Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah but how big is the droplet of bodily fluid that the virus is in? This: https://lms.learning.hhs.gov/content...5_FAQ_2011.pdf suggests that blocking out 500 nanometer is sufficient.

I'd be more worried about the 5% leakage. Although I'm not sure what the leakage is on larger particles.
It's hard to make water droplets that are even as small as a micron (1000 nm) unless you're actively trying to do it, and even then it's a pain. Water droplets are also relatively easy to catch on a filter as long as it's a type that will wet. Coughing and sneezing (and even talking) tend to produce droplets much larger than a micron, and virtually none smaller than 5 micron.

Most viruses don't last long outside the body, and it depends on conditions. Coronaviruses look pretty durable- as long as days on some surfaces, and on PPE, though some metals (copper, copper alloys like brass) seem to have antiviral properties. That there aren't planeloads of people running around with it suggest that it doesn't transmit that well through air.

FWIW, I'm flying transcon out of LAX tomorrow and not terribly worried about it. I keep a box of N95 masks at home for days when there are a lot of particulates in the air from fires, and they'll be staying in the box.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137

FWIW, I'm flying transcon out of LAX tomorrow and not terribly worried about it. I keep a box of N95 masks at home for days when there are a lot of particulates in the air from fires, and they'll be staying in the box.
My sister-in-law was connecting at LAX just this morning. She said that a dozens of people at TBIT were wearing respirators. An elderly man was even wearing a gas mask. Strangely, none of the people that she saw wearing respirators were East Asians.(as in Chinese, Korean, Japanese)

I forgot to ask her, but I was wondering if the TSA asked people to remove their respirators at the checkpoints... (if so, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of respirators?)

I was unable to buy N95 respirators from anywhere(local or online). While I was getting my regular check-up, my primary doctor was kind enough to give me a couple dozen surgical masks.(better than nothing, right?) That's the least she can do, since she doesn't accept insurance at all and each visit was $150.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
My sister-in-law was connecting at LAX just this morning. She said that a dozens of people at TBIT were wearing respirators. An elderly man was even wearing a gas mask. Strangely, none of the people that she saw wearing respirators were East Asians.(as in Chinese, Korean, Japanese)

I forgot to ask her, but I was wondering if the TSA asked people to remove their respirators at the checkpoints... (if so, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of respirators?)

I was unable to buy N95 respirators from anywhere(local or online). While I was getting my regular check-up, my primary doctor was kind enough to give me a couple dozen surgical masks.(better than nothing, right?) That's the least she can do, since she doesn't accept insurance at all and each visit was $150.
I got a 10-pack of 3M N95s on amazon yesterday for about $40.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

link, please?

thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
link, please?
https://smile.amazon.com/3M-8511PB1-...BV2/ref=sr_1_3
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was $22 for a 10 pack of the 3M 9211 model a year ago.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only sort of. There's not some uniform distribution of virus particles floating around, but rather some random distribution of spots that someone may have left a virus, and there's some chance of you picking it up or breathing it in. It doesn't seem all that airborne, so having the mask off for a few minutes at TSA probably won't have much effect (nor, probably, will wearing the mask). You'd probably want to discard a mask that you're wearing, and then put on a new one after TSA so that you don't pick up anything on the inside of the mask.

That said, probably the most effective thing you can do is wash your hands regularly and don't touch your eyes, nose, and mouth. Basically good BSL 1 lab practice.
wrp96 and YadiMolina like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
It was $22 for a 10 pack of the 3M 9211 model a year ago.
Fair enough. Supply and demand. I paid $8 for a 2-pack before I went to Delhi (from a pharmacy) so I'm ok with $4 per.

The ones I bought are these:
Amazon Amazon
but they are now $60. Glad I bought them yesterday.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:06 pm

We will be flying NRT-LAX on Tuesday and wearing plain surgical masks. Tokyo is full of Chinese visitors. NRT even more. Don't expect UA to deny us boarding. At my age I don't even know why I bother.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:19 pm

Fair enough. Supply and demand. I paid $8 for a 2-pack before I went to Delhi (from a pharmacy) so I'm ok with $4 per.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MPLVVA
Just for fun I googled this item. You can find it for less than $15.00 on U.S. websites incl. ebay. Might not arrive next day but the savings are substantial.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Just for fun I googled this item. You can find it for less than $15.00 on U.S. websites incl. ebay. Might not arrive next day but the savings are substantial.
Link please? A quick search on ebay doesn't find them for under $50
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MPLVVA
That's the same 9211 model I have a box of. They get really hard to find when there's a fire near an urban area, and then back to normal availability & price after. I also have a couple of masks with replaceable cartridges that I use when I'm making fine dust around the house. Looks like cartridges are available for normal price and ~3 day delivery.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As someone who travelled frequently overseas during SARS, I am not someone who is prone to overreacting on flu type outbreaks, but the fact the WHO was at 50/50 on the issue yesterday and there is a lot of politics at play in that organization this is more serious than the Chinese initially let on.

1919 was the last serious worldwide influenza epidemic and we did not have the fast global connections we have now. We are overdue for a killer influenza and I for one will be wearing a respirator when I travel. Of course basic hygiene principles as well.

I am amazed UA has not yet mandated them for their customer facing personnel.
This is wise since we don't know exactly how much virus is necessary to overwhelm the immune system. It is very likely that any reduction in viral exposure will have some benefit in one's ability to fight off a full blown infection. Survival rate, based on the current, admittedly tainted, Chinese information is around 80%, so there are many unknown variables that can help one overcome the infection, and reduction of total viral particle exposure is likely one of those factors.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
This is wise since we don't know exactly how much virus is necessary to overwhelm the immune system. It is very likely that any reduction in viral exposure will have some benefit in one's ability to fight off a full blown infection. Survival rate, based on the current, admittedly tainted, Chinese information is around 80%, so there are many unknown variables that can help one overcome the infection, and reduction of total viral particle exposure is likely one of those factors.
Survival rate is certainly higher than 80%. 1 in 5 people who get this virus dying would certainly be cause for massive global action. We are nowhere near that point yet.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Survival rate is certainly higher than 80%. 1 in 5 people who get this virus dying would certainly be cause for massive global action. We are nowhere near that point yet.
Sorry, I misread the report. 20% of those who get the viral pneumonia are dying while the overall death rate is 3% of those who test positive for nCoV.

Below is something interesting from Foreign Policy magazine:

"Yet few children have yet been reported with coronavirus symptoms. That does not mean that no children have been infected. A similar pattern of benign disease in children, with increasing severity and mortality with age, was seen in SARS and MERS. SARS had a mortality rate averaging 10 percent. Yet no children, and just 1 percent of youths under 24, died, while those older than 50 had a 65 percent risk of dying. Is being an adult a risk factor per se? If so, what is it about childhood that confers protection? It may be the nonspecific effects of live vaccines such as for measles and rubella, which already have been found to provide protection from diseases beyond their immediate target. That may also explain why more men than women have been infected by the coronavirus, because women routinely are given a rubella vaccine booster in their teens to guard against the dangers of having rubella while pregnant. While we wait for an accelerated coronavirus vaccine to be ready, could innate immunity in adults be boosted by giving measles vaccines?"

Frequent travelers to China might consider getting a measles booster before they travel.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.