Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best option (SFO-SIN) for wrangling lots of checked bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best option (SFO-SIN) for wrangling lots of checked bags?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Question Best option (SFO-SIN) for wrangling lots of checked bags?

Long time listener, first time caller.

My family and I are making a major trip (SFO to SIN) for an extended period of time. We've got two (very young) kids and will be bringing a lot of checked bags with us flying Polaris. I'm wondering what the best approaches are for wrangling a ton of bags on travel day.

E.g. how early before our flight can I start shuttling bags to the airport to check them in? Is there some white glove service where someone will shuttle our bags over for us and/or check them in? I almost never fly with anything more than 2 carry-ons so this is all new to me. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: united
You can check bags at SFO up to 4 hours in advance of your first flight.

On the SIN end, you might consider using a baggage pickup and delivery service, though I am not sure if you have to pick them off the carousel and take them through customs yourself. Do some googling and you find a few companies that operate out of SIN airport.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
We (family of 5 including three girls aged 8,5 and 4) frequently travel with 6-8 large checked bags filled to the weight limit. It is by far the most stressful part of the experience and I am always relieved once everything is checked in.

I'm not sure where you will be before your flight (home? a hotel nearby SFO?) but my advice is to book private transport (something big) rather that relying on any sort of shuttle as you then have an extra set of hands to help with the bags. Most airports have porters who can be summoned to the car and usually have access to large carts (rather than you trying to corral multiple smaller carts). All this involves tips, naturally.

One thing to remember is that the traveling passenger tied to a bag must be there to check them in. So, if you're going to check in 3 for you, you can do it in advance by yourself but if you need to check in more against other passengers, they need to be there, too.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:41 pm

You will need an MPV instead of a taxi when you land in SIN. Regular taxis can’t handle lots of bags.

When you get to the front of the taxi queue they will page one which can take a few minutes.

You should download the comfort delgro app....
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:10 pm

at changi, there's a paid porter service available (require advance booking, $3/item). trolleys are free (small airside and large landside)
https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...r-service.html

you can splurge for a meet & greet service($80 with 4 bags, $12/piece above 4) as well as booking private MPV. dont think it's worth it (at least not the meet & greet part), your choice
https://changimeetandgreet.com/

you can even splurge more for the private terminal service (quayside/jetside. buggy/tarmac-car from gate to private terminal, clear immigration there, they pick up bags for you and load it to your car)
$90-$400+
https://www.jetquay.com.sg/full_desc...f_services.php
review of quayside arrival service
Trip Report of JETQUAY : Singapore's Private Terminal Service
My JetQuay Experience (SIN) – A Walk To Remember

I've booked a large 10seater van/coach via grab before (multiple people and luggage, mpv not enough. Double price if regular grab/taxi, but worth it to be together. Grab is the equivalent of Uber in Asia, Uber left)

at SFO. no price list
https://www.flysfo.com/services-amen...airport-butler

Last edited by paperwastage; Jan 23, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.