FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   TSA Precheck at IAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005901-tsa-precheck-iad.html)

Chamor Jan 23, 20 3:53 pm

TSA Precheck at IAD

The precheck line can sometimes get pretty long at IAD. And I don't recall seeing a separate precheck line (or separate entrance) for passengers flying in F or otherwise having premier access. Am I right about that? Is there a better approach (short of getting Clear), such as going to the non-precheck security, where as I recall there is a separate line/entrance for F passengers?

IADFlyer123 Jan 23, 20 4:28 pm

No separate line at IAD for premium passengers. Everyone drops in the same line unless you have CLEAR. With clear and TSA Pre, you will drop in the existing upper level line, if just CLEAR without Pre, you will have to go downstairs.

flyingmike Jan 23, 20 5:09 pm

I've ended up ducking out of the pre check lane and used the regular lane at IAD because it was far far shorter more than a couple of times. I was often flying out around 7:00 pm and pre check seemed stuffed with people boarding international departures just from snooping at boarding passes.

Once the regular lane security guy tried to get me to go back to pre check. I refused.

But yeah, IAD pre check can be a mess.

EWR pre check is even worse though.

Mike

Often1 Jan 23, 20 6:25 pm

Pre-Check processes an average of 6-7 passengers for every passenger in the standard line. Unless the Pre-Check line is 6-7 times longer than the regular line, the fact that it is somewhat longer is irrelevant as it is time, not number of people that matters.

There is no separate priority Pre-Check as Pre-Check itself amounts to a priority.

Irish93DCA Jan 23, 20 6:32 pm

Get CLEAR, problem solved.

mahasamatman Jan 23, 20 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Irish93DCA (Post 31987563)

From the OP:

Originally Posted by Chamor (Post 31987074)
(short of getting Clear)

UA_Flyer Jan 23, 20 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chamor (Post 31987074)
The precheck line can sometimes get pretty long at IAD. And I don't recall seeing a separate precheck line (or separate entrance) for passengers flying in F or otherwise having premier access. Am I right about that? Is there a better approach (short of getting Clear), such as going to the non-precheck security, where as I recall there is a separate line/entrance for F passengers?

There is no F or separate Premier Access line for TSA at IAD.

I have not seen a separate F and/or Premier Access TSA line at any of the US airports I have been to. Has anyone seen it?

emcampbe Jan 23, 20 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 31987608)

I have not seen a separate F and/or Premier Access TSA line at any of the US airports I have been to. Has anyone seen it?

you mean a separate pre line just for F/premier access. No, Iíve never seen it, and donít think it exists.

but what do I know, Iím just based at CVG, where a line of 10 people at pre is pretty busy.

findark Jan 23, 20 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmike (Post 31987313)
I've ended up ducking out of the pre check lane and used the regular lane at IAD because it was far far shorter more than a couple of times. I was often flying out around 7:00 pm and pre check seemed stuffed with people boarding international departures just from snooping at boarding passes.

What day of the week? I routinely flew out of IAD on Fridays and it was a ghost town after 5 o'clock. In all my IAD flying I've never faced any significant wait at security.

Adam1222 Jan 23, 20 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31987643)
What day of the week? I routinely flew out of IAD on Fridays and it was a ghost town after 5 o'clock. In all my IAD flying I've never faced any significant wait at security.

Lucky you. I've never had that experience before evening flights out of Dulles on Thursdays and Fridays. Here's a pic I took from a Thursday in August of the Precheck line at around 5. They've since moved the Clear folks which makes it a little better. But I certainly have not found Dulles a ghost town on Friday evenings.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a47905f4f4.jpg

mctaste Jan 23, 20 7:58 pm

Clear + Precheck! Match made in heaven.

dcpremex Jan 23, 20 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31987643)

That is my experience also. In addition, even when it is long it moves fast and usually faster than the regular line.

drobbva Jan 23, 20 8:38 pm

There used to be a premier access line for regular TSA screening at the East security checkpoint (at least as of October 2018 - have not been there since). That could have changed when they re arranged Clear recently though.

