Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy + "Free Upgrade"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Economy + "Free Upgrade"

I have never seen this happen before, but I booked my girlfriend on a redeye SAN-IAD next week, and requested a MUA for her. Anyways, she received an email today saying that they have given her a free upgrade to Econ +. She is still waitlisted for First Class. Has anyone seen this before?
emcampbe likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
I have never seen this happen before, but I booked my girlfriend on a redeye SAN-IAD next week, and requested a MUA for her. Anyways, she received an email today saying that they have given her a free upgrade to Econ +. She is still waitlisted for First Class. Has anyone seen this before?
Yeah, I've seen it a few times. Usually when they anticipate an E- oversell, they'll proactively pick people to give free E+ to such as high fare classes or waitlisted upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Interesting. In the same light, I was able to choose E+ seats from award Y, with no fee paid. I have no status. This was on the return long haul from SYD and a domestic leg as well. No clue as to how it happened.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Silver here, and yes, I’ve seen this once. Was CVG-SFO (R.I.P.) in October. Got this about a week prior to flight. And Yes, I took advantage. E+ was practically empty...don’t remember how full E- looked - always hard to know these days as with many flying in BE, could look not super full, yet it could still be.

I was actually a little surprised not to see this on CVG-DEN in December. We booked fairly last minute - about a week prior to departure, and there were 3 of us - there weren’t any 3 seats together in E-, or even relatively close. I didn’t select seats, and didn’t even get auto-assigned to any, presumably due to there not being any together (my impression is UA.com will usually select seats automatically if you don’t). A couple of days prior to flight, we were all assigned in something like row 25, which I believe appeared to be occupied prior, but I’m pretty sure were actually just blocked. Was able to select seats in E+ at T-24 without a problem - even 3 together in a row. So not sure what the algorithm was showing, but I thought that for sure would have gotten the E+ invite. Obviously, in the end didn’t matter, but part of me still is curious as to why.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Silver here, and yes, I’ve seen this once. Was CVG-SFO (R.I.P.) in October. Got this about a week prior to flight. And Yes, I took advantage. E+ was practically empty...don’t remember how full E- looked - always hard to know these days as with many flying in BE, could look not super full, yet it could still be.

I was actually a little surprised not to see this on CVG-DEN in December. We booked fairly last minute - about a week prior to departure, and there were 3 of us - there weren’t any 3 seats together in E-, or even relatively close. I didn’t select seats, and didn’t even get auto-assigned to any, presumably due to there not being any together (my impression is UA.com will usually select seats automatically if you don’t). A couple of days prior to flight, we were all assigned in something like row 25, which I believe appeared to be occupied prior, but I’m pretty sure were actually just blocked. Was able to select seats in E+ at T-24 without a problem - even 3 together in a row. So not sure what the algorithm was showing, but I thought that for sure would have gotten the E+ invite. Obviously, in the end didn’t matter, but part of me still is curious as to why.
makes perfect sense to give E+ in advance to premiers, premiers on basic economy tickets, and folks waitlisted for upgrades in the event of an oversold economy (rather than giving it to non-premiers who book basic economy and therefore get an E+ seat at the last minute!).
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
This actually happened to me two weeks ago on a sfo-ewr flight, flying on a cheap economy (not basic economy). I don’t have status either. I decided against taking the free offer since all the seats available were middle seats, so perhaps that had something to do with it.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ARR72
This actually happened to me two weeks ago on a sfo-ewr flight, flying on a cheap economy (not basic economy). I don’t have status either. I decided against taking the free offer since all the seats available were middle seats, so perhaps that had something to do with it.
E+ transcon gives a free hot meal!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bmw303
E+ transcon gives a free hot meal!
and alcoholic beverages (if you partake) and a Kind bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.