FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA COVID19: 2020 MileagePlus Awards / Partner Awards / Upgrade Inventory, Deals, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2007607-ua-covid19-2020-mileageplus-awards-partner-awards-upgrade-inventory-deals-etc.html)

A321neo Feb 4, 2020 9:57 pm

UA COVID19: 2020 MileagePlus Awards / Partner Awards / Upgrade Inventory, Deals, etc.

Are there any great partner J fares to be had on UA partners to asia in the wake of CORONAVIRUS?

narvik Feb 4, 2020 10:03 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32033664-post412.html

"United.com also says that they have suspended award tickets on partners for travel between China and the US."

WineCountryUA Feb 4, 2020 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by A321neo (Post 32034046)
Are there any great partner J awards ....

As mentioned China awards have been removed plus partner awards are not dynamic (yet), so do not expect to see any "award" deals to Asia -- standard partner mileage.

cesco.g Feb 4, 2020 10:28 pm

Whilst China is out, other Asian destinations might also suffer from reduced demand resulting in interesting award offers.

narvik Feb 4, 2020 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 32034130)
...other Asian destinations per OP might also suffer from reduced demand resulting in interesting award offers.

Are they though? As WineCountryUA mentioned, the partner awards aren't dynamic, so best you'll find is Saver availability.

Kacee Feb 4, 2020 10:36 pm

If by "deals" you mean partner J TPAC, yes, I'm seeing some of that. Specifically, BR next week.

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 32034138)
Are they though? As WineCountryUA mentioned, the partner awards aren't dynamic, so best you'll find is Saver availability.

And now they are. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32034150-post1389.html

Definitely not a bargain though.

narvik Feb 4, 2020 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32034159)
If by "deals" you mean partner J TPAC, yes, I'm seeing some of that. Specifically, BR next week.

And now they are. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32034150-post1389.html

Definitely not a bargain though.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

username Feb 5, 2020 12:06 am

I would say given the uncertainties right now, don't travel because you see a deal / availability. The last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere.

EuropeanPete Feb 5, 2020 12:30 am

This is the most FlyerTalk post I have seen in some time.

Mama Feb 5, 2020 2:24 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 32034359)
I would say given the uncertainties right now, don't travel because you see a deal / availability. The last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere.

Yes, I would say avoid Asia routes, but EU routes and central/South America routes should be ok.

LondonElite Feb 5, 2020 2:54 am

Originally Posted by A321neo (Post 32034046)
Are there any great partner J awards to be had on UA partners to asia in the wake of CORONAVIRUS?

This would be looking on the bright side of Corona virus, right?

SFO_LOW_CLOUDS Feb 5, 2020 3:40 am

I got some great J award deals on Eva next week.

SunLover Feb 5, 2020 6:14 am

IMO increased close in availability at saver levels, but I doubt there will be decreases in mileage payment requirements.

SL

whitethunder Feb 5, 2020 7:16 am

What a great title and love the idea

The best I got was a 90k per person on YYZ-AMS-IST-HKT one way in J a few days ago ( for a date in early March) to Phuket. No J available at saver levels on a return though so had to book Y for 40K.

I'm hoping someone can find a nice mileage deal maybe I can get a full trip in J to somewhere far away and hot for 260,000 K miles or less (for two) and I can perhaps cancel my HKT trip, the wife is a little iffy about the coronoavirus at the moment....

oliver2002 Feb 5, 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32034126)
As mentioned China awards have been removed plus partner awards are not dynamic (yet), so do not expect to see any "award" deals to Asia -- standard partner mileage.

I see plenty of options via China on CA and HO when searching partner awards from Germany to Australia.

jsloan Feb 5, 2020 8:33 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32035481)
I see plenty of options via China on CA and HO when searching partner awards from Germany to Australia.

Only US-China awards have been suppressed.

AussieExPat Feb 5, 2020 8:57 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32035481)

Think twice before taking that deal unless you're an Aussie citizen, permanent resident, or family member therein: https://www.abf.gov.au/news-media/ar...cle?itemId=354.

Mama Feb 5, 2020 9:36 am

Originally Posted by whitethunder (Post 32035244)
What a great title and love the idea

The best I got was a 90k per person on YYZ-AMS-IST-HKT one way in J a few days ago ( for a date in early March) to Phuket. No J available at saver levels on a return though so had to book Y for 40K.