Pittie Pup Jan 23, 20 10:20 pm

LAS does

AceReport Jan 24, 20 6:28 am

International (T5) at ORD used to have one. However I haven't gone through security there since the air-side busing began so I don't know the current state of it.

findark Jan 24, 20 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 31987792)
Lucky you. I've never had that experience before evening flights out of Dulles on Thursdays and Fridays. Here's a pic I took from a Thursday in August of the Precheck line at around 5. They've since moved the Clear folks which makes it a little better. But I certainly have not found Dulles a ghost town on Friday evenings.

Wow :eek:

Yeah, in my ~50 times flying out of IAD in the last three years I've never seen it even close to that bad. The vast majority were Fridays on the ~7:30pm SFO departure (exact timing moved around a bit over the years) so I was probably clearing around 6:45 but I've taken UA340 my fair share too and not run into that.

coolbeans202 Jan 24, 20 8:22 am

While that picture looks bad, each one of those lines goes to a separate ID checker (unless things have changed) so it moves fast. I've seen it like that a few times and don't think I've waited longer than 10-15 mins.

zig666 Jan 24, 20 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mctaste (Post 31987793)
Clear + Precheck! Match made in heaven.

The last three times i've used Clear at IAD lines and processing times have been longer than just doing PreCheck.
Really not that great of an experiecne anymore. I have not seen a crowd as big as the picture in a while, though.

halls120 Jan 24, 20 8:37 am

Originally Posted by coolbeans202 (Post 31989544)
While that picture looks bad, each one of those lines goes to a separate ID checker (unless things have changed) so it moves fast. I've seen it like that a few times and don't think I've waited longer than 10-15 mins.

This. The rare times the lines are that long, pre-check is still better than the CF that is the regular lines, especially during the early to late afternoon crush created by all the international departures headed east.

mh3265a Jan 24, 20 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Irish93DCA (Post 31987563)

CLEAR had a rather long line this AM. Had a 10 minute wait just to get to TSA agent. IAD is a zoo - really a staffing issue by TSA.

figjam75 Jan 24, 20 8:40 am

Clear+PreCheck = goodness

just there last Friday. downstairs Clear without precheck was the way to go. upstairs clear with precheck line was longer than the regular line....:rolleyes:

Adam1222 Jan 24, 20 8:43 am

Originally Posted by coolbeans202 (Post 31989544)

It took 35 minutes that day.
And there and in my experience, the bottleneck for pre-check isn't at ID check, but at the belts/detectors after. There are more ID checkers than metal detectors.

Aussienarelle Jan 24, 20 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Pittie Pup (Post 31988153)
LAS does

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31987632)
you mean a separate pre line just for F/premier access. No, Iíve never seen it, and donít think it exists.

but what do I know, Iím just based at CVG, where a line of 10 people at pre is pretty busy.

LAS does not have a separate line for TSA-pre but does for regular TSA. Same for SAN.

drewguy Jan 24, 20 10:18 am

Not quite the same, but SFO has a GS line (or really a separate entrance bypassing the regular precheck line).

Irish93DCA Jan 24, 20 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 31989611)
CLEAR had a rather long line this AM. Had a 10 minute wait just to get to TSA agent. IAD is a zoo - really a staffing issue by TSA.

WOW....I haven't been through IAD since December before they moved things around. In the past I never had that happen with CLEAR at IAD.

rjburns Jan 24, 20 10:42 am

Try any Monday moring at IAD at 7:30 Am. LOOONG lines at Clear and PreCheck.

Often1 Jan 24, 20 10:57 am

How many minutes to clear? That is the question. How many people in the lines is largely irrelevant because of the speed with which the three different types of line move.

mh3265a Jan 24, 20 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31990159)
How many minutes to clear? That is the question. How many people in the lines is largely irrelevant because of the speed with which the three different types of line move.

Fair point. Our line was extremely long per se (longest I've seen at CLEAR but not long in a normal sense). How CLEAR was managing the flow was the issue.

drewguy Jan 24, 20 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 31990192)
Fair point. Our line was extremely long per se (longest I've seen at CLEAR but not long in a normal sense). How CLEAR was managing the flow was the issue.

So you're saying they actually need to maintain the 4 CLEAR employees to one CLEAR user ratio they have during off-peak hours?

Billygreg Jan 24, 20 12:42 pm

The last time I was at IAD (last week) the problem is that they moved Clear and Precheck off to the side away from the standard Precheck lines but did not give Clear a dedicated security ID checker or dedicated security screening line or belt. So there was a lot of Clear buildup as the checker alternated between Clear and non Clear and then there was the scrum to get in the screening lines where there was 3 lines going into two belts. Very poor experience from Clear and they blamed TSA (which seems right) . TSA moved Clear to give it more room and get it away from the standard Precheck and then they stiff them on the lines dedicated to Clear.

Sulley Jan 24, 20 1:20 pm

IAD and DCA are terrible for PreCheck because everyone in this area has Clearance or a DoD number, which automatically allows a traveler to go through PreCheck.

It's really annoying if you don't work for GovCo or the Military Industrial Complex.

findark Jan 24, 20 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sulley (Post 31990748)
IAD and DCA are terrible for PreCheck because everyone in this area has Clearance or a DoD number, which automatically allows a traveler to go through PreCheck.

It's really annoying if you don't work for GovCo or the Military Industrial Complex.

I was distracted once and walked through the metal detector with my company badge on (not actually a DoD ID). Evidently they are so used to this, the TSA agent just said something like "oh did you forget to take out your CAC?" and I was like "oh yeah" and showed them the badge - forget if they even made me go back through :p

AceReport Jan 24, 20 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 31989994)
Not quite the same, but SFO has a GS line (or really a separate entrance bypassing the regular precheck line).

EWR also.

prometa Jan 24, 20 1:38 pm

do you have a source for this? I know many in these communities who paid for precheck because it was not automatic. Maybe a CAC gets precheck, but there is no obvious documentation to prove one has a security clearance, for good reason.

drewguy Jan 24, 20 1:40 pm

A lot of civilian government travelers also do what private-sector frequent travelers do - pay the $85 (or $100 for GE) to get Pre-check access. I think most of what you're seeing are simply that a lot of people in the Washington area who travel realize it's sensible to have precheck.

FWIW, it's hard to tell the difference in lines at IAD because non-precheck is out of sight down the stairs. At DCA it's easy, and I've seen equally long lines during business travel times to an almost empty precheck line (walked up) vs. a massive regular line a few days after Christmas.

findark Jan 24, 20 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by prometa (Post 31990814)
do you have a source for this? I know many in these communities who paid for precheck because it was not automatic. Maybe a CAC gets precheck, but there is no obvious documentation to prove one has a security clearance, for good reason.

Having a clearance alone does not get you Pre, but many people in DC have a CAC - you don't even need to be directly employed by the government.

mh3265a Jan 26, 20 11:26 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 31990577)
So you're saying they actually need to maintain the 4 CLEAR employees to one CLEAR user ratio they have during off-peak hours?

I don't know how you get that AT ALL from my comment. I was simply saying that CLEAR was mismanaging the flow of the line. Had nothing to do with how many CLEAR employees are at their kiosks. That wasn't the issue. Issue was flow thru security.

Often1 Jan 26, 20 2:21 pm

As a general proposition, I find that Pre-Check at both IAD and DCA runs quickly and with minimal intrusion. Even a physically long line moves swiftly.

prometa Jan 26, 20 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31990963)
Having a clearance alone does not get you Pre, but many people in DC have a CAC - you don't even need to be directly employed by the government.

yep, Iíve had one myself at prior points. I doubt it would give you automatic access to precheck though. Maybe it does, I certainly didnít try. But youĒd think reports of people flashing CACs at the entry to the precheck lines would be numerous if so.

n9536j Jan 26, 20 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31990963)

A CAC does not get precheck (it used to but not anymore). A Gov CAC number can be put in a passengers record and will get precheck. Contractor CAC cards or numbers will not get precheck.