Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
While a *G BP is the easiest way to get lounge access, sometimes that fails to be on the BP. So as a backup you might then need to produce a digital *G card with UA's app, with *A Gold symbol and/or bar code.

To get the bar code, tap on the card and it flips over.

For displaying the *A Gold emblem, the two major smartphone apps work differently

For IOS/Apple you need to move the card to the Apple Wallet.

For Android, the front of the card shows the *A Gold symbol but it is not very large.
Should work as is, but if need be, you can enlarge by enabling the triple tap magnifier or screen capture to Gallery and enlarge the picture.

From Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020], it appears *G BP or the digital card is sufficient for lounge access. The past issues requiring the physical card are "past history" unless one can not produce a *G BP or UA app digital card.

Print Wikipost

Displaying *G card on UA apps

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by Often1

LH has always be the stickiest of the sticky.

Imagine a German airline sticking rigidly to policies, (even if it doesn't seem to be the policy). Who would have thought!

I remember coming through Frankfurt about 7 years ago on a connection. The board in the lounge had no boarding calls showing which we didn't think anything of until it was about 20 minute before our flight was due to board. I asked the lounge angel if our flight was boarding and when/if it would show. The reply came with typical German efficiency that if the flight was scheduled to leave at XX:XX then it would leave at that time and we must be there 20 minute before hand. It seems there is no need for boarding calls as everything runs on time - always! Well that's me told!!!
atword likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:58 am

In 2019, on the one occasion where I was not flying business class on a *A carrier, I was asked to show my physical card to gain entry to one of the LH *G lounges in FRA, despite *G showing on my boarding pass. I always carry the card, so not an issue. This year, without having the front of UA's card available on the UA app, it will be difficult for those without a physical card to gain entry to LH or LX lounges.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyme2
In 2019, on the one occasion where I was not flying business class on a *A carrier, I was asked to show my physical card to gain entry to one of the LH *G lounges in FRA, despite *G showing on my boarding pass. I always carry the card, so not an issue. This year, without having the front of UA's card available on the UA app, it will be difficult for those without a physical card to gain entry to LH or LX lounges.
my 2019 virtual *G UA card had the front available when added to Apple Wallet. Since UA hasn't yet uploaded the 2020 version, how do we know the front and the *A logo will not be on the 2020 card?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are we supposed to have physical cards?

I'm *G (UA gold for most of the year, now UA Platinum). I don't have a physical card that shows this.

I've been able to get into the various Lufthansa lounges in FRA. I've done 2 SFO-FRA-HEL round trips. Never a problem getting access (4 times) with just my boarding pass. They never asked to see a card (physical or otherwise). Both times booked in PE / Y for TATL / inta-europe leg.

Also I flew SFO-NRT in PE on UA. On the return trip, I decided to skip the UA club in NRT and instead went to the NH business class lounge. Again, no issues getting in with just my boarding pass (no mention of a card was made). So... I'm 5 for 5 on partner lounges. I also had no problem getting into UA clubs when I was supposed to.

So... am I supposed to have a physical card? I got Gold status through a status match at the beginning of the year, and then qualified for Gold later in the year, and Platinum near the end. At no time did UA send me any physical cards. Do I need a physical card? How do I get it?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
In the last couple of years, I have been through MUC maybe 15 times in the Senator lounge a similar number of times in HAJ, and a handful of times in TXL.

Never had an issue with just *G being indicated on the boarding pass and never had to show even the virtual card.

As a slight sidenote, I do have issues getting *G to appear on LH reward tickets (booked with MP) and have to ask at the LH check in and then have the discussion about it being needed to get access to the lounge, fast track etc.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Soft Top
Imagine a German airline sticking rigidly to policies, (even if it doesn't seem to be the policy). Who would have thought!

I remember coming through Frankfurt about 7 years ago on a connection. The board in the lounge had no boarding calls showing which we didn't think anything of until it was about 20 minute before our flight was due to board. I asked the lounge angel if our flight was boarding and when/if it would show. The reply came with typical German efficiency that if the flight was scheduled to leave at XX:XX then it would leave at that time and we must be there 20 minute before hand. It seems there is no need for boarding calls as everything runs on time - always! Well that's me told!!!
Were you expecting boarding calls in a lounge? That happens nowhere.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer

As a slight sidenote, I do have issues getting *G to appear on LH reward tickets (booked with MP) and have to ask at the LH check in and then have the discussion about it being needed to get access to the lounge, fast track etc.
This is the same procedure I follow with regard to EW tickets, and I've never had a problem with getting LH CSR's to help.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It happens in some non-contracted airline lounges for their metal flights

Eg LH lounge @ IAD does boarding announcements (and they can board directly from the lounge)

For common /contracted lounges, probably no
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by kevflyer
They may have manually entered my MP#. I handed the phone to the agent but I don't recall what they did exactly. I was on a 016 ticket and UA flight.
This has been the case for me in multiple lounges, most recently the ANA lounges at HND and NRT, as well as the contract lounge at TLL. In all cases, *G and MP number were printed on my boarding pass, but they still insisted on seeing a card, which I fortunately carry with me for this exact reason.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Why does a lounge agent need to see the back?
That is where the barcode is, but I have never seen any agent scan the barcode.

On Android I have kept a screenshot of the card from the old app. I've only once had to use my digital card for access, and that time I showed the agent the current in-app card, was told 'no good'. When I then pulled up the old card screenshot, it was deemed acceptable.

I have no idea why the designed it like they have with the last major refresh. Android also has no google wallet function for the card, so the apple wallet workaround doesn't work.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by n12hx
This has been the case for me in multiple lounges, most recently the ANA lounges at HND and NRT, as well as the contract lounge at TLL. In all cases, *G and MP number were printed on my boarding pass, but they still insisted on seeing a card, which I fortunately carry with me for this exact reason.
How recent?

Early last year, was able to enter ANA NRT lounge

1) accepted physical UA boarding pass with *G, no card
2) accepted mobile UA boarding pass with *G (they need to manually enter PNR or *G # in computer to verify), no card
3) accepted physical UA boarding pass (which says *S) with mobile UA *G card (they called someone to verify gold status. Gold status was just newly minted from inbound flight)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by paperwastage
How recent?

Early last year, was able to enter ANA NRT lounge

1) accepted physical UA boarding pass with *G, no card
2) accepted mobile UA boarding pass with *G (they need to manually enter PNR or *G # in computer to verify), no card
3) accepted physical UA boarding pass (which says *S) with mobile UA *G card (they called someone to verify gold status. Gold status was just newly minted from inbound flight)
This was about two weeks ago...weird that there doesn't seem to be a standard procedure one way or the other...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, I was expecting it to show on the TV screens that, (everywhere else), tell you when flights are boarding, delayed, final call etc. There was nothing just a list of flights with their scheduled departure time. In Germany it seems flights are never delayed so there is no need for this, or, more accurately, that is what they hope and strive for.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by n12hx
This was about two weeks ago...weird that there doesn't seem to be a standard procedure one way or the other...
The HNL ANA lounge didn't ask for proof and accepted my UA BP.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:07 am

I think award bookings may have issues at times with *G status not appearing.

I booked two Air China flights with UA miles and my *G status did not appear on the boarding passes. *G status did not come up when scanning the BP in PEK. They were able to confirm by entering my MP number but there were a tense few minutes of excited conversation between a few lounge workers before I was allowed to pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.