FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United expands kosher options for US-Tel Aviv customers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2008636-united-expands-kosher-options-us-tel-aviv-customers.html)

sabbasolo Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am

United expands kosher options for US-Tel Aviv customers

United is taking Kosher cuisine to new heights by introducing a variety of new options for customers traveling between the U.S. and Tel Aviv, from the airline’s Newark/New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C./Dulles based hubs.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2020/0...viv-customers/

Also hot kosher meals in EWR Polaris lounge

WineCountryUA Feb 11, 2020 12:41 pm

The full press release direct from UA

More than a 'Nosh' - United Airlines Expands Kosher Culinary Choices for Customers Traveling Between the U.S. and Tel Aviv
New dining options feature revamped Kosher menu, including child's meal and wines
Photos(4)

NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2020
-- This month, United is taking Kosher cuisine to new heights by introducing a variety of new options for customers traveling between the U.S. and Tel Aviv, from the airline's Newark / New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. / Dulles based hubs. These exciting menu additions include popular choices from several leading Kosher food and beverage brands and reflects United's commitment to elevate the travel experience for our customers.

"We are thrilled to expand our already high-quality Kosher culinary choices to include new options we know our customers will love," said Charlean Gmunder, United's vice president of Catering Operations. "We know our customers and listen to their feedback and all of these new menu items – from savory new snacks to wonderful wines – are the result of our on-going efforts to exceed customer expectations. We will continue to embrace suggestions as well as seek out ways to create the best possible onboard dining experience for everyone we proudly serve."

Partnering with New Jersey-based fresh food provider Fresko, meals on the Newark to Tel Aviv flight will feature an entirely new menu. Options will include dishes such as fresh bagels, a cheese omelet, blintzes, chicken marsala, a kale quinoa burger and traditional bakery items like rugelach and black and white cookies.

As part of the introduction of these new dining options, United is also testing a menu offering for its youngest customers – a Kosher child's meal in all cabins between Tel Aviv, Newark and San Francisco. If the testing is successful, the airline will roll out the meal selection on additional Tel Aviv routes.

For those customers traveling in Polaris and United Premium Plus, additional dining enhancements can be found in the all Kosher snack choices for mid-flight enjoyment. The new offerings include Deep River Potato Chips, Cheez-It® crackers, Drizzilicious Cinnamon Swirl crisps, Madi K's Almonds and M&M'S®.

New beverage options will include Kosher wine provided by Royal Wine, another New Jersey-based company, which includes Herzog Lineage Cabernet Sauvignon and Herzog Lineage Sauvignon Blanc throughout the Polaris cabin. Additionally, building on the airline's partnership with Illy coffee, United is upgrading its Kosher coffee to provide both regular and decaf Illy coffee within all cabins over the next several months.

Part of the Kosher expansion includes the airport experience where United is testing the addition of a hot Kosher à la carte meal option in the Newark Polaris Lounge to complement the already featured Kosher wines. Additionally, at both the Polaris lounge and United Clubs in Newark and LaGuardia Airports the offerings will include Kosher packaged snacks upon request.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f97ddbc0d7.jpg
For images please visit: https://app.box.com/s/pp4w09s7mw8699n9zwj46thsdd6qllmp

riphamilton Feb 11, 2020 2:08 pm

the conway brand salad dressing that has been catered out of IAD contains non-kosher gelatin. it was included in my AVML multiple times.

i haven't flown a meal flight out of IAD in almost a year, so this may be old info.

goodeats21 Feb 11, 2020 2:36 pm

As part of the introduction of these new dining options, United is also testing a menu offering for its youngest customers – a Kosher child's meal in all cabins between Tel Aviv, Newark and San Francisco. If the testing is successful, the airline will roll out the meal selection on additional Tel Aviv routes
So I guess "additional Tel Aviv routes" would just mean IAD?

mduell Feb 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 32060325)
the conway brand salad dressing that has been catered out of IAD contains non-kosher gelatin. it was included in my AVML multiple times.

I assume the kosher meals are kosher, not any other random specialty meal on these routes.

saccoNY Feb 11, 2020 7:38 pm

It’s about time. Lol

ive been asking for kosher wine for years. I’m thrilled.

BlooJoo Feb 11, 2020 7:52 pm

So exciting to see more options for observant people!

ctownflyer Feb 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 32060431)
So I guess "additional Tel Aviv routes" would just mean IAD?

I broke down the new kosher offerings by route and got some other unpublished information on the kosher program on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...-united-clubs/

SS255 Feb 11, 2020 8:09 pm

איזה יופי!

saccoNY Nov 9, 2020 5:51 am

Can anyone confirm what the EWR-TLV kosher looks like these days?

saccoNY Nov 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Just flew UA 84 EWR-TLV in J.....quick meal report.....Kosher meal was served all courses at once per others.....no pre drink, no nuts. For main course. It was one option...take it or leave it. Main dish: Chicken Marsala with fingerling potatoes and broccoli. iceberg lettuce salad with a few plum tomatoes and a round chocolate, parve creme thing for dessert.....oh and a large roll. That's it:). No kosher wine :(. Breakfast was a scrambled egg plain omelet.....that's it. No fruit, nothing else...oh well.....the chicken was totally fine....pretty tasteless, but serviceable. Not sure there is any difference between the J and Y kosher meals....as it looked identical to ctownflyer's link above.

Ari Nov 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by saccoNY (Post 32819809)
Just flew UA 84 EWR-TLV in J.....quick meal report.....Kosher meal was served all courses at once per others.....no pre drink, no nuts. For main course. It was one option...take it or leave it. Main dish: Chicken Marsala with fingerling potatoes and broccoli. iceberg lettuce salad with a few plum tomatoes and a round chocolate, parve creme thing for dessert.....oh and a large roll. That's it:). No kosher wine :(. Breakfast was a scrambled egg plain omelet.....that's it. No fruit, nothing else...oh well.....the chicken was totally fine....pretty tasteless, but serviceable. Not sure there is any difference between the J and Y kosher meals....as it looked identical to ctownflyer's link above.

ctownflyer's link was the J meal, I believe . . . The Chicken Marsala in his photo says "UPP/UPB DINNER CHICKEN ENTREE" which I believe means United Premium Plus and United Polaris Business. I assume United Economy gets something more special ;).

Edit to add: Further review of the photos shows different labeling of the catering: "UPP/UPB ___ ENTREE" and "UPB ___ TRAY". Maybe they kept "UPP/UPB" catering and ditched the "UPB" only catering which included the wine? Otherwise known as a cutback to a premium cabin.

acr113 Nov 26, 2020 11:19 pm

I have flown RT 4 times since Covid TLV-EWR. In the beginning food was very limited. Small meals, no snacks, liquor, coffee, ice and breakfast was a joke, an egg with nothing. The food in Polaris has improved each time. My last flight , EWR-TLV on flight 84, November 24th, full good meals were served. Even a full breakfast. Still almost no snacks.

sabbasolo Jun 8, 2023 2:42 am

Any recent experiences on SFO-MEL KSML in Polaris?
and the return? Last time ex MEL food was atrocious

entropy Jun 8, 2023 4:45 am

If they're going to the trouble, they could do a lot better than the Herzog lineage for K Wine... yuck.