Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Repeated waves of passengers wanting to abandon delayed flight ---> crew time-out

Repeated waves of passengers wanting to abandon delayed flight ---> crew time-out

Old Feb 7, 20, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Must have been absolutely maddening. People are just ignorant and self absorbed sometimes. Looks like you guys made it in almost 9 hrs late, but at least you got there (small consolation).

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL999
So flight was actually/techinically not cxld after all as per title; still a major delay though!

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
shabat shalom
makes sense now.
Still trying to understand .... (certain) members of Jewish faith are prohibited to travel on Sabbath/other religious days ?
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott LT Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I have actually been in this situation, although did not volunteer to get off. Had a connection and was most likely going to miss it. About the 2nd or 3rd time of people wanting to get off, the gate agent pro-actively re-routed me through another location to get me to my destination. I got some nasty comments as I de-planed even though it was not my choice.
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
In this world today I highly doubt they do.

i wish they did. I lost an entire day of business, another person had to have his parents drive 400km to pick up his kid from school, another group of kids were on a trip to build a school in Africa and missed the flight for the next day at lest.

the entire flight was highly inconvenienced.

the flight landed well before sunset even with the additional 2.5 hour delay due to the crew timing out for this.
Not to mention the return UA 998 BRU-EWR for 7 Feb was actually completely cancelled. So another few hundred pax had their travel back to the US ruined as well.
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Still trying to understand .... (certain) members of Jewish faith are prohibited to travel on Sabbath/other religious days ?
Orthodox Jews don't generally travel on the Sabbath, which starts at sunset on Friday and ends at sunset on Saturday. The specific rules depend on the sect. The men wearing black hats and black suits are members of various extremely observant sects.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
So flight was actually/techinically not cxld after all as per title; still a major delay though!
See my signature below.

They are not allowed to use electrical devices, which includes an airplane.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:24 pm

so you exit a plane to avoid using electricity. but then you are inside an airport / taxi to get home.

but better to inconvenience the rest of the plane

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 7, 20 at 4:32 pm Reason: FT is not a place for belittling the beliefs of others
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
so you exit a plane to avoid using electricity. but then you are inside an airport / taxi to get home.

but better to inconvenience the rest of the plane
I suspect they were worried about when the plane would land, not the current time.
mctaste likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 7, 20 at 4:33 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edits
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Not to mention the return UA 998 BRU-EWR for 7 Feb was actually completely cancelled. So another few hundred pax had their travel back to the US ruined as well.
This is precisely why the who Dao dragging incident bothered me. One person decided he was more important than everyone else on that plane plus several flights later. And following that, UA changing policies probably affected all of us with higher fares to implement less overselling, etc.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I suspect they were worried about when the plane would land, not the current time.
Seems one thing they weren’t worried about at all were the hundreds of other passengers. Very selfish. I would have been livid if I was on that flight.
IndyHoosier and mctaste like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Seems one thing they weren’t worried about at all were the hundreds of other passengers. Very selfish. I would have been livid if I was on that flight.
I agree, because the situation couldn't possibly have changed that much between the pilot's "last call to deplane" and the third wave of passengers. I was just pointing out that the concern wasn't about the current time, but rather the arrival time at their destination.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
This is precisely why the who Dao dragging incident bothered me. One person decided he was more important than everyone else on that plane plus several flights later. And following that, UA changing policies probably affected all of us with higher fares to implement less overselling, etc.
So who was the one who decided he does not matter? I guess you decided your fares are more important than someone else's dignity and health?
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
“religious reasons”
Oy vey
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
So does any form of EC261 compensation come into play since this flight was 8 hrs late? How about for those on the completely cancelled UA 998 return?
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
Generally speaking, it's okay to be in a building where electric devices are operating as long as you don't turn them on or off. A taxi is a form of transportation and, as such, forbidden.

Sabbath rules are extremely complicated and probably better discussed elsewhere.
SS255 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does any form of EC261 compensation come into play since this flight was 8 hrs late? How about for those on the completely cancelled UA 998 return?
No EC.261 comp on US-EU operated by a non-EC carrier.

The return would be eligible unless UA could show the reason for the delay was extraordinary.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: