Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
The following purchases earn PQP:
  • Base fare + surcharge
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • *NEW* MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • *NEW* Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
  • *NEW* Flights ticketed and operated by our Star AllianceTM partners
PQPs for seat fees, upgrade fees / sticker-upgrades, co-pays, ... are posting separate from the flight PQPs and this seems to occur 1-2-3 days after the flight.
These separately posting extra PQPs are not RDM earning (as these fees did not in the past).

An alternative to Upgrade Fees that would earn RMDs is "Upfaring" -- this is a formal ticket change and not really possible to do online (due to change fee issues and UA system issues). You will need to call and specifically ask for an upfare. Change fees should be waived per "GG BUYUP" and then validate the receipt states "ADD/COLLECT" and not "Premium Cabin Upgrade / PCU" or "Merchandising / EDD". The new Fare class is not a significant indicator of what was done.
In the case of upfaring, the base fare will be adjusted and the new adjusted base fare will post as the PQP for the flight and fully earn RDMs.
Note: Upfaring agency issued tickets may be possible to do.

Related thread for prior to 2020 upgrade fees; Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T![/quote]

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Earning PQP for paid upgrades

I’d booked a TATL roundtrip in P+ for early 2020 and, after the new elite qualification rules were announced, I was offered an upgrade to Polaris which I took for the eastbound leg. The booking class for that leg changed from R to P after I purchased the upgrade. The forecast PQP accrual did not, however, change as I’d expected it to given that “paid upgrades” are listed as earning PQP. Should I be concerned that I won’t receive PQP for the cost of the upgrade? Or is this likely to correct itself in due course? I’ll almost certainly need the PQP in question to requalify as Gold in 2020.
dso likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Wombat1
I’d booked a TATL roundtrip in P+ for early 2020 and, after the new elite qualification rules were announced, I was offered an upgrade to Polaris which I took for the eastbound leg. The booking class for that leg changed from R to P after I purchased the upgrade. The forecast PQP accrual did not, however, change as I’d expected it to given that “paid upgrades” are listed as earning PQP. Should I be concerned that I won’t receive PQP for the cost of the upgrade? Or is this likely to correct itself in due course? I’ll almost certainly need the PQP in question to requalify as Gold in 2020.

Could be an IT error. You can check by booking a Dummy P fare in one direction and R in the other direction and see what the website shows as PQP earnings. UA has clarified that if the paid fare changes (with an upgrade), then the upgrade cost counts towards PQP.
Wombat1 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Could be an IT error. You can check by booking a Dummy P fare in one direction and R in the other direction and see what the website shows as PQP earnings. UA has clarified that if the paid fare changes (with an upgrade), then the upgrade cost counts towards PQP.
If it doesn't post as expected. You can email or call mileage plus to get the earnings corrected.
Wombat1 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would expect this to be messy at first. The fee-upgrade is still not going to change the coupon value of the ticket; presumably there will be a separate process which runs as part of processing credit which looks at the value of fees paid to upgrade.
jsloan and Wombat1 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
I had a long conversation several days ago with a 1K agent about a similar situation. I have several trips next year where I have already upgraded using miles and co-pays. However the estimated accruals do not show points for the co-pays. She confirmed that the amounts paid for upgrades will now be included in PQP, but the system has not yet been set up to show those points in the estimated earnings. Supposedly it will happen soon. But as suggested in a previous answer, it is best to keep an eye on this, and contact UNITED following the trip if the proper points are not credited to your account.
Wombat1 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Are the buy-ups on award tickets counted towards PQPs?
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Are the buy-ups on award tickets counted towards PQPs?
Are E+ purchases on award tickets counted toward PQDs? (Honest question: I don't know the answer). If I had to guess, I'd bet that those two questions have the same answer.
findark likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by benz37
But as suggested in a previous answer, it is best to keep an eye on this, and contact UNITED following the trip if the proper points are not credited to your account.
And not stress about whether they currently show on the reservation. These are issues best dealt with after the flight has posted.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I'd just like to add a data point to this thread.

I purchased a fee upgrade last year for a flight on January 2. The PQP for the upgrade fee posted without any customer service contact required, although it happened a day after the flight segment PQP posted.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
It does take about a day to show up, but interestingly, the entry does not say what flight it is associated with so multiple segments might require closer scrutiny. The sad thing is their systems probably cannot tell what flight that upgrade revenue is from which might be why it was never included in the past.

I am not sure what the "Fare class bonus miles" line is on account posting for the upgrade PQP (see below)....

The paid upgrade from my flight last night has not shown up yet, but the one from Wednesday did (backdated):

Last edited by droopydog; Jan 13, 2020 at 8:06 am Reason: added text on "fare class bonus miles"
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I wonder if the fare class bonus miles are reserved for partner flights.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
I wonder if the fare class bonus miles are reserved for partner flights.
You'll see fare class bonus miles whenever (a) the RDM calculation is based on distance and (b) the fare class earns more than 100%. So, partner flights on non-016 tickets, or UA bulk fares.

You'll never see a value there for the PQPs for an upgrade that you purchased. It's just boilerplate.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite

Hi all,

I thought I read somewhere that “buy-ups” from economy to Business-First would counts towards PQP for 2020? I paid $358 to “buy-up” from economy to business-first on a HNL-LAX flight the other day, but the dollars I spent for the buy-up doesn’t show in my PQP totals. Does it take a few days to credit?

Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It should credit within a day or two of completing the flight.
VRFast likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by findark
It should credit within a day or two of completing the flight.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this actually happening. I had one from 3 days ago and it still has not credited. Just want to see if anyone has actually ever received it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.