Best way of booking this flight

Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Best way of booking this flight

Hi,

So, PZ space has just opened up on a flght I want PBI-EWR-LHR. I will book as P+ and use points. The thing is, I am flying with wife and 8y/o daughter, and they will be staying out there longer than me. So, I am wondering what the best way to book is. Should I just do a one way for all 3 of us for the PBI-EWR leg so we can sit together in E+ (or does booking a trip using P+ mean they will have E+ access even if I am not flying with them ?) It seems the PBI-EWR will be B class and the EWR-LHR is R class.

Or, should I just book my return trip, and then separately their return trip , and if so, can the helpdek then link them to me for the PBI-EWR leg so they both have my 1k status on a B class ticket and we have the Pluspoints on that trip too, as part of the whole leg ?

It also seems a bit cheaper to book the PBI-EWR leg separately ($300 return ) instead of building it into the whole trip (increases the P+ EWR-LHR portion from $1,424 to $1,795).

Does B class ticket upgrade at booking , if available, like M class does? If so, would it be all 3 of us, or just two of us and it splits us out like it usually does when we all fly together?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get maximum upgrade opportunity (EWR-LHR leg does not matter, as I only ever book PZ space) . thx
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by simonoaks
So, I am wondering what the best way to book is. Should I just do a one way for all 3 of us for the PBI-EWR leg so we can sit together in E+ (or does booking a trip using P+ mean they will have E+ access even if I am not flying with them ?) It seems the PBI-EWR will be B class and the EWR-LHR is R class.
This is a little bit tricky. I would say the best way to book is to ticket the three of you on the same PNR using their schedule and apply the points, and then within 24 hours of ticketing (free change window) split yourself off of the PNR and change your return. I think this will keep 1K priority on the original PNR. This may be finicky if you take the last seat from your outbound.

Being ticketed in B class as a delegated PE fare entitles you to E+, so your wife and daughter would have E+ regardless of how you book.

Or, should I just book my return trip, and then separately their return trip , and if so, can the helpdek then link them to me for the PBI-EWR leg so they both have my 1k status on a B class ticket and we have the Pluspoints on that trip too, as part of the whole leg ?
If not originating on the same PNR you cannot meaningfully "link" reservations such that they receive any kind of priority.

It also seems a bit cheaper to book the PBI-EWR leg separately ($300 return ) instead of building it into the whole trip (increases the P+ EWR-LHR portion from $1,424 to $1,795).
If I follow that, a split-ticket in EWR saves $71 per pax? Not sure that's really worth the hassle and risk of split tickets. Also you lose the B fare on PBI-EWR.

Does B class ticket upgrade at booking , if available, like M class does? If so, would it be all 3 of us, or just two of us and it splits us out like it usually does when we all fly together?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get maximum upgrade opportunity (EWR-LHR leg does not matter, as I only ever book PZ space) . thx
I believe the B-up is by individual status, but I am not sure. Yes, it is instant-upgrade eligible for all Premiers: to PN for 1K/GS and PZ for others.
simonoaks likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So, in the end, I just booked us on the same flights 1st July to 25th July all with open PZ space, so was 180 points for P+ to J . Which is fine as I am trying to use all my points up before I status match and move over to DAL.

I was wondering, and the PBI - EWR both ways is B, would all 3 of us bump up if the spaced opened up, or just 2 of us, as there would be 3 travelling and only 2 can have the 1k status, or none as it would be 3 people on one PNR ? thx

What are the pors/cons of splitting PNR at checkin? for some reason , every time I go to UK with wife and Daugher, at checkin I have to split my wife off, to go on upgrade list.
thx
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I was wondering, and the PBI - EWR both ways is B, would all 3 of us bump up if the spaced opened up, or just 2 of us, as there would be 3 travelling and only 2 can have the 1k status, or none as it would be 3 people on one PNR ? thx ,,,
Believe only the 1Ks, not the companions can make use of the YBM fare upgrade
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...oes-work.html#

...What are the pors/cons of splitting PNR at checkin? for some reason , every time I go to UK with wife and Daugher, at checkin I have to split my wife off, to go on upgrade list.
thx
To be eligible for upgrades at the gate, you must split the PNR. If waitlist with PlusPoints that will be automatic. For CPU upgrades, you will be ask to split and waitlist or to skip the upgrade opportunity and stay a common PNR. One or the other.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.