Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United going to have twice the number of 1Ks with the new qualification program?

Is United going to have twice the number of 1Ks with the new qualification program?

Old Jan 30, 20, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Yes, though there's probably a segment who spend between 18K-24K and fly less than 54 segments that will now fly with another airline.
And in doing so, will fall below (and in some cases significantly below) this spend threshold.
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by tods27 View Post

All of this analysis is great, except that we don't actually have all the data that United does. It's easy to say that they haven't considered some use cases, but we really don't know. Maybe they have and decided that the number of affected fliers isn't that big. I'm not saying that they have a fantastic strategy, just that we, as usual, aren't privy to the tradeoffs that they analyzed. It's also good to remember that FTers don't necessarily represent the general flying population.
I think youíre giving UA too much credit. Even if they did program a formula to allow for adjustments up or down based upon perceived human behavior, I suspect that they vastly under-estimated the drop in business by customers who care about value for their money and are not bound by corporate contracts. I perceive UA as a company that is hamstrung by hubris. And hubris interferes with good judgment.

I flew UA because overall they were a good value for the money. For certain flights they were not, but the value of 1K benefits outweighed my better judgment for those particular flights. Once I drop down to Gold or Platinum, I wonít do dumb things like pay for a $2,700+ Y fare to EZE where 3 out of 4 upgrades failed (and both Polaris legs) when for $300 more I could have confirmed J the whole way on a competitor. Thatís what I would have done if I hadnít needed that flight to re-qualify for 1K.
Halo117, spin88, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
For certain flights they were not, but the value of 1K benefits outweighed my better judgment for those particular flights. Once I drop down to Gold or Platinum, I won’t do dumb things like pay for a $2,700+ Y fare to EZE where 3 out of 4 upgrades failed (and both Polaris legs) when for $300 more I could have confirmed J the whole way on a competitor. That’s what I would have done if I hadn’t needed that flight to re-qualify for 1K.
And I am willing to bet none of their "data" reflects your purchasing decision!
SS255 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
I think youíre giving UA too much credit. Even if they did program a formula to allow for adjustments up or down based upon perceived human behavior, I suspect that they vastly under-estimated the drop in business by customers who care about value for their money and are not bound by corporate contracts. I perceive UA as a company that is hamstrung by hubris. And hubris interferes with good judgment.
I'm not actually giving UA credit. They may have made a terrible decision. What I am saying is that you have no real basis for claiming that they "vastly under-estimated the drop in business". We simply don't know what they analyzed and/or the assumptions that they made. Only time will tell if UA made a good or bad decision, and in all honesty, we may not be able to truly evaluate their decision.
Old Jan 30, 20, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
Only time will tell if UA made a good or bad decision, and in all honesty, we may not be able to truly evaluate their decision.
I can evaluate it for myself: bad, definitely bad!
uastarflyer and bballdad175 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: