Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-550

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

For those interested, TPG has photos of the new CRJ550:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/sneak-...-class-crj550/

The snack bar makes it look very much not like an RJ
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by windhund
For those interested, TPG has photos of the new CRJ550:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/sneak-...-class-crj550/

The snack bar makes it look very much not like an RJ
I wonder how much food I can grab out of the self serve before the FA menaces me
NJDevils26 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
There is no pic, but the UA seatmap shows an additional cabinet in front of 1A
Cool new feature boys and girls!!
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/CRJ-550.html

3D view virtual tour on the UA website aircraft types. The 550 is the first one to have it. And yes, it does appear to be addtl bag storage in front of the first row Aircraft left.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Is there a "Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-550" Thread? I'm booking for sunday

Seems like row 1 might not have much leg room. Other than that, I can't tell much

Last edited by eng3; Jan 30, 2020 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium
I've been in 1A and it was a great seat.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:59 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I think 4A is the best non-lie flat seat in the fleet. Express or not. So, so, so much legroom, and extremely private with a luggage bin across the aisle from you (which no one tried to access on my flight)...It almost felt like I wasn’t flying commercial.

Unfortunately, I fell asleep and didn’t get a chance to hit the self-service snack bar.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I've been on this little plane a number of times, mostly DSM-ORD-DSM. In the beginning, the FA were quite rushed getting everything done, but over last week or two finally seem to have the service process down. Have never seen anyone help themselves to the self-serve food/beverage. The F seats are okay with incredible leg room. But, I find the economy plus/coach seats to be horribly hard, like sitting on concrete bench, that transfers the impact of the wheels hitting the tarmac with bone-jarring force. Row 10, I believe - the row before exit row that doesn't recline - has my vote as row to avoid.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I just booked a RT on this model EWR SDF EWR in July. I booked E+ outbound, and First return. How does the beverage service work in F? Is it self service open bar? Or does the FA serve cocktails, and only snacks are self served?

I'm very curious about the service.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I think 4A is the best non-lie flat seat in the fleet. Express or not. So, so, so much legroom, and extremely private with a luggage bin across the aisle from you (which no one tried to access on my flight)...It almost felt like I wasn’t flying commercial.

Unfortunately, I fell asleep and didn’t get a chance to hit the self-service snack bar.
Is there limited recline in 4A, 3CD?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I just booked a RT on this model EWR SDF EWR in July. I booked E+ outbound, and First return. How does the beverage service work in F? Is it self service open bar? Or does the FA serve cocktails, and only snacks are self served?

I'm very curious about the service.
I've flown on this plane four times now (always between SYR and ORD). On all four flights the service worked the same - FA took F drink orders before takeoff. After takeoff the FA quickly brought out the drinks that had been ordered on the ground and came through with the snack basket. Then the FA did service in E before coming back and going through the F cabin to give refills. All four FAs were surprisingly efficient at this, and passengers in F got 2-3 drinks on flights of around 1.5 to 2hrs. Snacks were always available at the self-service area, but nobody ever went up there and took anything. If it weren't for the lavatory being in the back, this would be my absolute favorite plane in the fleet.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:02 am

I'll be flying ORD-GRB. It's a pretty short flight, I've even seen some lazy FA's announce zero drink service (eventhough some good ones are able to do it on ORD-MKE) on CRJ, E45. Seems like the FA will be busy on this flight with a F cabin.

It's nice that the FA comes by with the snack basket eventhough there is a self service area. Seems like they could easily cut one of those.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:20 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Not that I noticed. Everything is soooooo spread out on that plane...And the above seat map is not to scale, especially on the first row of E+...There’s a ton more legroom in that row than the map indicates.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:19 pm

I just flew on this plane this morning. Only a 40min flight.
I sat in 4A.
Pros: Baggage space, leg room, no one next to you
Cons: Window not aligned well, No power (though you wouldnt get power on a CRJ or E45)

It sounds like the overheads won't fit the typical rollaboards so the luggage racks should be reserved for rollaboards but I observed many people putting in small duffle bags or even smaller ones that would fit under the seat. The plane was only half full so it didnt matter. There wasn't really any announcement about this that this. There were pre-recorded annoucements, but just about putting personal items under your seat. The pre-recorded announcement is of rather poor sound quality so I might have missed something. The FA must have been reading from an old script because when we landed she said that people with a green tag bag should stand to the side in the jetbridge to allow others to pass.

This was the busiest regional FA I've ever seen on this route. She first offered everyone in F drinks, then did all the drinks in Y. Then came by with the snack basket, then went into Y with snacks. I'm use to water only sometimes or even no service at all. She even took my jacket to hang up (though seemed to forget to give it back to me.

Overall, I am in agreement. Definitely the best 50 plane. If it had power (and IFE), I might say this is the best domestic F seat of all.

As for seats, I think I like 4A the most since you are isolated. It didnt look like there was any foot cutout in row 1 so I'd avoid that seat, though it seemed like there was plenty of legroom
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3

My 4A seat the other day on GSO-ORD reclined normally as far as I could tell. Great seat.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Flew EWR-GSO this weekend in 4A. Will add to others who said this is one of the best FC seats in the fleet (except for the misaligned window). Very private feeling. Very small overhead, so most bags go in one of the closets. One tactical issues there is that passengers in the first couple rows have to swim upstream to get their bags from the closet, rather than getting them out of the overhead.

Here are some photos.

There are three closets mid cabin.

Coats are hung behind 3CD (similar to the 319/320).

Seat 4A. Private with plenty of legroom and room to recline.

Snack counter has a basket, along with items in the cabinet for self-service, including cheese & crackers (upper left).
FlytheTail likes this.

Last edited by tarheelnj; Feb 17, 2020 at 6:54 am Reason: minor corrections

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.