Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

TSA Precheck at IAD

The precheck line can sometimes get pretty long at IAD. And I don't recall seeing a separate precheck line (or separate entrance) for passengers flying in F or otherwise having premier access. Am I right about that? Is there a better approach (short of getting Clear), such as going to the non-precheck security, where as I recall there is a separate line/entrance for F passengers?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
No separate line at IAD for premium passengers. Everyone drops in the same line unless you have CLEAR. With clear and TSA Pre, you will drop in the existing upper level line, if just CLEAR without Pre, you will have to go downstairs.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:09 pm

I've ended up ducking out of the pre check lane and used the regular lane at IAD because it was far far shorter more than a couple of times. I was often flying out around 7:00 pm and pre check seemed stuffed with people boarding international departures just from snooping at boarding passes.

Once the regular lane security guy tried to get me to go back to pre check. I refused.

But yeah, IAD pre check can be a mess.

EWR pre check is even worse though.

Mike
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pre-Check processes an average of 6-7 passengers for every passenger in the standard line. Unless the Pre-Check line is 6-7 times longer than the regular line, the fact that it is somewhat longer is irrelevant as it is time, not number of people that matters.

There is no separate priority Pre-Check as Pre-Check itself amounts to a priority.
chemengin likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium
Get CLEAR, problem solved.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Irish93DCA
Get CLEAR, problem solved.
From the OP:
Originally Posted by Chamor
(short of getting Clear)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Chamor
The precheck line can sometimes get pretty long at IAD. And I don't recall seeing a separate precheck line (or separate entrance) for passengers flying in F or otherwise having premier access. Am I right about that? Is there a better approach (short of getting Clear), such as going to the non-precheck security, where as I recall there is a separate line/entrance for F passengers?
There is no F or separate Premier Access line for TSA at IAD.

I have not seen a separate F and/or Premier Access TSA line at any of the US airports I have been to. Has anyone seen it?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I have not seen a separate F and/or Premier Access TSA line at any of the US airports I have been to. Has anyone seen it?
you mean a separate pre line just for F/premier access. No, I’ve never seen it, and don’t think it exists.

but what do I know, I’m just based at CVG, where a line of 10 people at pre is pretty busy.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyingmike
I've ended up ducking out of the pre check lane and used the regular lane at IAD because it was far far shorter more than a couple of times. I was often flying out around 7:00 pm and pre check seemed stuffed with people boarding international departures just from snooping at boarding passes.
What day of the week? I routinely flew out of IAD on Fridays and it was a ghost town after 5 o'clock. In all my IAD flying I've never faced any significant wait at security.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by findark
What day of the week? I routinely flew out of IAD on Fridays and it was a ghost town after 5 o'clock. In all my IAD flying I've never faced any significant wait at security.
Lucky you. I've never had that experience before evening flights out of Dulles on Thursdays and Fridays. Here's a pic I took from a Thursday in August of the Precheck line at around 5. They've since moved the Clear folks which makes it a little better. But I certainly have not found Dulles a ghost town on Friday evenings.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:58 pm

Clear + Precheck! Match made in heaven.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark
That is my experience also. In addition, even when it is long it moves fast and usually faster than the regular line.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott

There used to be a premier access line for regular TSA screening at the East security checkpoint (at least as of October 2018 - have not been there since). That could have changed when they re arranged Clear recently though.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond

LAS does
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC

International (T5) at ORD used to have one. However I haven't gone through security there since the air-side busing began so I don't know the current state of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.