sCO 752s EWR-MCO

Old Jan 25, 20, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
sCO 752s EWR-MCO

Weíre taking the kiddos to Disney on 14Aug20 and we booked the trip down on UA1527, the 1205 departure, on a 739, in F. I had wanted to try and get one of the flights with a 752, but since the last one of the day was the 0945 departure, I didnít think it was worth going down that early, considering the equipment is not guaranteed.

Well, we got a plesent surprise tonight with a schedule change. UA1527 for 14Aug20 was changed to a 752 with an 1113 departure, something very doable. Iím just hoping it sticks.

Why are there so many sCO 752s between EWR and MCO? I thought I read that there is a 752 maintenance base of some sort in MCO, but am interested in learning more. 2-3 round trips per day for maintenance seems like a lot, unless itís something as simple as changing the oil in your car and topping of fluids.
Old Jan 25, 20, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
Weíre taking the kiddos to Disney on 14Aug20 and we booked the trip down on UA1527, the 1205 departure, on a 739, in F. I had wanted to try and get one of the flights with a 752, but since the last one of the day was the 0945 departure, I didnít think it was worth going down that early, considering the equipment is not guaranteed.

Well, we got a plesent surprise tonight with a schedule change. UA1527 for 14Aug20 was changed to a 752 with an 1113 departure, something very doable. Iím just hoping it sticks.

Why are there so many sCO 752s between EWR and MCO? I thought I read that there is a 752 maintenance base of some sort in MCO, but am interested in learning more. 2-3 round trips per day for maintenance seems like a lot, unless itís something as simple as changing the oil in your car and topping of fluids.
Nothing more than the market can support it.
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
Short enough turns to kill time between TATLs?
Kacee, phkc070408, wxguy and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA does 757 maintenance at MCO, so they are usually in the schedule from EWR.
Old Jan 25, 20, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
That is definitely not the reason
Old Jan 25, 20, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
UA does 757 maintenance at MCO, so they are usually in the schedule from EWR.
Exactly. You'll notice plenty of RONs (Remain Over Night) turns for the 752's at MCO as well. Gives them a chance to do maintenance work during some light downtime.

My $0.02: This worked really well when the 752's were newer. They're getting older, and maybe it's just me, but I'm finding more and more MX issues with them. Thankfully, with the pending interior refresh, I'm expecting a LOT of maintenance to be completed on them, to give us some more reliability during the push towards retirement. Gotta get several more years out of them ... Will be a *very* sad day once these workhorses leave the fleet. They've changed the industry in many ways, and left it all on the table. Best narrow body ever built, IMO.
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Short enough turns to kill time between TATLs?
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Exactly. You'll notice plenty of RONs (Remain Over Night) turns for the 752's at MCO as well. Gives them a chance to do maintenance work during some light downtime.
I would normally agree with this, but they do seem to spend the night there, indicting the maint. We had hoped to catch one back on our 8:55pm departure on Friday(22), but the last one departs before noon.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
My $0.02: This worked really well when the 752's were newer. They're getting older, and maybe it's just me, but I'm finding more and more MX issues with them. Thankfully, with the pending interior refresh, I'm expecting a LOT of maintenance to be completed on them, to give us some more reliability during the push towards retirement. Gotta get several more years out of them ... Will be a *very* sad day once these workhorses leave the fleet. They've changed the industry in many ways, and left it all on the table. Best narrow body ever built, IMO.
I as well am a fan of this plane. The coziness of the small J cabin mimics the privacy of the UD on the 747s, and I am a huge fan of the sCO seat. In fact, when Mrs. and I flew LAX-EWR on a red-eye last August, we gave up the opportunity to try the Polaris Seats in the 78J to get one of these.
Old Jan 26, 20, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
I as well am a fan of this plane. The coziness of the small J cabin mimics the privacy of the UD on the 747s.
Back in the day, when CO first tried 757s on TATL, I always wondered why FFs complained to high heaven about it when the up-front experiences and dimensions were so close to the 747 UD those same FFs lusted after.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
August is outside the typical 3 month horizon, so don't be surprised at additional aircraft type and flight timing changes.
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
When I fly out of MCO on UA I will only ever fly the 757 to EWR. The other options are just bad. For a bit there were some 767s on the route. Seems to be winter only though.
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Yeah, just extra utilization for the TATL 752's. MIA & FLL gets them too.
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:54 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
I love the 752's. They were instrumental in the success of Continental operating the new thin routes to Ireland, UK and near Europe.

I agree about the J cabin, 16 seats and a really great service for the legacy CO crews.

Best experience I had was The Edge as my seat mate to EWR one time.
Old Jan 27, 20, 9:12 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
There is usually one daily 757 EWR-TPA-EWR as well. They come and go, but it has been there recently

Search this Thread
Search Engine: