60s -70s. If marginal ,this year will hurt the people on those routes.The UA premier customer management system is pretty much non existent so I don't think allowances will be made until appeal time

Quite poss
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The program is 100% transactional at this point. What have you spent with us this year?

I wouldn't expect any accommodations.
Idk, it would make sense if they think those who are no longer GS will be less inclined to fly United metal next year if not GS? I'm not certain how they would do this in practice, but if they had a magic prediction ball they could certainly use it.

I.e. if someone was GS the past 10 years, flying lots of China, and this year flew much less in Q1 and Q2, and only spent 30k rather than their normal 60k a year, it would definitely make sense to keep them on with hopes they would spend 60k again next year. They could easily fear that once they are back as a 1K they'll spend their time trying out different airlines, etc... Maybe I give United too much credit for thinking ahead though
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by A Little Cow View Post
Idk, it would make sense if they think those who are no longer GS will be less inclined to fly United metal next year if not GS? I'm not certain how they would do this in practice, but if they had a magic prediction ball they could certainly use it.

I.e. if someone was GS the past 10 years, flying lots of China, and this year flew much less in Q1 and Q2, and only spent 30k rather than their normal 60k a year, it would definitely make sense to keep them on with hopes they would spend 60k again next year. They could easily fear that once they are back as a 1K they'll spend their time trying out different airlines, etc... Maybe I give United too much credit for thinking ahead though
There is substantial gap lately between what it would make sense for UA to do to preserve valuable, long-term customer relationships, and what it has instead elected to do.
SS255, Air Houston, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I suspect we will both make 1K again but anymore with UA that doesn't get you much over holding their credit card.
As a 2019 1K, I would say that this is really not true. 1K is pretty awesome and United goes far to make 1Ks feel special. Not being part of the club anymore is tough and that's at the Gold level. I cant imagine credit card only.
AirMiles2001 and A Little Cow like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: