Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
The following purchases earn PQP:
  • Base fare + surcharge
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • *NEW* MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • *NEW* Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
  • *NEW* Flights ticketed and operated by our Star AllianceTM partners
PQPs for seat fees, upgrade fees / sticker-upgrades, co-pays, ... are posting separate from the flight PQPs and this seems to occur 1-2-3 days after the flight.
These separately posting extra PQPs are not RDM earning (as these fees did not in the past).

An alternative to Upgrade Fees that would earn RMDs is "Upfaring" -- this is a formal ticket change and not really possible to do online (due to change fee issues and UA system issues). You will need to call and specifically ask for an upfare. Change fees should be waived per "GG BUYUP" and then validate the receipt states "ADD/COLLECT" and not "Premium Cabin Upgrade / PCU" or "Merchandising / EDD". The new Fare class is not a significant indicator of what was done.
In the case of upfaring, the base fare will be adjusted and the new adjusted base fare will post as the PQP for the flight and fully earn RDMs.
Note: Upfaring agency issued tickets may be possible to do.

Related thread for prior to 2020 upgrade fees; Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T![/quote]

Print Wikipost

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Figured I'd add a 2020 data point. I bought an economy ticket (Q) through Concur, and then immediately used the United website to buy the upgrade (via the Reservations page "upgrade flight" link - not the pop-up directly after booking on .com, because I booked through Concur).

This generated a "Receipt for Ancillary Purchase with United" email for a "Premium Cabin Upgrade" and sent a second United eTicket itinerary that reflected that I was now booked in Z, and underneath the original eTicket number was "Premium Cabin Upgrade" with a second eTicket number.

The MP accrual information in the email updated to reflect PQP based on the total cost of the ticket, but the award miles remained the same.

In my MP Activity screen, when the flight posted, it showed the normal (economy) accruals for miles and PQP. Later a second entry, "Day of departure upgrade" was added that added the additional PQP, but no additional award miles.

This was super annoying, because I would've had an additional 12,000 award miles if it'd been booked in Z the whole time (but my job doesn't let me do that). It also is inconsistent with an experience I had last year, where buying up to P/Z resulted in award miles on the entire ticket amount. But... I don't recall in that circumstance if I called in to ask them to pay up to P/Z, or if I did it on the website. I'm betting I called. Accordingly, I'll call the next time I do this and hopefully it'll result in PQP *and* award miles being based on the upgrade.

Customer service, as you can imagine, has been useless:
  • called the premier line, they said to use missing miles form, did so, it was instantly rejected b/c flight was already credited
  • called the premier line, they said it's never been the policy to credit award miles based on full upgraded ticket cost; I pointed out they'd done this just last year on a ticket, they said to email mileageplus
  • emailed mileageplus, they said the same thing, and when I said the bit about last year, they said to call premier line
  • called premier line, they yammered on and on about status qualification no matter how many times I said that was irrelevant, they eventually said to email screenshots to mileageplus
  • emailed screenshots to mileageplus, they went radio silent; will update when I heard back

edit 3/7: after sending screenshots, got a nice email apologizing for the confusion and awarding the missing miles. Next time I'll try upgrading by phone instead and see if it makes a difference up front.

