Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
The following purchases earn PQP:
  • Base fare + surcharge
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • *NEW* MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • *NEW* Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
  • *NEW* Flights ticketed and operated by our Star AllianceTM partners
PQPs for seat fees, upgrade fees / sticker-upgrades, co-pays, ... are posting separate from the flight PQPs and this seems to occur 1-2-3 days after the flight.
These separately posting extra PQPs are not RDM earning (as these fees did not in the past).

An alternative to Upgrade Fees that would earn RMDs is "Upfaring" -- this is a formal ticket change and not really possible to do online (due to change fee issues and UA system issues). You will need to call and specifically ask for an upfare. Change fees should be waived per "GG BUYUP" and then validate the receipt states "ADD/COLLECT" and not "Premium Cabin Upgrade / PCU" or "Merchandising / EDD". The new Fare class is not a significant indicator of what was done.
In the case of upfaring, the base fare will be adjusted and the new adjusted base fare will post as the PQP for the flight and fully earn RDMs.
Note: Upfaring agency issued tickets may be possible to do.

Related thread for prior to 2020 upgrade fees; Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T![/quote]

Print Wikipost

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 8:51 am

Paid upgrade counts as PQP and new fare class?

Hi,

I just paid to upgrade an upcoming EWR-ATH to Polaris. Will i get PQP for the upgrade cost along with new fare class PQM?
Old May 26, 2022, 9:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
... Will i get PQP for the upgrade cost along with new fare class PQM?
The upgrade fee PQPs will post a few days after the trip. Those PQPs will not earn RDMs / award miles. PQMs are not longer a elite metric. There are no class of fare bonus aspects to the UA program purely about fare & fees paid for UA operated flights.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, UA does not know about it , it does not change the fare and the revenue does not go thru UA
Been digging into this a bit and it does change the fare class on the ticket--does that have any positive effect if the ticket is being credited to United?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Been digging into this a bit and it does change the fare class on the ticket--does that have any positive effect if the ticket is being credited to United?
On a 016 ticket or not? as the crediting results are different.

For a UA flight or UA ticket, no change in earning. Upgrade fees paid to UA do earn PQPs.

The case it might have a impact is on a non-016 ticket on a partner flight and the partner reports a higher fare class -- results have been mixed on this. At times a partner more report the purchased fare class and other times the "new" fare class is reported. Did think there has been any data developed on FT to provide any guidance of when to expect which.
OssianBlue likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On a 016 ticket or not? as the crediting results are different.

For a UA flight or UA ticket, no change in earning. Upgrade fees paid to UA do earn PQPs.

The case it might have a impact is on a non-016 ticket on a partner flight and the partner reports a higher fare class -- results have been mixed on this. At times a partner more report the purchased fare class and other times the "new" fare class is reported. Did think there has been any data developed on FT to provide any guidance of when to expect which.
016 and fee paid to Lufthansa as fixed upgrade offer prior to travel.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
016 and fee paid to Lufthansa as fixed upgrade offer prior to travel.
UA will credit purchased fare (which it knows).
LH will not report the upgrade fee to UA and you get no PQPs for the upgrade fee (fare class change does not impact earning in 016 tickets).
OssianBlue likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, UA Gold
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the basic question, but will I earn PQP if I pay for a cash upgrade on an international award ticket?

Thanks in advance, and I did try searching (perhaps my search terms were off).
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by latte_fanatic
Sorry for the basic question, but will I earn PQP if I pay for a cash upgrade on an international award ticket?
Most of UA's buy-ups now earn PQP. Suggest you read and screenshot the T&C before purchase.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, UA Gold
Thanks, Kacee.

The terms & conditions don't say anything about PQP, only that Mileage Plus miles will be credited based on original purchased class of service.

Am I safe in assuming I will earn PQP, since there's no language suggesting I won't?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Earn pqd on upgrade?

Must be a thread on this, so please move

Did i just do something stupid? Paid 1500 for an upgrade on Europe to SFO flight. Booked in business class D fare, but does not show the spend under trip earnings. I bought it mainly to make my 1k spend. Did i just waste it?🤔
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA
If I remember correctly, you get PQPs but not miles for money spent on upgrades
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Must be a thread on this, so please move

Did i just do something stupid? Paid 1500 for an upgrade on Europe to SFO flight. Booked in business class D fare, but does not show the spend under trip earnings. I bought it mainly to make my 1k spend. Did i just waste it?🤔
Does it show earlier in your account? Or maybe later?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IME then PQD will post separately, after the flight. You won't see a change to the accruals in the reservation, because you didn't change the fare.

I thought this exact question was already addressed?

ETA: Yes, here: UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 20, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
IME then PQD will post separately, after the flight. You won't see a change to the accruals in the reservation, because you didn't change the fare.

I thought this exact question was already addressed?
That's what I'm hoping. I haven't flown yet but it does not show in the future accruals when i select that in the reservation. I'm not worried about the miles, I'm seeking the dollars toward my spend..
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by latte_fanatic
The terms & conditions don't say anything about PQP, only that Mileage Plus miles will be credited based on original purchased class of service.

Am I safe in assuming I will earn PQP, since there's no language suggesting I won't?
If the T&C don't say anything about earning PQP, and it's an award ticket, I would assume I would earn zero and make my decision accordingly.

When I've purchased these recently on revenue tix, the T&C say you'll earn PQP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.