Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

companion economy plus on basic economy ticket?

Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

if i'm on a regular economy ticket and my companion is on a basic economy ticket on the same itinerary, as a silver can i upgrade them to economy plus?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Sorry

Nope, you cannot
Complimentary (and paid) access/upgrades to Economy Plus are not valid for tickets containing Basic Economy.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:49 am
Original Poster

i was wondering if anyone have experience to the contrary? i guess it never hurts to ask.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JAXFLY
i was wondering if anyone have experience to the contrary? i guess it never hurts to ask.
To make this simple, when BE is involved, all BE rules apply unless UA has specified an exception. So when BE does not deserve a seat assignment, no advance E+ for BE.

But because how seats are assigned, a BE customer may be lucky enough to get a E+ assignment. But again - they can't be switched because it is BE (again).

So the chance of your companion sitting next to you is extremely slim.

But again - this is moot because you are only a Silver, as you may not even have E+ for yourself.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
if i'm on a regular economy ticket and my companion is on a basic economy ticket on the same itinerary, as a silver can i upgrade them to economy plus?
Your companion will be on a different ticket and therefore, even if it weren't a basic economy ticket, technically you can't get them into E+. With a BE ticket, there's close to zero chance.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I think you should clarify how you are using the concept of same itinerary. Presumably, it means flying the same flights, and not on the same PNR, since you cant have a BE and non-BE ticket on the same PNR.

Technicalities aside, as already mentioned, BE doesnt get access to economy plus - at least, they cant buy a seat assignment there - only UA can assign BE pax to E+, and typically, that will happen only if those are the only available seats left (and I personally think UA should be moving non-premier, non-BE flyers for free to E+ rather than BE flyers, elite or not, but thats probably fodder for another thread). Even if that happens, very unlikely to be seated next to you - the computer will pick the seat, not the pax. While there have been reports of the kiosk allowing some BE flyers to select E+ at check in, I believe its been limited to premiers.

if someone wants to sit in E+, buying a BE ticket is not a good way to accomplish that without a lot of luck.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:18 am

I tried. Three times. United said no, all 3 times. And I'm 1K.

I was on my own PNR on a regular economy ticket (K fare) sitting in E+. Companion was on their own PNR in basic economy (N fare). Called the 1K desk three different times. They wouldn't assign a seat to my companion, let alone move them to E+ with me.

If someone is on a basic economy ticket, they aren't allowed to complain. You need to pay roughly $30-70 more dollars to complain!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Ask a gate agent nicely, assuming that you will get an E+ seat yourself and the adjacent seat is empty. Good luck.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
The only way Basic Economy can be assigned E+ seating is IRROPS when agent may change underlining fare. This happened to my daughter back when seriously cold weather in Chicago caused all kinds of flight cancellations. She was rerouted and her ticket went from BE to Y.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I asked at check in at for a friend on a separate ticket, it was a pretty empty flight, and the CSR gave him the aisle across from me.

I went into it with zero expectation of it happening, so I had noting to lose if she wouldn't.

*strictly guessing*: there are a ton of variables to this request: Flight length, load, and available seats may factor in the decision as well.

Side note, if you don't have success getting him moved up and really want to sit with him, I'm sure his companion in E- would be happy to switch with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.