Last edited by adcer; Mar 7, 2020 at 9:20 am
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by adcer
  • called the premier line, they said it's never been the policy to credit award miles based on full upgraded ticket cost
This was my understanding and has always been my experience. To push for something you're not entitled to by clear policy (but perhaps received as a one-time exception or error) screams DYKWIA and I believe you are pressing your luck here!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
This was my understanding and has always been my experience. To push for something you're not entitled to by clear policy (but perhaps received as a one-time exception or error) screams DYKWIA and I believe you are pressing your luck here!
I don't really think calmly asking why this experience doesn't match that experience esp considering the UAInsider post in the wiki highlighting their awareness of inconsistent behavior that they're aiming to resolve is particularly over the top. (I also am not really staying awake at night worrying if a massive international corporation really, really loves me.)
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In the past, unless you did a true upfare, there were no RDMs for "upgrade fees." The key issue is "upfare" vs "Upgrade fee." Note the fare class you end up in does not tell which was done and you need to look at the receipt for the term "add/collect" which is "upfare" vs terms like "Premium Cabin Upgrade - PCU" which are an "upgrade fee." Nowadays the standard offers are mostly "Upgrade fees", you need to specifically request and do an upfare if that is what is wanted.
jsloan, adcer and SAPriorityTag like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the past, unless you did a true upfare, there were no RDMs for "upgrade fees." The key issue is "upfare" vs "Upgrade fee." Note the fare class you end up in does not tell which was done and you need to look at the receipt for the term "add/collect" which is "upfare" vs terms like "Premium Cabin Upgrade - PCU" which are an "upgrade fee." Nowadays the standard offers are mostly "Upgrade fees", you need to specifically request and do an upfare if that is what is wanted.
And note that these days the odds of upfaring (changing) an agency ticket with any manner of consistency on multiple trips are basically zero.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by adcer
I don't really think calmly asking why this experience doesn't match that experience esp considering the UAInsider post in the wiki highlighting their awareness of inconsistent behavior that they're aiming to resolve is particularly over the top.
I would agree - I don't think politely asking is beyond reason. However, I would caution you attracting unnecessary attention to your M+ account especially if the error deposit (from which you benefited) was recent. Speaking from personal experience I have no doubt UA would yank those miles back in a heartbeat. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Bonus PQPs for upgrades and individual E+ seat access take 2-3 days after the flight to post. I would give it more time.
Its been 2 weeks and still hasn't posted. I emailed United MP so hopefully it gets resolved.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I would agree - I don't think politely asking is beyond reason. However, I would caution you attracting unnecessary attention to your M+ account especially if the error deposit (from which you benefited) was recent. Speaking from personal experience I have no doubt UA would yank those miles back in a heartbeat. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Sorry to hear that. In my experience when they've made an error in my favor - even a large one - that they acknowledge was an error they won't repeat, they leave the original error untouched.

Happily here: got a nice note today apologizing for the confusion and awarding the miles, which I appreciated. Will edit post.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Effect of TOD UG on PP and RDM Calculations

Curious as to how PP and RDM calculations are affected by TOD UGs.

For example, for a 1K flight segment with PP =175 and RDM = 1,925 which is TOD Upgraded for 189 shouldn't PP = 175 + 189 = 364 and RDM = 4,004?

Also why doesn't UA reflect a changed eticket receipt when TOD UG has been applied?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by YRKInsider
Curious as to how PP and RDM calculations are affected by TOD UGs.

For example, for a 1K flight segment with PP =175 and RDM = 1,925 which is TOD Upgraded for 189 shouldn't PP = 175 + 189 = 364 and RDM = 4,004?

Also why doesn't UA reflect a changed eticket receipt when TOD UG has been applied?
TODs don’t change the underlying fare; so, United has not increased the number of miles earned when purchasing them. United processes the TODs as an adjustment to PQP, added a day or two after the segment posts, to the MP account. Delta posts them the same way.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't have personal knowledge of it, but there have been several board reports that it has shown up as a separate line item 24-48 hours after the flight. If it's still not there after a week, I'd write or call.

This is good reminder, though, that anyone who takes a buy-up and cares about PQP needs to track it separately in case it doesn't appear.
I have personal knowledge of this happening 2 days after completion of flight. Completed flight last Saturday night, saw the credit on Monday (today), two days. Initially a G fare, TOD to P fare.

Last edited by VRFast; Mar 9, 2020 at 7:47 pm Reason: Added info.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Its been 2 weeks and still hasn't posted. I emailed United MP so hopefully it gets resolved.
Follow up on this- I got a response to the email with the PQP posted to my account within 48 hours.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by mpw81
This is what it looks like. Separate line item in activity. THe mileageplus upgrade description was also it's own line item with "MileagePlus Upgrade Award - PQP"

Just to confirm- upgrade cost on this was $179, so 1 point for each dollar spent?

With a last minute business trip I'm going to be 75 points shy of Gold this year.

Deciding if I should pay $174 for 100 PQP's on award accelerator or $69x2 for first class upgrades on that short flight.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Correct. $179 upgrade ORD-DEN.

Last flight I took, ugh... that's depressing. Had to use the "forgot my password" function for probably the first time in my life.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by mpw81
Correct. $179 upgrade ORD-DEN.

Last flight I took, ugh... that's depressing. Had to use the "forgot my password" function for probably the first time in my life.
Thanks.
Just realized I need one more segment, so I'll be taking a flight to DFW and back instead to hit the requirement. Costs about the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.