Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Plus Points Domestic / Non-Polaris upgrade SUCESS 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
PlusPoints Domestic / non-Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2021

Consider posting:
1. Route
2. Date
3. Fare class
4. Y-O, Y-J, O-J (O=PremiumPlus)
5. # of PlusPoints
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear

Related threads

PlusPoints NON-Polaris flight upgrade Failure 2021
PlusPoints Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2021
Print Wikipost

United Plus Points Domestic / Non-Polaris upgrade SUCESS 2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, BonVoy Lifetime Titanium
I should note that 1K desk had 2 options:
8 hour layouver in IAH then direct to PDX in E- middle seat arriving PDX 9:35
1:30ish IAH-LAX-PDX arriving 12:38 am

The Club agent got me to PDX at 8:30pm
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
In situations where you can choose to upgrade to Economy Premium Plus, First Class, or both (787-10), is it better to choose one vs the option where you can apply for both? I am flying EWR-SFO and chose the option for Economy Premium Plus and First Class. Now I wonder if I should have just chosen the upgrade option for First Class so I don't waste points for PP.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: UA MM
CLE-LAX this morning... upgrade with +P: Fail
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Lore
In situations where you can choose to upgrade to Economy Premium Plus, First Class, or both (787-10), is it better to choose one vs the option where you can apply for both? I am flying EWR-SFO and chose the option for Economy Premium Plus and First Class. Now I wonder if I should have just chosen the upgrade option for First Class so I don't waste points for PP.
If you don't want to spend any points to fly in PE, don't list for it. There's no "trick" here - just list for what you want to fly.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by findark
If you don't want to spend any points to fly in PE, don't list for it. There's no "trick" here - just list for what you want to fly.
If I get PE and subsequently get First, do they deduct two sets of points?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, they will deduct all the points if you get into PremiumPlus/PE, and then they'll refund the difference if you don't ultimately get into Business/First.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Each upgrade (Y to PE, PE to J) costs 10 points. You will ultimately be charged for what you consume (10 if you fly in PE, 20 if you fly in J).

They will deduct 20 if you clear to PE because they are "holding on" to them to make sure they don't get used elsewhere.. a little idiosyncratic here, but that's the policy. If you ultimately fly in PE you'll get 10 back.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Each upgrade (Y to PE, PE to J) costs 10 points. You will ultimately be charged for what you consume (10 if you fly in PE, 20 if you fly in J).

They will deduct 20 if you clear to PE because they are "holding on" to them to make sure they don't get used elsewhere.. a little idiosyncratic here, but that's the policy. If you ultimately fly in PE you'll get 10 back.
Originally Posted by fumje
No, they will deduct all the points if you get into PremiumPlus/PE, and then they'll refund the difference if you don't ultimately get into Business/First.
Got it - thank you for the clarification!
Old May 14, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any experience with domestic flights that are NOT marketed with Premium Plus as a separate cabin?

I'm on a flight that only sells seats in economy or first, but there has been an equipment swap to a three class plane. If I use Plus Points but end up in Premium Plus instead of "first" (aka Polaris Business), am I still going to be charged the points? On the flight status seatmap it's listed as first/business (=Premium Plus)/economy
Old May 14, 2020, 4:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
Any experience with domestic flights that are NOT marketed with Premium Plus as a separate cabin?

I'm on a flight that only sells seats in economy or first, but there has been an equipment swap to a three class plane. If I use Plus Points but end up in Premium Plus instead of "first" (aka Polaris Business), am I still going to be charged the points? On the flight status seatmap it's listed as first/business (=Premium Plus)/economy
If the flight is not selling Premiuim Plus, the seats should be considered E+ and normal E+ access rules apply. Can you post the Premium Plus seat map?
Old May 14, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium Plus is called "United Business"
Old May 14, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My first inclination is to call this a glitch, what day is this?
Old May 14, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Looks like this is UA 2220 SFO-ORD on May 15th. Sadly, departs @ 12:45 am.

Today's flight, also on a 787-8, had the same seats showing up in blue (i.e. E+).on the seat map. But today's A/C .(#3907) also doesn't have PP. So, I guess it depends on which A/C flies the route for your trip.

If you aren't already upgraded (1 so far, 16 of 18 checked in), I'd put the points down.

David

Last edited by DELee; May 14, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Old May 14, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Looks like this is UA 2220 SFO-ORD on May 15th. Sadly, departs @ 12:45 am.
If this is the flight, the purchase seatmap shows the seats as E+, as is the norm for non-Premium Plus routes
As does the app seatmap, further suggesting
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My first inclination is to call this a glitch, ...
Old May 14, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ua2220 5/16

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.