Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
The following purchases earn PQP:
  • Base fare + surcharge
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • *NEW* MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • *NEW* Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
  • *NEW* Flights ticketed and operated by our Star AllianceTM partners
PQPs for seat fees, upgrade fees / sticker-upgrades, co-pays, ... are posting separate from the flight PQPs and this seems to occur 1-2-3 days after the flight.
These separately posting extra PQPs are not RDM earning (as these fees did not in the past).

An alternative to Upgrade Fees that would earn RMDs is "Upfaring" -- this is a formal ticket change and not really possible to do online (due to change fee issues and UA system issues). You will need to call and specifically ask for an upfare. Change fees should be waived per "GG BUYUP" and then validate the receipt states "ADD/COLLECT" and not "Premium Cabin Upgrade / PCU" or "Merchandising / EDD". The new Fare class is not a significant indicator of what was done.
In the case of upfaring, the base fare will be adjusted and the new adjusted base fare will post as the PQP for the flight and fully earn RDMs.
Note: Upfaring agency issued tickets may be possible to do.

Related thread for prior to 2020 upgrade fees; Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T![/quote]

Print Wikipost

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No RDMs for the upgrade fees
thanks! Saved me an email lol
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:13 pm

How long does it day for a Miles + Copay amount that I triggered when checking in to be reflected in your PQPs? Flight posted but showed the original PQP amount. Is it a separate line item that comes later?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nygiants242
How long does it day for a Miles + Copay amount that I triggered when checking in to be reflected in your PQPs? Flight posted but showed the original PQP amount. Is it a separate line item that comes later?
A couple of days and is a separate line
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by angetenar
This is how it will post:

Is it a dollar per dollar ratio? So you spend $300 and you receive 300 pqp?
That would be outstanding if true. Only way I have seen that kind of pay out is booking Z class on an international flight.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
Is it a dollar per dollar ratio? So you spend $300 and you receive 300 pqp?
That would be outstanding if true. Only way I have seen that kind of pay out is booking Z class on an international flight.
Yes, $1 spent on cash upgrade = 1 PQP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 5:28 am

Miles earning on upgraded ticket

Hey, I purchased a flight ticket one-way from FLL to EWR in Economy with miles + 5$, and upgraded to First for 199$ - do I earn any miles and/or PQP for the upgrade part? I know for the initial purchase with the miles I don't, but shouldn't I earn something for the upgrade that was paid with cash?

Also another unrelated question - I'm Premier Silver, if I purchased this ticket in Economy, could I somehow request a complimentary MP upgrade to First? How does that work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xph11
Hey, I purchased a flight ticket one-way from FLL to EWR in Economy with miles + 5$, and upgraded to First for 199$ - do I earn any miles and/or PQP for the upgrade part? I know for the initial purchase with the miles I don't, but shouldn't I earn something for the upgrade that was paid with cash?
What did the T&C say when you purchased the upgrade?

Normally, purchased upgrades earn PQP but not RDM (redeemable miles).
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xph11
Also another unrelated question - I'm Premier Silver, if I purchased this ticket in Economy, could I somehow request a complimentary MP upgrade to First? How does that work?
Award tickets are only eligible for complimentary upgrades if you hold a qualifying United-branded Chase credit card. In that case, you’d have been added to the upgrade list automatically; no request needed. Premier Silver upgrades do not clear very often.
SPN Lifer and xph11 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
Hi all;
Not sure if you can help me... Here is the question :

Just booked a San Fran to Sydney... at first, I just booked premium economy for about $4500, then, realized it was 15h flying (forgot about that) and so, ticket was issued.
when booked premium economy, I was seeing that the ticket was about 48,070 miles, 2 PQF AND 437O PQP.

Then, I went to upgrade section and saw I could put Pluspoint (30) per segment. Odd considering Tahiti is 80 PP and Tahiti is only 12 h flying... Anyway, I decided to actually book the Polaris and upgraded 4 min after booking the flight ticket and paid another 5k total for roundtrip or about 10k roundtrip. The original ticket was 10k. I got it at let's say $9.8k (or probably $300 cheaper than originally stated).

Now, my PQP for the ticket remains always the same. I Called GS and they told me they are a bit clueless in that.. because it was bought as an upgrade... and so, the miles would reflect after the travel is completed or up to 3 weeks after trip is done... that response gave me more of a scratching head than anything else.... price is basically the same... so, not sure why they don't consider it as a ticket bought....

Has anyone of you got this before? Will I get more miles and pqp? Thanks

Last edited by cbono; Jan 28, 2023 at 4:08 pm Reason: syntax errors
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cbono
Hi all;

Just booked a San Fran to Sydney... at first, I just booked premium economy for about $4500, then, realized it was 15h flying (forgot about that) and so, ticket was issued.
when booked premium economy, I was seeing that the ticket was about 48,070 miles, 2 PQF AND 437O PQP.

Then, I went to upgrade section and saw I could put Pluspoint (30) per segment. Odd considering Tahiti is 80 PP and Tahiti is only 12 h flying... Anyway, I decided to actually book the Polaris and upgraded 4 min after booking the flight ticket and paid another 5k total for roundtrip or about 10k roundtrip. The original ticket was 10k. I got it at let's say $9.8k (or probably $300 cheaper than originally stated).

Now, my PQP for the ticket remains always the same. I Called GS and they told me they are a bit clueless in that.. because it was bought as an upgrade... and so, the miles would reflect after the travel is completed or up to 3 weeks after trip is done... that response gave me more of a scratching head than anything else.... price is basically the same... so, not sure why they don't consider it as a ticket bought....

I think I understand.

You purchased SFO-SYD in PemPlus / Prem Economy, you then took a cash upgrade (not a refare) to Polaris. And you are wondering why the flight PQPs are unchanged,
That is correct.