I'm hoping someone can find a nice mileage deal maybe I can get a full trip in J to somewhere far away and hot for 260,000 K miles or less (for two) and I can perhaps cancel my HKT trip, the wife is a little iffy about the coronoavirus at the moment....

You mentioned IST, so I assume you are flying TK. Be aware, some of their wide body aircraft J seats are not lie-flat. Personally, I don't think 90K miles for an angled J seat is a good deal.

EWR764 Feb 5, 2020 10:31 am

Any reports of pax who have been in China (in the last 14 days) being denied boarding/rerouted on flights to IAH/DEN at the international departure point? It appears that SFO/LAX/ORD/IAD/EWR are the United hubs that are currently approved ports of entry for such travelers, with "enhanced" health screenings available upon arrival.

Mama Feb 5, 2020 10:56 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32035974)
Any reports of pax who have been in China (in the last 14 days) being denied boarding/rerouted on flights to IAH/DEN at the international departure point? It appears that SFO/LAX/ORD/IAD/EWR are the United hubs that are currently approved ports of entry for such travelers, with "enhanced" health screenings available upon arrival.

deny entry only applies to foreigners, not U.S citizens. Denied entry is not port-specific, i.e., deny entry to all ports in U.S. Airline check-in counter will not give you boarding pass if they know you will be denied entry.

malgudi Feb 5, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 32034062)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32033664-post412.html

"United.com also says that they have suspended award tickets on partners for travel between China and the US."

Not sure I understand the rationale

EWR764 Feb 5, 2020 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Mama (Post 32036078)
deny entry only applies to foreigners, not U.S citizens. Denied entry is not port-specific, i.e., deny entry to all ports in U.S. Airline check-in counter will not give you boarding pass if they know you will be denied entry.

Foreign nationals are restricted from entry, but US citizens who have been in China within the last 14 days will only be processed on arrival at certain approved airports where medical screenings can be carried out.

oliver2002 Feb 5, 2020 11:42 am

Originally Posted by AussieExPat (Post 32035619)
Think twice before taking that deal unless you're an Aussie citizen, permanent resident, or family member therein: https://www.abf.gov.au/news-media/ar...cle?itemId=354.

I just ran a search, doesn't mean I will fly anytime soon... ;)

AussieExPat Feb 5, 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32036275)
I just ran a search, doesn't mean I will fly anytime soon... ;)

Touché!

A321neo Feb 5, 2020 11:36 pm

Sorry, to clarify, I meant partner J fares. (I mistakenly called them 'awards' because they award the UA MP account with more than you'd get if you booked on UA. Yes, I understand thats the wrong use of the term 'award')

FTLexMUC Mar 1, 2020 1:30 pm

More award inventory due to Covid

Saw open IN and PZ & PN space on all flights EWR to LHR tomorrow.
Company self imposed travel restrictions seem to be already impacting demand severely

cfischer Mar 1, 2020 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 32130029)
Company self imposed travel restrictions seem to be already impacting demand severely

next day is usually good avail to LHR. Have booked that many times. But yes, a lot of IN inventory TATL available right now into the summer. Mid week is pretty open to many gateways such as FRA or ZRH or LHR

aerokitty Mar 2, 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 32130029)

UA 926 went out almost empty yesterday. Front of the plane was particularly sparse. Business travel seems to have totally shut down. I'm grounded...

physioprof Mar 2, 2020 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by aerokitty (Post 32133236)
UA 926 went out almost empty yesterday. Front of the plane was particularly sparse. Business travel seems to have totally shut down. I'm grounded...

My wife & I were traveling EWR-LHR in two weeks for a conference she was attending, but conference was canceled...

cfischer Mar 3, 2020 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 32134133)
My wife & I were traveling EWR-LHR in two weeks for a conference she was attending, but conference was canceled...

.... that's why flights are empty right now. Plus escalating corporate travel restrictions ... well into the future. So future bookings are super low right now ... good for IN and PZ availability ... bad for UA

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 3, 2020 5:58 pm

United jumped into the Hawaii fare war with flights under $200rt

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...t-15101580.php

tylerdurden4543 Mar 3, 2020 9:59 pm

Not sure if this is right place to post but last weekend I booked 5 tickets ORD-MIA for end of July for 12.5k miles each. Today, I redeposited to exchange for same 5 tickets but at 5k miles each (cash fares are $84 each way). Seems a little crazy for UA to be discounting flights that far out due to COVID19 but I'm not complaining.