Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do United executives know that nobody like the angled Polaris business class seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do United executives know that nobody like the angled Polaris business class seat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
If I can choose my Polaris seat it is row 1 or 9, followed by any odd number.

However, if my seat preference is not available I will still take a Polaris seat (odd or even, window or aisle). It is a lie flat seat with aisle access. Beats E+ and PP any day of the week.
jsloan and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why people object to the angled seat. Because of the angle? I don't get that.
In post#8, it said the angled seat isn't the same - and implied inferior to - to the straight seats. Is that true?
I'm trying to get a handle on this for my next UA flight. But I've flown so many herringbone style cabins, I'm just not seeing the problem if it's just an odd orientation preference. There has to be something else
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
I don't understand why people object to the angled seat. Because of the angle? I don't get that.
In post#8, it said the angled seat isn't the same - and implied inferior to - to the straight seats. Is that true?
I'm trying to get a handle on this for my next UA flight. But I've flown so many herringbone style cabins, I'm just not seeing the problem if it's just an odd orientation preference. There has to be something else
For me it is the larger footwell in rows 1 and 9. I am not a coffin sleeper.

For the even rows you are closer to the aisle and as a lighter sleeper the movement and noise can wake me whereas the odd rows seem to have a bit more protection.

Again, as I said in my post above any Polaris seat is better than PP or E+.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by narvik
They know, and they don't care.
And if they ever do care, they'll just charge more for the non-angled seats.
And do you think they care that the food more closely resembles high school cafeteria than many other business class meals? I think you know the answer....
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:01 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
The odd-numbered straight seats are actually quite difficult to squeeze in and out of, uniike the even-numbered angled seats which are much easier in this respect.
JetBunny likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rickg523
The angled seats don’t have the semi-private feel as the straight seats because they are closer to to the aisle, giving a more exposed feeling.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
The angled seats don’t have the semi-private feel as the straight seats because they are closer to to the aisle, giving a more exposed feeling.
One person's more exposed feeling is another person's less claustrophobic feeling. In the end, these are all minor issues compared to flying in 10-across Y on a 777.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Informative thread and helpful for showing that it's not an issue for me - as I said I've been flying herringbone internationally for years. If the seats, footwell, storage cubbies, etc are the same, I'm good, so I won't be one of those flyers competing for specific rows. And in fact, I'm that guy who'd swap a straight for an angled (or vice versa) with someone who has such a preference - all other things being equal, of course.

​​​​​
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Let’s change the even row seat colors to dark green and discount them by 800 bucks. They’d go like hot cakes. Mark my words.

In seriousness, I really thought I hated the even “angled” seats (btw I think they all are angled). I got stuck, in the next to last row on a long TPAC recently and actually loved it. Why? I liked the config of the table and storage and footrest better. The little bit of lost privacy didn’t matter because I was in the back....meaning zero foot traffic to/ from the galley and bathroom by FAs and pax.
JetBunny likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The word on the internet is the odd (non-angled seats)are better, so the "herd" is just going with what they have heard. Odd seats go first but in the end, usually, all the seats are filled. There are pluss and minuses to odd vs even but the odd PR team has done a better job.

UA is far from the only carrier with herringbone layout and there is a reason for that -- all straight is space inefficient and would reduce the number of seats. The herringbone layout leads to different plus / minuses on the odd / even and different personal preferences.
jsloan and JetBunny like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2020 at 2:22 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
United probably knows this, but what are they going to do? People still pay for them.

If I were paying for a J ticket I'd still pay for the J ticket even if all that was left were seats in even rows. Yes, the odd rows are a slightly nicer seat, but it's not a huge deal. It's like not being able to get an aisle in the front of E+. You grab something decent elsewhere and move on.
Or fly a different airline!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:17 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
To be honest, I would as my upgrade % was way higher than it is now.
But United doesn’t was to give away seats, they want to sell them. Most other airlines have similar seating arrangements to the new Polaris so it a market driven requirement. If I’m upgrading I’ll happily take the 2-4-2 configuration over coach but if I’m paying, I’d take the new Polaris over the 2-4-2.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
United does not have angled lie-flat seats on any of its aircraft. They are all 180 degrees, fully flat beds, including on the 773s and 772s.
Thanks for letting us know
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:38 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
United probably knows this, but . . . . People still pay for them . . . if I were paying for a J ticket . . . . . I'd still pay for the J ticket . . . . . even if all that was left were seats in even rows.
In other words, United is only going to leave money on the table by making the configuration more spacious-- optimization is a balancing of multiple factors and they believe they have achieved that (or come close enough).

[Seats with no angling or tapering and a full rectangular body footprints are generally found only in first class-- even QSuites taper, by the way.]
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I've flown in the 'angled' seats a few times now, and while I prefer the 'straight-line' seats, I am not upset if I end up in one, especially on an upgrade. It's not a materially worse experience, IMO.

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
To be honest, I would as my upgrade % was way higher than it is now.
If you were scoring a higher upgrade percentage with the IPTE configuration, it's not because of the number of seats in the cabin. Generally, with the Polaris mods, there are the same or more premium seats than before (except for the 788, of which 1/12 is in service).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.