But post flight you will receive PQPs for the upgrade fee (but no RDMs). The upgrade fee PQPs will not show on your itinerary and will post separately a few days after the flight.
The agents were 100% correct, and definitely no clueless.

Additionally, you should be aware that if you cancel the flight your upgrade fee will not be refunded / credited for a future flight the upgrade fee, it will be forfeited. This is fully disclosed in the T&Cs presented at upgrading. Sometime if you are rebooking for a new date, you can get a credit toward the upgrade fee on the new flight but not always.

On the PlusPoints for upgrades, it takes fewer PlusPoints from PremPlus to upgrade to Polaris. the normal PlusPoints from W or higher fare is 40 PlusPoints and for deep discount it is 80 PlusPoints.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2023 at 4:41 pm Reason: PlusPoints question
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Hi all;

First, wrong thread.

Second, different class cabin requires different PQP for upgrade - e.g. deep discount INTL economy to business (80PP), other economy ticket to business (40PP), premium economy (premium plus) to business (30PP), has nothing to do with Tahiti or Sydney.

Third, it sounds like you took an upgraded offer (TOD) rather than upfared. Additional PQP for both would post to your account only after flight completion. TOD your underlying fare is still the same (generally); while upfaring updates the fare bucket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
First, wrong thread.

Second, different class cabin requires different PQP for upgrade - e.g. deep discount INTL economy to business (80PP), other economy ticket to business (40PP), premium economy (premium plus) to business (30PP), has nothing to do with Tahiti or Sydney.

Third, it sounds like you took an upgraded offer (TOD) rather than upfared. Additional PQP for both would post to your account only after flight completion. TOD your underlying fare is still the same (generally); while upfaring updates the fare bucket.
Thanks for the reply and for adding it to the right section. I am not an admin after all, am I? I am not well versed on how to use this site, though I am here for few years now. But the tone...gee.

Second, I am with you in regards to different class cabin PQP... again, a bit condescending comments I feel... but let's go over that one too... I feel everyone understand that there are different class and different points, you don't become UA Global services without knowing the basic on how it works. I know that each class gives you various PQP level as well as based on status too, you get xtra points. The point I want to make is this : At 7 pm I bought a $4500 ticket and at 7.06 pm, the ticket turned to $9.9k total. Full fare is just $300 difference. My guess is that I should have simply cancelled the ticket all together and then buy again full fare... but, the point of this, is as follow: There is just a $300 difference and I did get the Polaris, so, as to why it stay as if I basically only bought a $4500 ticket with an upgrade coming only with $300 difference should be adjusted... in the end, it still is Polaris... it's not like I got the seat for free. I would get it if I buy a ticket 4500 and upgrade same day for $800 as it often happens (or used to I should say)... but it's so close to the full fare portion,.. that's why it's a bit odd.

Third, you are correct, the way to correct it is that I bought Upgrade offer , not sure what the (TOD) stands for lol...Funny enough, the PP request was only 30 one way. Glad to hear that additional PQP will go to the account only after completion.... overall, I just found it odd on how the system works.

But for as long as I get the better PQP I am good! Thanks again. ***The only sad part is that I won't even know how much I will get till It posts...***

Last edited by cbono; Jan 29, 2023 at 8:41 pm Reason: forgot to mention pqp total
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:45 pm

So, if I upgrade by $4500, I am not getting any miles for it?? because I did... bought ticket at 7 pm and upgraded at 7.06 pm and basically got close to (by $300) difference from full fare.... if so, why they don't tell you to simply cancel and get a full fare instead? That's odd.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Thanks for the reply and for adding it to the right section. I am not an admin after all, am I? I am not well versed on how to use this site, though I am here for few years now. But the tone...gee.

Second, I am with you in regards to different class cabin PQP... again, a bit condescending comments I feel... but let's go over that one too... I feel everyone understand that there are different class and different points, you don't become UA Global services without knowing the basic on how it works. I know that each class gives you various PQP level as well as based on status too, you get xtra points. The point I want to make is this : At 7 pm I bought a $4500 ticket and at 7.06 pm, the ticket turned to $9.9k total. Full fare is just $300 difference. My guess is that I should have simply cancelled the ticket all together and then buy again full fare... but, the point of this, is as follow: There is just a $300 difference and I did get the Polaris, so, as to why it stay as if I basically only bought a $4500 ticket with an upgrade coming only with $300 difference should be adjusted... in the end, it still is Polaris... it's not like I got the seat for free. I would get it if I buy a ticket 4500 and upgrade same day for $800 as it often happens (or used to I should say)... but it's so close to the full fare portion,.. that's why it's a bit odd.

Third, you are correct, the way to correct it is that I bought Upgrade offer , not sure what the (TOD) stands for lol...Funny enough, the PP request was only 30 one way. Glad to hear that additional PQP will go to the account only after completion.... overall, I just found it odd on how the system works.

But for as long as I get the better PQP I am good! Thanks again. ***The only sad part is that I won't even know how much I will get till It posts...***
Thanks for the additional context. Fare went up to a higher price between 7pm and 706pm likely due to inventory for a lower fare bucket fully sold.

With regards to PQP, assuming you fly the itinerary as is, your PQP earning should be the fare you paid less taxes/fees, plus the upgrade offer.

There are two main differences between TOD (upgrade offer) and upfaring:

1) upgrade offer = PQP earning only; no miles. Upfaring provides you with the incremental PQP (over the base fare), plus corresponding miles.
2) voluntary change - your upgrade offer generally does not transfer, and it would be forfeited, which is upthread, you would only earn PQP via upgrade offer upon having completed the designated flight.
cbono likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:13 pm

Great! Thanks so much for the info! truly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.