Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Repeated waves of passengers wanting to abandon delayed flight ---> crew time-out

Repeated waves of passengers wanting to abandon delayed flight ---> crew time-out

Old Feb 7, 20, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
This sounds like the opening scene of Final Destination.
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
“religious reasons”
shabat shalom

makes sense now.
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
shabat shalom

makes sense now.
If their time constraints were so tight that they had to leave half an hour later, they should have left when the pilot said it was the last opportunity to do so without impacting everyone else. What if they'd ended up with an unexpectedly long taxi, got stuck in a holding pattern when landing at BRU, etc.?
riphamilton and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
At some point can't you just say NO?
Do you really want to confine yourself in a metal tube with some religious hardliners potentially going to commence operation freak out? Crew doesn't either.
Old Feb 7, 20, 12:05 pm

Programs: Watergate
So in that situation, I wounder if the airline has the spine to pursue any damages for the wasted crew and cost of rebooking everyone.

If not, it sounds like a really great way to intentionally inconvenience a bunch of people in order to protest something.
jp12687 and leoo like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardNixon View Post
So in that situation, I wounder if the airline has the spine to pursue any damages for the wasted crew and cost of rebooking everyone.

If not, it sounds like a really great way to intentionally inconvenience a bunch of people in order to protest something.
In this world today I highly doubt they do.

i wish they did. I lost an entire day of business, another person had to have his parents drive 400km to pick up his kid from school, another group of kids were on a trip to build a school in Africa and missed the flight for the next day at lest.

the entire flight was highly inconvenienced.

the flight landed well before sunset even with the additional 2.5 hour delay due to the crew timing out for this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Reminds me of a domestic flight several years back on 9/11. The person in front of me boarded quite early and even had the FA help him with his musical instrument into the overhead. Just before closing the door, he goes up the the FA and demands to be let off the plane because he is suddenly uncomfortable flying on 9/11. We wait 30min for them to find his bag only to find out that he is done this exact thing "several" times that day and his bag is already at the destination.

Unfortunately, there is little the airline can do about this type of situation and just has to accept this as a part of doing business. Luckily it is very rare.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K
Had this happen last year. To make it worse, after second group deplaned we were detained at gate so they could refuel the plane. I hate it when passengers have the ability to hold others hostage on mere whim.
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by findark View Post
At some point can't you just say NO?
Then they might really freak out in the air.

What made them all want to get off?

Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
so during the delay the captain actually had me come up to talk to him. Apparently until the parking break is released you have to let people off cause you can’t “Keep them hostage”

I get that. But the 3rd set of passengers was just too much. People were actually screaming at them as they got off the plane. It was wild.

to their credit the crew (all 3 sets) were super professional. There’s nothing they can do about super selfish passengers.

the best part was in the 3rd set one of the passengers telling me “united cost me 4 nights of hotel”

I looked him dead in the eye and said “you caused that. You could still go”
Why would the captain call you up ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 7, 20 at 3:53 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
What made them all want to get off?
It was stated above as a "religious reason"??? Not sure what that could possibly be, it sounds like just poor excuse to me. What a mess.....
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Why would the captain call you up ?
pretty sure cause I was the only GS on the plane and was visibility upset about this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
It was stated above as a "religious reason"??? Not sure what that could possibly be, it sounds like just poor excuse to me.
I suspect it was a legitimate concern that they would not reach their destination by the start of the Sabbath.

I just think they should have considered that half an hour earlier when the captain said "last chance to deplane."
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I suspect it was a legitimate concern that they would not reach their destination by the start of the Sabbath.

I just think they should have considered that half an hour earlier when the captain said "last chance to deplane."
This-- they should have made that decision way sooner then the doors being closed. They boarded the plane VERY quickly in about 25min and got the door closed. They should have never gotten on the plane at that point if it was that close.
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post

Agree, or at least all in mass. Also, and a bit off topic, but I thought you could sit in a vehicle/plane/bus as long as you are not operating it. When we were kids my Jewish buddies back in Cleveland always had an angle on this

Last edited by nomad420; Feb 7, 20 at 2:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Agree, or at least all in mass. Also, and a bit off topic, but I thought you site in a vehicle/plane/bus as long as you are not operating it. When we were kids my Jewish buddies back in Cleveland always had an angle on this
depends. A lot of the more orthodox view that differently (for the record I am also Jewish)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: